• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Input Needed: Studded Tires?

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have a 2009 FWD VW Sportwagen and am trying to figure out the best way to get through at least one Vermont winter with it until I can afford an AWD vehicle. I have excellent snow tires, but beyond a certain pitch angle, I still spin out on snow-covered hills.

I live on a hill.

A neighbor here suggested studded tires, which are legal here and in neighboring states and, I gather, reasonably common.

Can anyone with experience driving with studs tell me what you think? I have heard that they work well in snow and ice, but that you sacrifice traction in other conditions, such as wet roads. Given the nature of New England winters (i.e., a little bit of everything from October to May) I worry that going from regular snow tires to studs might be a lateral move.

Any feedback would be great. Thanks as always, Divas!

Skisailor

Angel Diva
Out here in Montana you would think more folks would used studded snow tires. But they generally avoid them. Unless you are sure you will be driving almost exclusively in deep snow, they make matters worse. If there is even a chance that the studs will contact any pavement beneath the snow you will be skating around. Not good.

So my 2 cents? If for deep snow only, go with studs. If it's more a mixed bag, good snow tires. I use Bridgestone Blizzards on my Outback and have had no trouble, even going up steep hills. They're awesome.

Skier31

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have used studded snows after spinning out on some black ice. I love them and have not noticed decreased traction in other conditions. They go on in October and do not come off until May.

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
Sorry if this is an obvious question, but have you considered buying a set of snow chains for particularly nasty condition days? Yes, not as convenient or easy as studded tires, but beats buying a set of studded tires, trying to sell them, and buying another set of snows to fit your new vehicle. I just googled around and I bet you could get a good set for under $100.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sorry if this is an obvious question, but have you considered buying a set of snow chains for particularly nasty condition days? Yes, not as convenient or easy as studded tires, but beats buying a set of studded tires, trying to sell them, and buying another set of snows to fit your new vehicle. I just googled around and I bet you could get a good set for under $100.

Thanks, everyone! And @ilovepugs that is not an obvious question at all; I hadn't even thought about that. That may well be my solution.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The more I think about it, it should be pretty easy to just keep an eye on the weather and put the chains on pre-emptively if it's going to be snowy. I'll likely end up substitute teaching and maybe doing some emergency services work so I won't always know what kind of roads I'll be on and whether they get plowed regularly, etc. But if I can get the chains on my front tires pretty quickly ahead of time, I should be good.

Jilly

Staff member
Studs are better for packed snow and ice. If you can use studs can you use chains?

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Vermont allows studded tires all the time and doesn't have any laws about chains. I think I would be skittish driving with studs on non-snowy roads, which would be a lot of the time here. The roads do get plowed reasonably quickly and efficiently, so I think having a low-profile, easy-ish to install set of chains for the two front wheels would probably keep me out of trouble in snowstorms.

mountainwest

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I used studded tires for the first time last winter (Halloween-May 1st) and was very happy to have them. The roads here have packed snow & ice on them often, and they worked really well in those conditions. I didn't notice any lesser performance/traction on other types of road conditions.

Skier31

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I drive back and forth on I-70 from Denver to Aspen all winter. Lots of time on dry pavement. No problem. I can’t imagine dealing with chains.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I have snow tires -- no studs -- on my Subaru Outback here in Vermont, and it's fine. When it's really bad, I just drive slowly. I think a lot of people think if you have 4-wheel drive and snow tires you can go like you're in the Indy 500, no matter what the conditions. No. Just take it easy, and you'll be alright.

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
The more I think about it, it should be pretty easy to just keep an eye on the weather and put the chains on pre-emptively if it's going to be snowy. I'll likely end up substitute teaching and maybe doing some emergency services work so I won't always know what kind of roads I'll be on and whether they get plowed regularly, etc. But if I can get the chains on my front tires pretty quickly ahead of time, I should be good.

I actually haven’t used chains before but I googled them before making the suggestion because I didn’t want to chime in with totally impractical advice. It looks like they’re pretty easy to put on, but then you have to drive very slowly — like maximum 30mph. If conditions are bad enough to justify chains on top of snows... yeah you may want to limit your speed anyhow.

I feel like for 95% of scenarios you might encounter, with snow tires, FWD and no studs/chains, Vermont is perfectly manageable with patience and a careful application of momentum. It’s the 5% of scenarios that you have to worry about and if you live on a mountain, you might come across those scenarios more than I did in the ‘burbs. I still remember my shame after winter storm Stella at getting stuck on the steepest part of the Bolton Valley access road!

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I actually haven’t used chains before but I googled them before making the suggestion because I didn’t want to chime in with totally impractical advice. It looks like they’re pretty easy to put on, but then you have to drive very slowly — like maximum 30mph. If conditions are bad enough to justify chains on top of snows... yeah you may want to limit your speed anyhow.

I feel like for 95% of scenarios you might encounter, with snow tires, FWD and no studs/chains, Vermont is perfectly manageable with patience and a careful application of momentum. It’s the 5% of scenarios that you have to worry about and if you live on a mountain, you might come across those scenarios more than I did in the ‘burbs. I still remember my shame after winter storm Stella at getting stuck on the steepest part of the Bolton Valley access road!

Ah, that's true about driving slowly with chains. I guess if they are easy to put on I can have them in the car just for peace of mind if I ever get stuck. I have Bridgestone Blizzaks, which are good snow tires. It's just that going up steep hills when there's snow, sometimes I spin out and wish I had torque on the rear wheels. And what I'm doing here is trying to find a way around that, but of course everything is a compromise. And you're right, most of the time I'll be fine. I just hate that feeling of approaching a hill and thinking "please, please, please let me make it."

Last edited:

geargrrl

Angel Diva
I am surprised no one is talking about a high quality winter rubber tire like a Blizzak. We used to use studs, and since we switched over to non studded high-quality winter tires have never looked back. we used to have to make a run for it to get up our driveway with studs because of the ice on driveway and the cement has the grooves to prove it. This never happens with our good winter tires. Plus studs are incredibly destructive, to Road surfaces and highways

Jilly

Staff member
We are not allowed studs in Ontario. Maybe most of Canada. They would be useful in the ice storms we are getting. But the maintenance on the roads was the factor for banning them.

I hate to suggest this, but maybe a winter driving school might be helpful.

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You have Blizzaks, which are, in my humble opinion, are the best snow tires out there. I don't think that studs would do a lot to improve what the Blizzaks can handle, except on ice. I had an Audi A4 (2005) convertible with FWD and Blizzaks and DH has a FWD Audi A4 station wagon (2009). Since they are cousins to the VW, I should think they would be similar. We live on a relatively steep hill, too. I have passed Jeeps and other AWD cars on the side of the road. I just go slowly and keep moving. Getting started again on a hill is almost impossible, FWD or AWD.

When you say spin out, what exactly is happening? Front wheels spinning? Back end sliding out? Fishtailing? Not able to steer around the curve?

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I had a fwd Volkswagen and totally understand. They are fast cars which makes the tires spin out. No matter what tires you have, you first have to remember that and give less gas then you think you need to. Any snow tires will work, studded or not it’s a highly personal preference. Chains are also great to have if you need to get up something slick or get stuck but unless you are just driving on a completely snow covered dirt road they are impractical for regular driving. I always kept a set in my car for situational use but not in place of snow tires. Unfortunately you kind of need both for this car, at least I did.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yeah, I have Blizzaks and LOVE them. But I did spin out going up a medium-steep hill last winter. It was covered with packed snow, and when I got to the steepest pitch, my front wheels just spun and spun. They eventually caught and I just barely made it into the driveway.

Maybe those zip-tie traction thingys would be good to have. Much easier to put on than chains, anyway.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
[QUOTE="Jilly, post: 368327, member: 34"

I hate to suggest this, but maybe a winter driving school might be helpful.[/QUOTE]

No reason to qualify the suggestion, it is a very good one that I hadn't considered. I think that would be a very good idea. I definitely slow down in winter weather, and downshift rather than hit the brakes, but I imagine I have a lot to learn. Thanks for the suggestion!

newboots

Angel Diva
I think it might pay to take note of @Gloria ’s suggestion. The tiniest acceleration can start the tires spinning on slick, packed snow; ice; or slush. The art of going just fast enough to keep forward momentum is tricky. I think the Blizzaks and some easy chains in the back might be a good solution, along with anxiety reduction techniques!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna