• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Is it time for new boots?

NbyNW

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
At the end of last season I got a pair of custom insoles made up for my boots .... they feel great, but that's not my problem. The fitter mentioned that I wasn't able to flex my boots, and that might affect my skiing. So, I've been reading up on ankle flex and now I'm thinking this might be contributing to why I'm having trouble staying over my skis, especially on steeper blues.

About my boots: they're going on 10 years old, but not terribly packed out ... they still feel great. I got a lot of use out of the the first 2-3 seasons that I had them, then I had a baby and didn't ski for 3-4 years, and I started up again about 3 years ago but I've been lucky to get 2 ski days a year. They are Tecnica, there's a 70 on the side. I weigh about 125 lbs currently .... when I bought the boots I was around 113-118 lbs. So even at a heavier weight than when the boots were new, I can't flex them.

I'm somewhere between just being happy with the boots that I have, since I don't get out much ... or maybe since I get so few days, I really want to be happy with my equipment and be able to ski the way that I want to. WWYD?

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Did the bootfitter offer any suggestion as to why it is you can't flex them? For example, when put in a 23/23.5 boot, I can't flex the boot at all... even if it's a low flex. The reason is my feet are really large for my height (long toes) and cuff height on a boot is relative to the size of the boot. So a 23.5 boot will have a higher cuff height than a 22.5. If too much of your lower leg is encased in the boot, there's really no way to leverage the boot to flex it. Only solution for me was to cram my foot into the next size down to get the cuff low enough on my shin to where I can leverage it.

lucy

Angel Diva
A lot has changed with ski boots over the last ten years. The liners are better, the stuff that they make the boots has changed, even the way they design the boot to fit feet better. There's a lot of info on the ski diva site about fitting a ski boot and finding a good boot fitter. But I have to say that a good ski boot that fits is the best ever and totally worth the time and effort.

Jilly

Staff member
Flex ratings are not standard across the industry. So a 70 Flex in a Technica Diablo might be more than my Atomic 100.

So my thought....he might be trying to sell you new boots, just because that's what he does. Or like tinymoose states...he might have a good reason.

Too stiff boots are just as bad as too soft. It's a goldielocks thing. Why not try some new boots? You will see that they are much warmer and fit much better than 10 year technology.

Obrules15

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
At one point I was in a Rossi 70 that I couldn't flex, and changed to a Lange 110 that I could flex. There are a lot of variables involved in whether you can flex a boot, not the least of which is the boot. If it doesn't fit your foot correctly or the hinge points are off or etc. etc. Find a good bootfitter, you will be tons happier. Newer boots are much, much, better.

Christy

Angel Diva
You need to be able to flex your boots. It looks like you've already figured out how not being able to flex them is negatively impacting your skiing. I don't really get what argument you could make for not getting new boots.

Analisa

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Boots can be softened - there are ways to cut the plastic or remove bolts. I'd seek a second opinion, ask about options for your current boots (including playing with the geometry. I have a pair of touring boots where it wasn't the plastic that kept me from flexing it - it was the ramp and forward lean that wasn't lining up right with my anatomy).

And try the new boots too. Might find something that works 10x better.

NbyNW

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks everyone for weighing in! Good to know that it might be worth the time and expense to seek out either some kind of adjustment or new equipment altogether. Hopefully I can carve out time to see a bootfitter soon!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna