• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

I hate to bring this up......

marzNC

Angel Diva
The Czech Republic imposed social distancing and a requirement for people to wear face masks of some sort in public earlier than most European countries. They started mid-March to close down in order to decrease the number of infections. The outcome seems to be pretty positive. According to a Facebook post reported by Unofficial Networks, Praděd Ski Resort in the Czech Republic is re-opening soon. From what I can tell, all 7 lifts are surface lifts, mostly T-bars. Anyone have a guess as to what "weaser" means?

Also a small hill in Norway re-opening.

April 13, Unofficial Networks
A Handful Of Ski Resorts Are REOPENING During Pandemic
https://unofficialnetworks.com/2020/04/13/ski-resorts-reopen-covid/
"According to the new government regulation of 6.4., it is possible to run skiing and snowboarding in public natural sports places – which we meet – as well. But only on the necessary condition of all the government regulations regarding Covid-19. We have very carefully considered our options and found out that we are able to comply with this regulation for SKAL skiers, surrounding skiers of the region. ESPECIALLY due to the fact that bus transport is STOPPED and only a limited number of cars will reach the hill within the CAPACITY parking lot. We are not inviting anyone here, only and just saying, according to the government’s order that we are able to run lift operation under these conditions. When transport is allowed to one person and in gloves all the time on the weaser and with a cover and min. 2 m spacing on the platform. We believe that those who will make it happy. We wish everyone else good health and a nice Easter. ps: in violation of new transport conditions, the operator of the premises is entitled to exclude skiers violating the regulation from transport to lift, without compensation.”"

StayWarm

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've been thinking about this re-opening question a lot, and I've been organizing my thinking on it into a best case to worst case continuum.
  • Worst case (somewhat likely): We're still in lockdown or semi-lockdown mode. Resorts can't open either because of stay-home orders or because gatherings are still restricted to no more than 50 (or whatever number) people.
  • Middle case (more likely, I think): Resorts open, but limit daily ticket sales and require season pass-holders to commit to specific dates (maybe make a reservation online?) to limit attendance on any one day. Only in-state visitors allowed (this could also be the outcome if certain states are still asking people to self-quarantine for 14 days after arriving). Limited lodge services.
  • Best case (least likely): Resorts open with few restrictions other than face masks, physical distancing recommendations, more hand-washing, etc.
I highly recommend this article from The Atlantic about what reopening might look like. It's going to be at least 18 months until we have a functional vaccine, and I don't know how air travel resumes "like normal" before then. I feel fortunate to be within driving distance of several resorts. We're waiting to buy any passes, but I'd definitely recommend to anyone thinking of buying a pass: Only do it if you can drive to the resort.

From The Atlantic:

As I wrote last month, the only viable endgame is to play whack-a-mole with the coronavirus, suppressing it until a vaccine can be produced. With luck, that will take 18 to 24 months. During that time, new outbreaks will probably arise. Much about that period is unclear, but the dozens of experts whom I have interviewed agree that life as most people knew it cannot fully return. “I think people haven’t understood that this isn’t about the next couple of weeks,” said Michael Osterholm, an infectious-disease epidemiologist at the University of Minnesota. “This is about the next two years.”

MissySki

Angel Diva
I've been thinking about this re-opening question a lot, and I've been organizing my thinking on it into a best case to worst case continuum.
  • Worst case (somewhat likely): We're still in lockdown or semi-lockdown mode. Resorts can't open either because of stay-home orders or because gatherings are still restricted to no more than 50 (or whatever number) people.
  • Middle case (more likely, I think): Resorts open, but limit daily ticket sales and require season pass-holders to commit to specific dates (maybe make a reservation online?) to limit attendance on any one day. Only in-state visitors allowed (this could also be the outcome if certain states are still asking people to self-quarantine for 14 days after arriving). Limited lodge services.
  • Best case (least likely): Resorts open with few restrictions other than face masks, physical distancing recommendations, more hand-washing, etc.
I highly recommend this article from The Atlantic about what reopening might look like. It's going to be at least 18 months until we have a functional vaccine, and I don't know how air travel resumes "like normal" before then. I feel fortunate to be within driving distance of several resorts. We're waiting to buy any passes, but I'd definitely recommend to anyone thinking of buying a pass: Only do it if you can drive to the resort.

From The Atlantic:

As I wrote last month, the only viable endgame is to play whack-a-mole with the coronavirus, suppressing it until a vaccine can be produced. With luck, that will take 18 to 24 months. During that time, new outbreaks will probably arise. Much about that period is unclear, but the dozens of experts whom I have interviewed agree that life as most people knew it cannot fully return. “I think people haven’t understood that this isn’t about the next couple of weeks,” said Michael Osterholm, an infectious-disease epidemiologist at the University of Minnesota. “This is about the next two years.”

I think your scenarios cover things well. I dislike the thought of potentially having season passholder daily limits and/or in state resident only restrictions. This type of thing would be a BIG issue for those of us who live in MA and usually drive to another state every weekend. Funnily enough, where I ski in Maine there are likely more Massachusetts license plates in the parking lots than any other at any given time.. These potentials are also why I’m having a very hard time wanting to commit to a season pass and seasonal condo rental like usual. How would the mountain deal with people from different states being restricted if that were to occur?? I’d have a big problem having to sign up for dates I’d be allowed to ski with an unlimited pass too, I’m not paying a premium for that.. ugh so many difficult decisions and no real direction to help sort this out from mountains yet.. This is also why I’m considering other passes than my usual for next season and haven’t made any decisions or commitments yet.

Christy

Angel Diva
I read that Atlantic article elsewhere--it's good.

Middle case (more likely, I think): Resorts open, but limit daily ticket sales and require season pass-holders to commit to specific dates (maybe make a reservation online?) to limit attendance on any one day. Only in-state visitors allowed (this could also be the outcome if certain states are still asking people to self-quarantine for 14 days after arriving). Limited lodge services.

Limited ticket sales/reservations? Lol sign me up. That's essentially my dream. No comment on the out of state thing as that's not an issue for our day use ski areas.

Of course, if this means ski areas would privilege passholders...I wasn't planning on getting Ikon this year (which is what serves as a Crystal Mt season pass now). Hmm. Wish there was a way to know now if this would happen.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I read that Atlantic article elsewhere--it's good.

Limited ticket sales/reservations? Lol sign me up. That's essentially my dream. No comment on the out of state thing as that's not an issue for our day use ski areas.

Of course, if this means ski areas would privilege passholders...I wasn't planning on getting Ikon this year (which is what serves as a Crystal Mt season pass now). Hmm. Wish there was a way to know now if this would happen.
Mine, too!

StayWarm

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Following up on my earlier post about scenarios for ski resorts, here's the latest from Gov. Polis in Colorado, outlining the conditions under which the state would gradually re-open for business. To paraphrase:

Phase 1: "Urgent" phase, where we are now. Only essential businesses are open and all are under stay-at-home orders. We remain in this phase until this curve of new infections shows solid evidence of declining.

Phase 2:
"As the risk of the new coronavirus lessens, and the state feel comfortable with its ability to handle new patients, introduce mass testing and trace the contacts of those with the virus, Polis said, Colorado can enter Phase 2, “stabilization.”
And Phase 2 could last a while, Polis said: “two months, three months, 10 months — however long it is until there’s a cure or a vaccine.”
Large gatherings, including sporting events and concerts, would still be banned, but some nonessential businesses could reopen."
Note that Phase 2 is only possible with mass testing, which is limited for lots of reasons, especially having to do with the supply chain for the materials necessary for those tests. I don't think we get to Phase 2 until June, personally.

Phase 3: All restrictions lifted, but the article makes clear that this only happens once we have a vaccine or cure, which again is likely over a year away. The article also makes clear that we may move back and forth between Phase 1 and Phase 2 if there's a new surge in infections.

Under Phase 2, I could see some resorts being able to open with the kind of restrictions that I described in my earlier post.

Gonna be a long haul, friends.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Limiting both season passes and day tickets is the business model that Powder Mountain in Utah has been using for several seasons. 1500 season passes as I remember. The number of day passes is 1000-2000. That's for 7000 acres of terrain.

Deer Valley seems to have figured out how to be part of Ikon but still have limited DV-only season pass sales, as well as a day limit.

With more ski resorts and ski areas having move to online ticket sales, limited day tickets wouldn't be that hard to implement. The tricky part is coming up with the number that to balance the idea of social distancing with the need to make money over the course of the season.

Big difference in regions. New England states are small. Lots of out of state travelers to ski resorts who drive less than 4 hours. States in the northern Rockies are huge in comparison, but have relatively small populations. For example, a destination resort like Big Sky would have trouble making any money if only Monana residents were allowed to ride the lifts.

Apparently one of the reasons that the governor of Colorado decided to shut down the ski industry when he did in mid-March instead of waiting for another few days was that many of the travelers for spring break typically fly from NY, FL, or CA. All were hot spots for COVID-19 by early March.

StayWarm

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Limiting both season passes and day tickets is the business model that Powder Mountain in Utah has been using for several seasons. 1500 season passes as I remember. The number of day passes is 1000-2000. That's for 7000 acres of terrain.

I've definitely thought about Powder Mountain in this context. The problem is that in order to guarantee a lower population density on the mountain, a resort would need to limit the total number of visitors on a given day, regardless of how many season passes they've sold. If all the season-pass holders showed up at once, you'd be in trouble. This is why I imagine a system where season pass-holders would have to reserve a specific day (probably not far in advance, but still).

marzNC

Angel Diva
Note that Phase 2 is only possible with mass testing, which is limited for lots of reasons, especially having to do with the supply chain for the materials necessary for those tests. I don't think we get to Phase 2 until June, personally.
I've been following the progress of alternative types of testing beyond the nose swabs. While I agree that getting to Phase 2 is weeks away, the number of tests is increasing rapidly in a few states.

Have seen other state plans for lifting restrictions that have 4-6 phases.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I've definitely thought about Powder Mountain in this context. The problem is that in order to guarantee a lower population density on the mountain, a resort would need to limit the total number of visitors on a given day, regardless of how many season passes they've sold. If all the season-pass holders showed up at once, you'd be in trouble. This is why I imagine a system where season pass-holders would have to reserve a specific day (probably not far in advance, but still).
My sense is that what PowMow does is that on the rare powder day when they know selling out is likely, they account for a larger percentage of season passholders when they release a very limited number of day tickets.

Could be a much harder job to figure out how to limit numbers at small hills in the mid-Atlantic or southeast where the typical weekend lift line wait is 15-20 min for a run that takes at most 5 min. They have a larger percentage of guests who buy day tickets because they don't really ski that many days over the course of a season. Small mountains in New England may actually have an easier time limiting day tickets than the resorts that depend on "weekend warriors" who stay overnight on a regular basis.

StayWarm

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am trying hard to be optimistic and maybe disappointed later as I've already bought my Ikon Pass AND I'm having skiing dreams. No kidding.

I hear you on staying optimistic! We'll almost definitely buy passes for Loveland whenever they release them; they haven't posted pricing yet, and are still working on what "accommodations" they'll make for this year's season pass folks whose seasons were cut short. They say pricing will be out later this month or early May. We're going to wait on buying our Ikons until the last minute of the early bird window.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna