• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: I need new skis, too many choices

vishali

Diva in Training
I am 5'4, 120lbs. Ski VT and NY. I ski mostly ski blacks, carve pretty well, need practice on crud over ice. I only go out West once a year. Can someone recommend a ski for me? What length too? It's been a while since I bought anything. Will pay what I need to to be happy. I am in NY now and none of the stores have sales people who know anything at all. HELP!

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
While I haven't skied it it sounds to me like the Volkl Aurora would be an excellent choice for you. Ski Diva has skied it, maybe she'll pop in here. I'm thinking somewhere in the 160ish range although I'm not sure what lengths are available in that ski. I'm 5'5" although quite a bit heavier and my carver is a 163 while my mid-fat (every day ski for me here in Colorado except for coaching is 176 twin tip). Another might be the Nordica Firefox? Not sure, don't have much knowledge of those skis.

Jilly

Staff member
Sounds like you want a high performance all mountain ski. Take a look at Ski Press and their ski finder: https://www.skipressworld.com/ca/ Now that's the Canadian edition. There is an american one too. That should help narrow things down. Then demo, demo and demo!! Pay to demo if you have too. Some shops will use the demo amount towards purchase.

I'm 5'4, 160lbs, my carver is 154 Rossi Z5 at the moment. This was great today in about 2 1/2" of fresh over packed.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Robyn is right -- the Volkl Aurora is a great all mountain ski. I would highly recommend it for just about any conditions, though it'd probably be too stiff for the bumps, and not wide enough for the deepest pow. The Nordica Conquer might be a good choice, too. I've skied both, and I think they're fairly similar. I think the Firefox would be way too narrow for an all mountain ski. It's fun, but it's more of a front side groomer.

Try to demo, if you can. Choosing a ski is a matter of personal preference, and not everyone agrees on what is best.

vishali

Diva in Training
new skis

Wow, thank you all so much for the suggestions. Ill will let you know what happens. There is no where open for demos for a few weeks, so it will be a while before I get them.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga