• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

I have decided to retire - SO EXCITED!

MI-skier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Congrats! My mom was also a teacher so I know you've put in a lifetime of growing others. Enjoy your next chapter.

mustski

Angel Diva
So, what's the plan? Reno? This year?

I know, it's early.
We figured we'd just move in with you. Where did you decide to land? JK! Gavin has one more year at the University and then a gap year at home so we're staying put for 2 years. I'm hoping to do some house trading with others and taking some travel time as it comes. It wasn't really planned but the golden handshake will cover the insurance costs until medicare kicks in. I'm covered by my district but Bob isn't so that's a $1000/month payment which also includes Gavin. A good friend of mine just lost her son to brain cancer. We were pregnant together. She had insurance for him so at least she rests easy knowing that everything that could be done, was done. That's kind of my mantra now. We have Kaiser and that is California only or - at a higher rate - Colorado or Hawaii. Reno is good because it's close enough to Cali for general care. We will keep our Big Bear cabin to keep a primary residence in Cali and make sure we are here at least 183 days a year. Once I hit 65, we plan to hit a more tax friendly state and Reno is a really good option due to it's proximity to Tahoe.

IN THE MEANTIME @SkiBam and @Jilly - if you know anyone who would like to come to California during Diva East next year, we would love to trade houses! We want to go to Tremblant! We live halfway between Sea World and Disneyland and are 5 miles from a magnificent beach! For those with small children (under 12) we are only 5 miles from Legoland!

va_deb

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
How exciting, @mustski! Congrats! What is your closest ski area in Cali? If you ever want to do a house swap and come to the Washington DC area to be a tourist, do museums and historical sites, or enjoy the Virginia countryside and a change of seasons, please PM me. :smile:

mustski

Angel Diva
How exciting, @mustski! Congrats! What is your closest ski area in Cali? If you ever want to do a house swap and come to the Washington DC area to be a tourist, do museums and historical sites, or enjoy the Virginia countryside and a change of seasons, please PM me. :smile:
I live at the beach so my house would be desirable in the summer! I think we have decided to airbnb it but I would totally trade with someone and it doesn't have to be the same weeks!

snowski/swimmouse

Angel Diva
Update ... the golden handshake was approved so I submitted my resignation! June 8th will officially be my last day as a teacher. Weird. I have very mixed feelings about this. But then there is weekday skiing for the rest of my life!

You've probably heard it before: "I don't know how I had time to work (before I retired)"!

The smartest thing I've ever done was retiring when I did! [I skied 54 days this season!]

Welcome to us! :thumbsup:

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm happy for you, think it's exciting, and opens up a new phase, yet in your shoes I'd have (will have) many mixed feelings too.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna