• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Incredible Snow

C

CMCM

Our area has had 80+ inches of snow in 9 days. Deep thick powder...incredible! I just wish the storms would stop for a bit so I can get up there and play in it! And this is after 3 weeks in January with no snow, 50-60 degree sunny weather. For some reason, February in the Calif. Sierras is often the big snow month.

CAdreaming

Certified Ski Diva
Hi CMCM,

We live in Sacramento area so we ski at Tahoe. We so desperately wanted to ski this weekend but we couldn't due to the weather condition. :(
So, we are just longingly looking at the direction of mountains for all the new snows that are waiting for us. :drool:
We are planning to go up there to ski on this coming Friday. We have season pass to Sierra at Tahoe and according to the Weather.com, this Friday day should be beautiful day to ski there.

My DH and I can hardly wait. :drool:
It will be great with all the new snows. More snow please.:thumbsup:

SkiGAP

Angel Diva
it's been snowing off and on here the past 4-5 days and right now it's really coming down! I feel an Aura day coming on...and a mysterious illness that I think will flare up on friday after my staff meeting!

Daria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I was lucky enough to have spent all of last week Tahoe and it was fabulous! From the weather reports, it looks like Friday should be a blue bird day before the next one hits :ski2:

Squaw

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Lake Tahoe area skiing -- at least Squaw -- as been INCREDIBLE.

My husband came in Thursday, son and I followed Friday night. MISERABLE drive. CalsTrans posted "4 hour waits at Applegate" -- a spot at lower elevation where they check chains. But it was largely a bluff, I think to discourage people.

At Squaw.... :yahoo:

Saturday: a bit to the heavy side. But easily 8-24" depending on the spot and the drifting. A bit groomed, but that is not where I ski, so I can hardly report on that fairly. Upper mountain slow to open, so KT22 got quite skied out. But even so, it was tracked powder, with some firmer moguls developing on the West Face, GS Bowl and even on Red Dog Ridge. Headwall opened, then Granite Chief opened by 1:30, but I stayed on the lower mountain, as it was still quite good - such as Sun Bowl and North Bowl, on Headwall.

Sunday: much lighter snow. Lots falling from the sky. Headwall and upper mountain never opened, but who cared!:bounce:

Monday: WOW most of the mountain opened. (Not Silverado, for those who know Squaw. Hasn't been open yet this season, and today a 8' deep slide occured when the area was bombed - taking out all the newly accumulated snow. So who knows when we will get in there.) In the meantime, KT, Headwall and Granite opened in rapid succession, the throng moving up the hill like locusts. A break in the storm overnight let mountain op's and patrol do a heroic job getting things going. Broken Arrow, Tower 16, Sun Bowl, Light Towers, C2 Chutes, Dead Tree, Rock Garden -- all in FINE shape. :thumbsup:

Our son is part of the Freestyle team, and the coaches late yesterday sent the older mogul team boys home to find beacons, under armor, and shovels, in anticipation of the deep powder and BIG drops from rocks/cliffs like No Way Out ( 30-40 ft drop, Cornice 2 Bowl) and Adrenaline, the 50-65 ft monster off Headwall. I saw some of what they were doing -- pretty impressive. Ski patrol came by Adrenaline, as it is noted for its flat landing and deep "burial" landings -- and they were happy to find that the kids had shovels out and ready to help teammates who made the jump. Including my son. :loco: However he broke his ski doing it... from the chair I could see him down the hill, stopping and holding up his ski. Hours later he walks in the condo, dead Gotama in hand. Coaches lent him a pair for the rest of the day....

So yes, it has been a wild few days at Squaw. And I imagine these stories can be told about the other Tahoe ski areas. And tomorrow may be even better, with Wednesday clearing for a Blue Bird.

Jen

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna