• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

I Broke my Fibula and Tibia Mar. 9 at Squaw :(

Bing

Angel Diva
I broke my tib/fib 5 years ago running, though not bad enough to have surgery.

I came back from the injury stronger, better than I was before.

I kept up my abdominal strength routine the entire recovery time as well as pedalled on my bike with no resistance on a trainer - got a downhiller pedal from a local shop that fit my cast.

I followed my pt to a t and the break that took place in November was well enough to race triathlons (albeit short ones) in July.

Skimom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So sorry to hear this! Similar injury happened to my friend's husband last week. Hang in there...keep your spirits up (I'm a big believer in mind/body) and do everything the physical therapists tell you to do! Keep posting for support from the wonderful women on this site!

alaski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
They should NOT have let you drive home. :eek: That was irresponsible to let you drive with such an injury - dangerous to you and others. I'm so shocked about that, I'm a little speechless actually. What were they (and you) thinking?

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
They should NOT have let you drive home. :eek: That was irresponsible to let you drive with such an injury - dangerous to you and others. I'm so shocked about that, I'm a little speechless actually. What were they (and you) thinking?
They were probably thinking that they were in compliance with the law. By law, you are entitled to refuse any/all medical treatment, ambulance transport. By law, you are entitled to walk out of treatment, a hospital, etc. Those over the age of 18 are entitled to make these decisions. It's taught by the American Red Cross in all certification classes. A medical facility might advise a patient otherwise, but ultimately, it's the individual's decision.

alaski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Interesting - for ski patrol here, we are taught that certain conditions require automatic medical transport. One that comes to mind is loss of feeling in any limb - they get an ambulance ride unless they have someone else to drive them to the hospital. A person with such symptoms would not be permitted to drive away from the aid shack on their own.

Edited to add: a medical professional can also force treatment or transport if the patient is not fit to make the decision on their own, and shock certainly would fit into that category.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Interesting - for ski patrol here, we are taught that certain conditions require automatic medical transport. One that comes to mind is loss of feeling in any limb - they get an ambulance ride unless they have someone else to drive them to the hospital. A person with such symptoms would not be permitted to drive away from the aid shack on their own.

Edited to add: a medical professional can also force treatment or transport if the patient is not fit to make the decision on their own, and shock certainly would fit into that category.

Crossing into the medical-legal boundaries here.
Bioethics.
I'm not going there, not qualified.
All I know is what is taught in American Red Cross CPR and First Aid Training.

lisaski

Certified Ski Diva
Hi,

I don't feel it was irresponsible for the people who worked in the clinic to let me drive home. Here's why I feel that way:

I was handling the pain quite well. As long as I kept my leg still, I was comfortable. They did apply a splint that helped even more to keep my leg still.

The quickest way for me to get the medical help that I needed was to get home as soon as I could. I have Kaiser. There are no Kaiser hospitals in Tahoe.

My partner is the only person who I could ask to drive four hours to come and get me. Her car is not in good enough condition for that long a drive.

I was not under the influence of narcotics. They gave me a non-narcotic anti-inflammatory injection that really did help take the edge off of the pain.

I may have used poor judgement in charging down the steeps without taking a few "test-the-snow turns" earlier in the day. However, I am mature enough to know when to stop driving and whether I can handle the drive. The ride between Tahoe and my home is on an interstate that is well travelled with many resources should I need to stop driving.

Anyway, I know that the situation sounds bad enough to tell someone not to drive. At the same time, you had to be there to see how well I was handling the pain and how I was (thankfully!) able to keep a cool head through it all.

Lisa

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
dude!! Woah....i think the award for super toughest diva goes to you!!

I can't believe you drove home on your own. Did Patrol give you Fentanyl or anything? Good luck, best wishes on a speedy & full recovery.

What she said!!!
Tib Fib break is nasty on its own, without the shattering. Jeez, you're Tough!!!

alaski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So you couldn't get your insurance to pay unless you were at a Kaiser hospital? Grr....our insurance system really ticks me off. And when you said you called your partner right after you fell, I assumed you meant ski partner (who I thought was kind of a jerk for not driving you home after the accident - I misunderstood the situation)!

Consuela

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi Lisa,

How's the leg coming along?

Cheers,
Connie

drjoyous

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Congrats on looking forward to next season. Everyone has given you such good advice, I have nothing new to add...except to rest, relax, and smile.

Keep up the PT and the great attitude! You'll be back up there in no time :D

lisaski

Certified Ski Diva
Hi Lisa,

How's the leg coming along?

Cheers,
Connie
Hi All,

Here's an update. Time marched on for what seemed like an eternity. Yesterday was 7 weeks since my injury. I saw the doctor last Thursday. He told me that I can begin putting weight on my leg and still use the crutches to keep the weight to a tolerable amount. He also said that I can do any physical activities as I can tolerate them, including skiing next season. Yeah! :smile: All in all things are going quite well. The weirdest thing is that the area of my leg where the break ocurred feels fine. It is my foot that is killing me when I put my weight on it. At first it felt like I was being stabbed with a knife in my foot. I think that since my foot muscles have contracted and degenerated, the weight stretches them and makes my foot feel very uncomfortable. I'm working on stretching my foot when I apply weight and the discomfort is slowly subsiding. I have also started cycling on a stationary bike. That has helped immensely to loosen up my leg muscles. On Wednesday, I start physical therapy. I'm hoping they give me more excercises for my crampy foot and for getting my full range of motion back in my ankle.

I was very happy when the doctor said that I can do any activity that I can tolerate. I can't wait to ride my mountain bike again in the sunshine. It will be soon.

Lisa

Toucan

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
All in all things are going quite well.

I can't wait to ride my mountain bike again in the sunshine. It will be soon.

Lisa

Bet the sun shines just a little brighter for you that day! Your story, morale, and outlook are utterly inspiring! God bless ya!

Consuela

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yea! I'm glad to hear the good news!

I'm going to be riding in your neck of the woods tomorrow night. Taking a newbie for a ride at Morgan Territory. Should be a pretty easy ride. Just want to get her out on the bike in the dirt. :becky:

lisaski

Certified Ski Diva
Yea! I'm glad to hear the good news!

I'm going to be riding in your neck of the woods tomorrow night. Taking a newbie for a ride at Morgan Territory. Should be a pretty easy ride. Just want to get her out on the bike in the dirt. :becky:
Connie,

I have never ridden my mountain bike at Morgan Territory. I bet there are some good trails there. I have ridden my road bike up to the park there from my home several times. It's a tough climb. I do a lot of riding on Pleasanton ridge, mostly cuz it's close to my home. Hope you had a fun time at Morgan Territory.

Lisa

Consuela

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have ridden my road bike up to the park there from my home several times. It's a tough climb.

Hi Lisa,

Holy smokes! It was a tough DRIVE up there. I can't imagine riding it...

Very beautiful with the oaks and huge rocks that seem to come out of no where. Mostly fireroads, so a good place to take someone who is ready to get off the pavement, but not ready for single tracks... some short steeps. Well, there were some ad hoc single tracks here and there, but the signs said they were illegal for bikers.

Haven't been to P Ridge, but it seems pretty popular. Planning to ride at Wilder Ranch in Santa Cruz on Saturday. Sweeeet!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna