• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Icelantic Nia Pro 105 - one day review

K.LoSki

Certified Ski Diva
Hi Ladies,

I'm always looking for and reading ski reviews. No one asked for this one, at least not lately, but i figured id post about this ski since i skied it all day yesterday and there isnt a ton of info on it. I skied this ski at kirkwood, on a true powder day. ~30 inches in the last 2 days since Friday night and it was not sierra cement, it was light and dry. I'm 5'7 and 195 lbs im not a super hard charger but i do like to drop into bowls, ski some steeper terrain, trees and go all over the place. The ski is a fully cambered ski, i was worried about this since i've never skied a ski like this. It was also the widest and longest ski i've ever skied, it's 105 under foot as the name implies and i skied it in a 169. I clicked in and honestly hardly gave it a thought after that. Im not sure if it was the hero powder or what but i never felt like this was too big or not manageable, although this ski wants to charge! I was getting knocked into the backseat quite a bit on the first few runs. Admittedly my powder technique is a work in progress, but i learned how to manage it by lunch. It's very surfy, stayed on top of the snow well even with my less than good technique. It felt thick and heavy underfoot when standing around, maybe that was the demo bindings or maybe its just because i've never skied anything wider than a 99. It was never chattery and never left me feeling like it wasn't stable. I even tried a chute off 6 with this ski and it felt more than capable, in fact i think this ski wants to do things like that. I didn't get to ski a lot of trees with it but when i did it was super loose and surfy and easy to slash and pivot and turn on a dime. For reference the two other skis i ski are santa ana 93s (older model with 2 sheets of metal) and when there is fresh snow i have a pair of QST Lumen 99s. What i didn't like, it was really heavy and hard to skate ski/traverse with. It could have been i was just tired but it definitely was tough to skate ski with, something i never have an issue with. Also because of the fully cambered tip and tails i found myself easily crossing the tails at times, which was weird. I'm sure i'd get used to that and maybe it was the width but i definitely crossed the tails a couple of times. It also performed well in the bumps which were mostly soft powder, but some of the firmer ones at the end of the day too, and managed to hold well on "groomed" runs. I'd be interested to see how this ski does on heavier snow, the sierra cement we get here in Tahoe. It's got a pretty extreme sidecut which i think helps on the groomers. From my limited experience, I would not daily driver this ski, or take it out on a non powder day. My daily is a 93 under foot, so maybe if you daily a wider ski already, you'd like this, but i think the shape of the ski really lends itself to powder despite being a 105. It seems like a truly unique ski and it's made in Denver which is cool. I may try and demo it again, i don't have anything to compare it to as far as powder skis go but i wanted to offer my thoughts. Oh also, the top sheet is really cool looking and i definitely got compliments on it.

Verve

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Great write up! Sounds like a wonderful day of skiing. I think you might mean that the ski is fully rockered which is also sometimes confusingly called “reverse cambered”. In this case, they tout their reflective rocker which “mirrors the side cut” of the ski but I’ll be darned if I could tell you what that means in practical terms. Anyway, just noting in case anyone else is thrown off by the mention of a fully cambered powder ski.

K.LoSki

Certified Ski Diva
Great write up! Sounds like a wonderful day of skiing. I think you might mean that the ski is fully rockered which is also sometimes confusingly called “reverse cambered”. In this case, they tout their reflective rocker which “mirrors the side cut” of the ski but I’ll be darned if I could tell you what that means in practical terms. Anyway, just noting in case anyone else is thrown off by the mention of a fully cambered powder ski.
Yes you are correct! I realized after I wrote it but couldn’t edit haha reverse camber/fully rockered is the shape.

leia1979

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I was at Kirkwood this past weekend, too. Occasionally, if I wasn't paying attention, I found myself up to my knees in powder!

How would you compare the Icelantic to your QST Lumen? I haven't tried anything wider than a 96 myself.

K.LoSki

Certified Ski Diva
I was at Kirkwood this past weekend, too. Occasionally, if I wasn't paying attention, I found myself up to my knees in powder!

How would you compare the Icelantic to your QST Lumen? I haven't tried anything wider than a 96 myself.
it was deep this weekend!

The Nia felt so thick and heavy when i was standing around but it did not feel unruly or heavy while actually skiing it. The QST lumen 99 feels very thin and light and not particularly energetic to me, it feels very easy to ski. The qst lumen does feel pretty playful in the trees with like under 8inch of snow. It did not float as well as the nia obviously. The Nia felt more chargy than the QST and very stable under foot. I really dont like my QSTs in anything other than fresh snow, they dont give me confidence on firm groomers, and sometimes the wide shovel gets a little squirrely on firm snow. The lumens also dont pop out of turns like my santa anas but they are quite fun in the trees. I think the Nia just felt like more ski but super fun in the trees, just wants to slide around so easily. Also, i'm not sure if it was just me not being used to the reverse camber type shape but i had a hard time jumping off little side hits and such on the Nia whereas i feel like the QST is quite poppy. I enjoy my QST 99 in very specific conditions. The Nia i think held its own on the "groomers" but it was so hard to tell because it was just such a deep day. I also didnt have a hard time with the Nia in bumps. I wish i tired the QST 106 last weekend too, to compare. The 99 is not a daily driver for me, and it falls a little short on deep days 10in + (probably due to me as a skier and not the tool), so i'm currently looking to add a "mid fat" powder ski. Im demoing the Moment Bella this weekend, will report back on that too.

leia1979

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Im demoing the Moment Bella this weekend, will report back on that too.
Oh please do! Thank you for the detailed reply. Did the Kirkwood demo center have the Nia? I found their demo fleet to be really lacking when I've looked. Like their only Sheeva 9 was way too short for me.

K.LoSki

Certified Ski Diva
Oh please do! Thank you for the detailed reply. Did the Kirkwood demo center have the Nia? I found their demo fleet to be really lacking when I've looked. Like their only Sheeva 9 was way too short for me.
Yeah i was super bummed with their demo selection. I actually demo'd it from Mountain West over in south lake at the Y. He's sold most off his demos off but Icelantic and dropped off next years skis off so he had them in the shop for a week. They've got good demos earlier in the season. I'd love to demo the new sheeva 9 and santa ana but it's hard to find in the right lengths.

Porcupine

Certified Ski Diva
Nice! I actually just bought these skis (only used them for 4 days, all at Alta - 3 days was 4-6" pow, 1 was surprisingly skied out). Totally agree with most of what you said - sooooo surfy on powder, springy, turns on a dime, surprisingly forgiving on moguls, surprisingly decent in groomers where it's just dust on crust and you are connecting to the next gate. I feel I can't get on edge as well as narrower skis but that could just be my inadequate skill. I thought it would be difficult to ski but it was really easy to control right away for me. Agreed it doesn't feel wide at all (I'm used to 92 as DD). Really love them.

The ONLY thing that I feel it is "weak" is traverses - I have to put a lot more effort in (I expected this given that it's full rocker and they are wider and heavier). I'm ok with this in exchange for floating on top of powder instead of sinking :smile:

I set it up with protector attack bindings, phantom, and new ski tune at my local shop.

Bonus: tons of complements. One woman even jokingly "screamed" at me: "GIMMIE THOSE POPPY SKIS RIGHT NOW" :rotf:

Totally useless but braggy pic: Me & My aunt showing off our skis (hers is the maiden 101)

IMG_3498.JPG

K.LoSki

Certified Ski Diva
Wow this is awesome! This is exactly my experience! Glad you enjoyed them. Traversing was brutal on these things. I could hardly get them to skate ski (which was rough at kirkwood cause i was traversing everywhere). As long as i had speed traversing sideways was ok, but if i sunk or had to skate ski it was exhausting.

They are such pretty skis i got compliments too! I skated next years model which is also very pretty but slightly different looking. If i take them out again this weekend like i want, ill take a picture. I cant believe i didnt get one last weekend.

Also those Alta powder baskets are sick!

Porcupine

Certified Ski Diva
OoooooooOOOoOo would love to see a photo. Icelantics really have such pretty top sheets!

Haha yeah, it is pretty tiring skating but I remind myself it's the price for not sinking when I get to those stashes. Would love to hear what you think about other powder skis you try, since it sounds like we are pretty similar.

You totally should get the Alta baskets next time you ski here, it's at the Albion base shop for sure. They are also surprisingly durable baskets. I was fully expecting to destroy them in a couple days or they turn yellow or something... but I've used them for 80 ish days now between 3 seasons and they look great!

MotherDuck

Certified Ski Diva
I actually demo'd it from Mountain West over in south lake at the Y.
So good to know that SLT has a shop with ICELANTIC demos. I just came back from CO and was stunned by how beautiful these skis are when I wondered into an ICELANTIC store without knowing anything about them. Then I learned that are handmade skis built in Colorado.

Attachments

• 310783BC-40D4-4A68-A4BD-CBD4E6D35A19.jpeg
    310783BC-40D4-4A68-A4BD-CBD4E6D35A19.jpeg
    652.5 KB · Views: 13

MotherDuck

Certified Ski Diva
Thrilled to see ICELANTIC demo tent at Palisades today! I was about to leave but am hoping they have my sizes for me to demo tomorrow. It’s funny that I bumped into this brand twice within a week, in 2 different states. Before Monday, I have never heard about them.

K.LoSki

Certified Ski Diva
Thrilled to see ICELANTIC demo tent at Palisades today! I was about to leave but am hoping they have my sizes for me to demo tomorrow. It’s funny that I bumped into this brand twice within a week, in 2 different states. Before Monday, I have never heard about them.
Did you get to ski any of them?

MotherDuck

Certified Ski Diva
Did you get to ski any of them?
Yes!

I had to wait a bit for the skis of my size to come back, but I got to demo 2 ICELANTIC skis yesterday - Riveter 95 and Maiden 102.

They both felt thick and bulky underfoot and over the shoulder(when I carried them), which probably was a normal feeling because I just came off from my Stockli Nela 88. Both ICELANTIC skis felt dull on icy runs.

I didn’t have much feelings for Riveter 95 but the Maiden 102 I demoed in the afternoon felt very powerful pushing through the afternoon slushes. They made skiing over slushy terrain fun instead of annoying. Not sure if it was because of the width or its built. Probably both. I can imagine they would be fun for powder days too. As a comparison, my Nela 88 felt weak on the slushy terrain.

The lady who demoed the Riveter 95 reported that she needed to really drive them for good carving. She skied with them over moguls and trees and she thought they are fun.

Unfortunately, they didn’t have a Nia Pro for me to demo, but I heard the rep talking to another skier that Nia Pro and Saba Pro are similar products.

It was definitely a magical experience to be able to demo them within a week of noticing this brand for the first time. If I have the budget for a pair of powder (or slushy day) skis, Icelantic will be my top choice.

Attachments

• 4BCC6767-77D3-4E0A-8E7D-2578B96A513A.jpeg
    4BCC6767-77D3-4E0A-8E7D-2578B96A513A.jpeg
    470.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 5FF384AC-19F1-4D17-BACB-DF1CE4889F0B.jpeg
    5FF384AC-19F1-4D17-BACB-DF1CE4889F0B.jpeg
    644.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 74209798-7E4D-41C5-B40D-64C48BFB268D.jpeg
    74209798-7E4D-41C5-B40D-64C48BFB268D.jpeg
    355.6 KB · Views: 9
  • A4B7749F-A250-4A96-9B68-0CA49957BCC3.jpeg
    A4B7749F-A250-4A96-9B68-0CA49957BCC3.jpeg
    292.7 KB · Views: 9

MotherDuck

Certified Ski Diva
BTW, in case anyone skiing at Tahoe area are interested in demoing ICELANTIC skis, the rep said the Mountain West in South Lake Tahoe and True North at Northstar Village have ICELANTIC demos.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
BTW, in case anyone skiing at Tahoe area are interested in demoing ICELANTIC skis, the rep said the Mountain West in South Lake Tahoe and True North at Northstar Village have ICELANTIC demos.
Mountain West in SLT..... where is that? I know True North of course... only too well.

FindingWest

Diva in Training
It’s so nice to read a recent review on these! I have the Maiden 101 Lites for touring and powder. I love them for fresh powder but they do suffer in the chop being the Lite version. I’m hoping to one day get dedicated powder skis with either the Tyrolia protector women’s or the Knee Mist women’s bindings.

I am very intrigued by the full rocker of the Nia Pro’s. I just need to demo some once I decide to jump on them. I’ve been told they’re a ski you either love or hate. The downfall of how poorly they skate makes sense given that there’s no camber.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna