• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

"I can't go today" whine thread...

geargrrl

Angel Diva
Real one from today: I've taken the whole week off, skied 7/10 last days (s0me nordic) and I'm taking tomorrow and Thursday to ski. So, I stayed home today and WORKED!! They got 10" today. I'm pretty sure there will be some left for us tomorrow.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Real one from today: I've taken the whole week off, skied 7/10 last days (s0me nordic) and I'm taking tomorrow and Thursday to ski. So, I stayed home today and WORKED!! They got 10" today. I'm pretty sure there will be some left for us tomorrow.

I .. you ... *head explodes*

geargrrl

Angel Diva
Monique, I was so burned out/sore/tired/behind today that it was totally OK to work today. We just couldn't get motivated for another (33 miles, I know, quit whining) drive up the mountain. Got a shitton of work done too... so I won't feel too bad about taking tomorrow and Thursday.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Monique, I was so burned out/sore/tired/behind today that it was totally OK to work today. We just couldn't get motivated for another (33 miles, I know, quit whining) drive up the mountain. Got a shitton of work done too... so I won't feel too bad about taking tomorrow and Thursday.

*nod* I understand ... sort of ...

artistinsuburbia

Angel Diva
I can't go today because it's the midatlantic and snow levels are no where close to optimal and the mountain is only 400 ft. vertical, so there's maybe five true runs open, none of them a real black diamond, and I'm too poor with two of my three kids in or off to college this year, making traveling elsewhere a pipe dream for the moment.

Liquid Yellow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I can't go today, or tomorrow etc because I don't live near any mountains. I suppose arguably I could go to a snowdome but it's not the same.

However in less than two weeks I'll be in St Anton, where they are about to get a load of snow (at last).

newboots

Angel Diva
I can't go today because I have a minor knee sprain and the doctor said 10 days. Ten days from Saturday is next Saturday, right?

:ski:

Tvan

Angel Diva
Recovering from laproscopic hysterectomy surgery and going batshit crazy. I'm so ready to ski.

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt. Fingers crossed that you get the "ok" shortly!

newboots

Angel Diva

Thanks, Skibetty! It feels startlingly better today! It just feels like a pulled hamstring. I have to figure out how to manage that; fall or no fall, my hamstrings feel tight after every visit to the mountain. The basic stretch doesn't seem to help much, perhaps because they're still sore through the week. . .

just jane

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Recovering from laproscopic hysterectomy surgery and going batshit crazy. I'm so ready to ski.

@arbusch I had a hysterectomy in October, carefully scheduled to minimally interfere with summer fun and to be mostly recovered by ski season. The activity restrictions were the worst part - I was going nuts and watching all my muscles turn to jello! I took it pretty easy my first few days on the slopes and everything seems fine. I hope you're back out soon!

skibetty

Certified Ski Diva

Been there done that! Take it slow and know your limitations! I think I was 6 weeks post surgery before I was allowed back on the sticks! Did a fair amount of walking but you really must listen to your body! I had a partial and could really tell when I had over done it. Hang in there, before you know it you will be feeling good and back to a normal routine

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
fall or no fall, my hamstrings feel tight after every visit to the mountain. The basic stretch doesn't seem to help much, perhaps because they're still sore through the week. . .

As part of my knee rehab, I was taught an "active" hamstring stretch. Before my injury, I could not typically touch my toes, even in hot yoga. Then the injury. Hamstring stretches twice a day. Now, in the same yoga class, I can reach past my foot to wrap my fingers around my foot for the single-leg stretch.

So, here for your consideration, probably *after* the pulled hamstring feels better:
  • Lie on your back (on a mat or whatever if you need the padding)
  • Put one leg up in the air. Straighten it as much as you possibly can, actively engaging the quads
  • Put your arms around the upper part of the leg (so wrapping around the hamstring) and pull toward you. Obviously do this only as much as feels about right - don't pull a hamstring! - if this is too hard, you could get a yoga strap, or rope or whatever, to help you pull
  • Stay in the stretch for a minute. Continue to engage the quads to keep the leg straight the whole time.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
As part of my knee rehab, I was taught an "active" hamstring stretch. Before my injury, I could not typically touch my toes, even in hot yoga. Then the injury. Hamstring stretches twice a day. Now, in the same yoga class, I can reach past my foot to wrap my fingers around my foot for the single-leg stretch.

So, here for your consideration, probably *after* the pulled hamstring feels better:
  • Lie on your back (on a mat or whatever if you need the padding)
  • Put one leg up in the air. Straighten it as much as you possibly can, actively engaging the quads
  • Put your arms around the upper part of the leg (so wrapping around the hamstring) and pull toward you. Obviously do this only as much as feels about right - don't pull a hamstring! - if this is too hard, you could get a yoga strap, or rope or whatever, to help you pull
  • Stay in the stretch for a minute. Continue to engage the quads to keep the leg straight the whole time.
Thanks for the reminder of the hamstring stretch.. I need to add this to my repertoire ......... it's simple and takes no time at all. I've always used a yoga strap, belt, whatever....

newboots

Angel Diva
@bounceswoosh Thanks! I am going to have to write down all my ski exercises; I can't keep them straight. But this one is definitely going to be included!

arbusch

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks @just jane and @skibetty for the kind words. I wanted to schedule the surgery earlier but I was still running my outdoor ed program and out with kids until November 11th and then my surgeon was on vacation. Usually this time I am either skiing every day or on a Surf vacation. So struggling with a stay vacation. Let's just say my house and outdoor gear has never been this organized. A couple of weeks ago my husband pinched a nerve in his back so we are both on limited activity. He is bummed out too. He is my fun ski partner especially for backcountry days. Luckily our little local hill is only on the weekends so forcing me not to try for a few more days.

just jane

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@arbusch If it helps to slow you down, I can share the vivid description my doc gave me of what could happen if I pushed it too hard too soon - something about internal stitches taking longer to heal, and if they tore, intestines falling into your vaginal canal and possibly tearing as well, and - yeah. Scared me right into taking it easy.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna