• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Input Needed: Studded Tires?

newboots

Angel Diva
My daughter’s half-hour commute took her 2.5 hours tonight. It started snowing as she got on the Taconic and six inches (more than was forecasted for the whole storm) fell during her trip. A plow ran off the road.

She made it home safe by crawling at the speed of walk.

Maybe chains are the best alternative? I know I don’t need studded tires except on those days with freezing rain.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Aaaaand we got called for a car that slid off the road due to ice and smacked a phone pole. (Everyone ok). The only responder who could get to the scene had studs.
Plus my commute is sketch-tastic in bad weather with a high probability of a water landing if I go off the road.
I just ordered a set of studded tires.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Aaaaand we got called for a car that slid off the road due to ice and smacked a phone pole. (Everyone ok). The only responder who could get to the scene had studs.
Plus my commute is sketch-tastic in bad weather with a high probability of a water landing if I go off the road.
I just ordered a set of studded tires.

It’s only money, (ha) but being safe is priceless!

SuperSkiMom

Certified Ski Diva
I have a 2009 FWD VW Sportwagen and am trying to figure out the best way to get through at least one Vermont winter with it until I can afford an AWD vehicle. I have excellent snow tires, but beyond a certain pitch angle, I still spin out on snow-covered hills.

I live on a hill.

A neighbor here suggested studded tires, which are legal here and in neighboring states and, I gather, reasonably common.

Can anyone with experience driving with studs tell me what you think? I have heard that they work well in snow and ice, but that you sacrifice traction in other conditions, such as wet roads. Given the nature of New England winters (i.e., a little bit of everything from October to May) I worry that going from regular snow tires to studs might be a lateral move.

Any feedback would be great. Thanks as always, Divas!
We have Saab FWD, and commute from NYC every weekend, going over some of the mountain passes in Vermont has been challenging in the past. Once we were at Mad River Glen, and after a full day of skiing it started to snow. There was no way we were going to be able to make it back over the gap. We decided to put on cables (that we had to special ordered to fit our tires). Let's just say it was not fun putting them on.

For the past 6 years or so, we have used studded tires. They go on in November and stay on until the latest they can legally be on in NY, which is April 15th. Being that we often ski until May, we have pushed that date (actually gone over). They are so much better than cables and are great on the highway. Another suggestion, you might already know, is that when you are going up something like a steep driveway, you have to take off traction control, it is labeled TSD on our car.

TeleChica

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@SallyCat, we had the TDI version of the Sportwagon, same year as you (turned it in on recall for big bucks a month ago), and I absolutely understand your issues with the car--it has nothing to do with your driving. Those cars are fun to drive, but they are not made for snow. We had several problems in VT on gaps--even with snow tires. We could not get back up to Jay from the Montgomery side after trying 5 terrifying times--the car just would not climb all the way up--even with snow tires. Had to drive around the other side to get to our hotel in Jay! Also nearly failed on the climb up to MRG and other tricky spots. As @SuperSkiMom pointed out, its the traction control in part that creates the problem. However, as I discovered driving up to MRG, you can't completely turn off the traction control--it comes back on. You have to keep turning it off. In fact, I held the button down and the car nearly stalled out--I blew it's little electronic mind. (I don't recommend it.) So it really does not solve the issue. We found that you could climb most steeper hills by getting a running start and gunning it. You can't climb slowly. But even that does not always work. Plus it's scary and not particularly safe.

I got so frustrated by it that I bought my own car, a Surbaru Impreza, even though I couldn't really afford it. It was worth it to me to go in debt (not that everyone can do that of course--I don't have kids). Of course, we paid it off with the recall $$ and now it's our main car. :cool:

SuperSkiMom

Certified Ski Diva
@TeleChica that is strange that you could not turn off the traction control on your TDI. I just looked it up for VWs it is called ASR (traction control); ESP is Stability Control, which you cannot turn off. It seems that every year the settings are a bit different for VWs and also different from model to model. Like GTIs do not allow you take off traction control at all.

And I know what you mean about building up enough speed. The problem is that if you get behind traffic going uphill on un-plowed road you are a goner without studs and front wheel drive. It has happened many times to us. (just please don't stop going uphill).

KBee

Angel Diva
Welp, I caved and got 4 new studded tires and some seriously ugly rims on the Outback. It's probably totally overkill, but just don't want to have to deal with sliding around, and we're going to Timberline this year, so we'll be heading up a steeper hill than usual, and in bad conditions. It's just really variable, and we can get massive quantities of snow. (They do take good care of the roads, though.) Hope to be driving up the mountain about 4 times a week, so should help if we get into a sticky slippery situation.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Maybe chains are the best alternative? I know I don’t need studded tires except on those days with freezing rain.
Ever put chains on? Or take them off? Even the radial cable "chains" are quite the PITA. :doh: Also, with true chains, maximum speed is around 40. Or used to be. I don't know anymore; haven't used chains in years. But studs do the job in Maine. And we need them, especially this year. Even FWD with studs isn't enough right now.

newboots

Angel Diva
Good points, @MaineSkiLady !

I only tried to put on chains once, about 40 years ago. I was kind of hoping they’d improved them since then!

Gratefulgal

Certified Ski Diva
I live in Vermont and I don't have snow studs on my Forester, but I do have a good pair of all weathers. We have already had some snowy mornings and I had a couple of hairy moments but the traction control along with the good tires definitely helped. I am not sure if I am going to get snow studs though most people I know have them.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna