• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Is it worth it? NJ or NY skiing this weekend

Sarah

Certified Ski Diva
I really want to get out skiing this Sunday but can't go for more than a day and am on my own so don't want to drive far. Has anyone been at any of the mountains in northern NJ or southern NY to test the conditions since the rain last Sunday? I'm not expecting miracles but want to see if it is worth a ski warm up and latest boot work testing day somewhere close or if I should take my ice skates instead :rolleyes:

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
Hunter and Windham claim to have gotten something like 2" since the rain, but as far as I know nowhere further south than that got anything. Hunter's got a ton of guns and they're pretty aggressive about snowmaking in the earlier parts of the season, so I figure they're the best bet that far south.

I have no idea if it will actually be any good, but I'll be there on Sunday with some friends if you want to meet up. PM me if you're interested and I'll give you my cell number.

Mom of Redheads

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yeah - DH has a similar dilemma... we have the kids signed up for a 1 hour lesson at Campgaw on Sunday - fortunately they are not experienced enough to notice the ice and anyway, it's only a 1 hour lesson. DD's instructor told me earlier this week they'd likely make snow for the weekend. But the hill is barely a hill, so I wouldn't choose it for a fun day of skiing ourselves...

DH wants to try his new skis - but reluctant to run them first on an icy beginner hill, LOL. But DS needs a companion for an hour after his lesson, so maybe hubby'll succumb to the lure... I still have no skis, so unless I want to rent skis for just 1 hour, I will be watching any children not in a lesson...:grouphug:

BTW, Sarah, I bought a helmet too (at Mt. Everest in Westwood) - it's rather ugly but it was the most comfortable thing I tried on... Sad to say it doesn't come close to matching anything I usually wear skiing...:eek: Oh well, safety first, right?

Sarah

Certified Ski Diva
Hmm, I don't think I will make it as far north as Hunter or Windham, plus last time I went to Hunter I vowed never to go back there after I had someone ski over the front of my skis and the back of my skis in the space of 30 minutes! Windham seems to be slightly better in my opinion.

Mount Peter is probably my closest mountain (or bump). I have never been there but its cheap and I might be tempted just to give my boots a go. I am not sure the conditions at Mountain Creek (which is probably the next closest) will be much better and I am sure it will be more crowded there as well.

Ahh the dilemmas, I might wait until tomorrow morning to make a decision.

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
Where are these small ski areas you mention? We started skiing in the east in the late 70's at Sterling Forest (170') and a whole bunch of 300' areas - Pines, Big Vanilla, Powder Ridge, Vernon Valley/Great Gorge. Those mountains were BIG when we were beginners. We also skied at Belleayre and Hunter, and later on in Vermont and New Hampshire.

My question is - I am not familiar with the names you mention. Are they relatively new (since 1980) or renamed and possibly expanded? I guess I'm showing my age here but I am curious if they've been opening new "bumps" in the East. :noidea:

playoutside

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Where are these small ski areas you mention? We started skiing in the east in the late 70's at Sterling Forest (170') and a whole bunch of 300' areas - Pines, Big Vanilla, Powder Ridge, Vernon Valley/Great Gorge. Those mountains were BIG when we were beginners. We also skied at Belleayre and Hunter, and later on in Vermont and New Hampshire.

My question is - I am not familiar with the names you mention. Are they relatively new (since 1980) or renamed and possibly expanded? I guess I'm showing my age here but I am curious if they've been opening new "bumps" in the East. :noidea:

Let's see....
Sterling Forest is now called Tuxedo Ridge
Mt Peter is a bit west of there in Warwick...it would have been around when you skied. It's quite small, skied there 2-3 years ago...fun for a morning...reminded me of Craigmeur (closed in 1997) where I learned in the 70s.

Vernon Valley/Great Gorge is now called Mountain Creek. Too, too crowded with kids for my taste. Down the road is Hidden Valley which has been around a while too.

Sarah...I'd head to Belleayre, they do a nice job with snow, doesn't feel as hectic/aggressive as Hunter on a weekend.

Sarah

Certified Ski Diva
Thanks for the suggestions and the history of the other mountains. I've been to Bellayre before, I think that was only the 2nd time I had been skiing the first year I moved to the US. It was definitely nice that it wasn't overly crowded but I think I spent half the day on the bunny slopes. But that still might be more of a drive than I like for a day, just over 2 hours for me.

I hate driving, normally I make the other half do the driving but I have to take him to the airport at 5am tomorrow which is why I am thinking about trying to go skiing for the day seeing as I'm up early :-)

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
I was up at Hunter today and it wasn't terrible! :smile:

They've obviously been making a lot of snow this week, and had a lot of guns on today. The whole west side had guns on it all day and was covered in whales with nice soft snow. The front side was decent... definitely a little icy, but I've seen it much worse there, and considering it POURED earlier this week and then got freezing cold I thought they did a great job resurfacing. There was a thin layer of edgeable powder on the less-trafficed trails all day.

It was cold, but not too windy, nice and sunny, and not too crowded.

Overall: expectations exceeded. :smile:

Normally I prefer Windham too, but my friend was driving and had a bunch of $20 off tickets for Hunter, so I wasn't about to complain.

Mom of Redheads

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I can't say I have been to many of these places, just hearing about them from friends or looking at a map... our kids are taking lessons at Campgaw, which is in Mahwah/Ramapo... DH calls it an anthill, but it's 25 min away at most so great for children's lessons (they have 2 magic carpets, and two lifts servicing greens I assume) and they have tubing. They make snow as well...

marta

Angel Diva
I can vouch Mountain Creek conditions have been great. They recovered just fine from the rain. They've been blowing a bunch of nice snow at night too. And honestly it's really pretty empty on weekend mornings, especially early mornings for skiing at South. Vernon base however gets pretty hairy mid day. Reminder to get your park pass on-line first if you plan to ski South to make the process quicker.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga