• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Injury-related Depression

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I'm in week 7 after my bike accident, and I'm in in a funk.

Let me back this up a bit: I'm very lucky. In all my years of skiing and biking, I'd never been injured until this summer. And even with that, I got off easy: No broken bones, no head injury, no lost teeth; just a bad laceration across my upper knee that sliced my patella tendon. This was on July 18, so again, lucky. I have plenty of time to recover before ski season kicks in, and I've been doing PT and working my ass off to make sure I get there in good order.

Despite all this, I've been depressed -- which is weird, because I'm not a depressive person. I know that many others have been injured far, far more severely than I have. And as I said, I know I was very fortunate that it wasn't a lot worse. In spite of this, I'm still blue. I've gotten a bit better since I started going to PT and exercising at the gym. But I still have ROM and strength issues to deal with, and there was a lot I couldn't do this summer because of my injury, and that has me down. I want to be done with this.

I know there've been many on this forum who have suffered bad injuries, so I thought I'd open this up for discussion. How'd you feel, emotionally and mentally? How'd you cope? Any insight on injury-related depression?

Last edited:

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh, man, yeah.

For me, there were I think several factors:

Not getting to do the activities I loved
Not getting outside
Not getting enough exercise
Worrying about what the future would hold

(maybe other stuff, who knows?)

Are you getting outside? Even going out onto my deck or looking at my flowers in the back yard made a huge difference for my mood. It wasn't the Outdoors writ large, but it was green and colorful and growing.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, I've been getting outside, but not to do the things I love: biking and hiking are not yet possible, and anything more than a short walk is hard. We're going for a beach vacation next week. Last year we brought our bikes and did 40 & 50 mile rides and it was so much fun. Sadly, not this year. I think that's why I'm a bit down, too.

Skier31

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The lack of exercising created endorphins along with the inability to do the things we love is difficult.

To the extent you can find things to do that either need to be done or that you normally do not have time to do can help. Allow yourself to be sad but dont let it take over.

You will feel better as you heal!

Nancy

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
It's been almost 6 months since my ACL avulsion fracture and flap tear meniscus with weekly personal trainer, lots of PT, 2 x week at gym on my own, bike riding almost every day AND I still worry if I will be able to ski or not. My knee is not what it was. Period. I'm afraid to run or put pressure on my knee and any wrong turn/swing I will notice it. How can I possibly ski with knowing the slightest inkling will create pain?

So I get how you feel as I'm a bit depressed about the possibility that maybe I do need surgery for ACL and meniscus .......why isn't it totally healed when I'm doing all the right things?

I have several options for ski trips for winter and have NOT committed to one of them:

Taos
Crested Butte
Revelstoke and Kicking Horse
Switzerland
Diva West at Mammoth

I did buy my Epic Tahoe Local Pass (not to mention new Black Crow skis) but paid for insurance for the pass.

I understand how you feel...

Powgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I plateaued about midway thru my PT, and it really got me down...in fact, one morning, I went into PT in tears, with my swollen, stiff knee...I feared I would not be able to ski this year.

And then I made a huge leap, and another...and I got cleared today to ski! Though, I was instructed to stay off the bumps.

It IS frustrating to feel the lack of strength and ROM, but I just know it will come for you soon!

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have several options for ski trips for winter and have NOT committed to one of them

Kinda in the same boat. I committed to some intense lesson groups at my home mountain, but I had all sorts of big ideas - cat skiing in the BC, Silverton, stuff like that - that are on hold until I see what my knee can tolerate. If the lesson groups don't work out, I can ski on my own or go snowshoe with the dogs.

However, Wendy, I wouldn't expect your recovery to be nearly the ordeal I've been "enjoying."

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
In my experience as a lifelong depression sufferer who is deeply grateful for both Morrissey and Prozac, it's a hallmark of depression to realize (as you do) that your sadness is out of proportion to the reality of your situation. That's not to suggest that therapy, medication and that whole ball of wax are called for, but just to validate your mental/emotional difficulty. You are going through a legitimate and serious struggle, and you don't need to dismiss or minimize the mental aspect of that just because you were lucky and things weren't worse.

It may be worth seeking out a sports psychologist, or one who deals with work-related injuries just to see if they can help you with strategies to keep your morale up as you work back to being able to be active again.

Good luck; wishing you the best!

MsJen

Certified Ski Diva
I've worked with people in a rehab setting, and do see a lot of people with sports-related injuries. It is actually very common to feel down or frustrated, particularly if you are used to being active. Injuries do take time to recover from and sometimes it's a bit of an up and down journey, but usually I do see better mechanics and understanding afterwards! Don't dismiss or trivialise what you are going through just because "it could be worse" etc., because it can be frustrating and demoralising. I've had on and off issues with knee from running and I always feel guilty for complaining about it, as it could be a lot worse, but it's not helpful to think like that.

I just wanted to say good luck with it, and keep doing your homework! :smile:

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
You are going through a legitimate and serious struggle, and you don't need to dismiss or minimize the mental aspect of that just because you were lucky and things weren't worse.

Don't dismiss or trivialise what you are going through just because "it could be worse" etc., because it can be frustrating and demoralising. I've had on and off issues with knee from running and I always feel guilty for complaining about it, as it could be a lot worse, but it's not helpful to think like that.

I just wanted to say good luck with it, and keep doing your homework! :smile:

Thank you for this. I guess it's because I hate to be seen as a whiner when I have so much to be grateful for. But I do appreciate your saying that my feelings are valid and that I shouldn't dismiss or trivialize them. It means a lot. It also means a lot to see that other people have experienced the same feelings.

@santacruz skier , my heart goes out to you. Six months? Ack. I've only been in this boat for about 7 weeks, and I'm going nuts. Wishing you all the best. I hope you can make it to Mammoth!

Last edited:

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I hope you all heal up, and cheer up. All great comments on here to boost your spirits. Being hurt sucks, it is hard to not be sad/depressed especially when the weather is great and you can't do anything.

@ski diva what about renting a bike for 2 and have Jon pedal on vacation? If your PT Dr. allows that? Jon can do most of the work? If at the beach I hope you can take a boat ride or perhaps find a kayak or something that isn't going to hurt your hurt knee?

@santacruz skier I hope you turn the corner sounds like you're doing all the right things w/PT and exercise.

Yes to all of us skiing together at Mammoth. keep healing everyone. and keep the faith it will get better.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You're not a whiner! And your feelings are valid. 'No' isn't your favorite word, is it? (not mine!). While your body is giving you 'no' or 'not yet', it's easy to take that personally. Or to turn it into a 'failure' of yourself in your mind. It's not! But there is merit to SallyCat's suggestion. If you can seek out a professional ear/advice to what you think/feel/fear might be 'whining', you might find out otherwise along the way.

@nopoleskier - I'm having this vision of Jon doing all the peddling at the rate they are used to! And for miles and miles! :yield:And I bet he'd still manage a smile!

Hang in there, ski diva!

snowski/swimmouse

Angel Diva
It's been almost 6 months since my ACL avulsion fracture and flap tear meniscus with weekly personal trainer, lots of PT, 2 x week at gym on my own, bike riding almost every day AND I still worry if I will be able to ski or not. My knee is not what it was. Period. I'm afraid to run or put pressure on my knee and any wrong turn/swing I will notice it. How can I possibly ski with knowing the slightest inkling will create pain?

So I get how you feel as I'm a bit depressed about the possibility that maybe I do need surgery for ACL and meniscus .......why isn't it totally healed when I'm doing all the right things?

I have several options for ski trips for winter and have NOT committed to one of them:

Taos
Crested Butte
Revelstoke and Kicking Horse
Switzerland
Diva West at Mammoth

I did buy my Epic Tahoe Local Pass (not to mention new Black Crow skis) but paid for insurance for the pass.

I understand how you feel...
That's an awesome list and not knowing what you can do can certainly get to one...

snowski/swimmouse

Angel Diva
Unfortunately, I've "been there" several times and as one who's always been active, it can really get to one. I love the tandem bike suggestion! I've a close friend who's even more active than I am and early August she broke her knee cap in half and the femur just under it. She's expressed the same feelings as you, but last night was able to get in my pool for the first time since the accident and said it made her feel 1000% better both physically and mentally. You'll have similar break throughs. Warm Hugs!
Skimouse

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga