• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

HUGE Nor'Easter headed for the Northeast!

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I mean, where else would it go???? :D

Seriously, we're expecting one to two feet of snow in the mountains. The New England News Channel calls it "fierce and potentially historic" and says it "will rank as one of the most powerful nor'easters in several years."

Snowhot, why aren't you here now??? :confused:

So who in the northeast is going to take advantage of all this stuff????

And what does this mean for the Boston Marathon on Monday????

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Snowhot, why aren't you here now??? :confused:
My timing sucks!
Really, it does on so many levels!:(

Do you have room for me, if I make the trip ;)

Another Diva Day at Okemo

I'm thinking about heading up to Okemo for the last day of the season (Sunday 4/23) if the warm weather for the second half of next week doesn't make things too messy, if any other Divas are skiing that day. Any takers?

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
And what does this mean for the Boston Marathon on Monday????

I have wondered about this....I think I read somewhere a few days ago that the officials would make the course as passible as possible....but still! :eek: Kind of glad that my person who was trying to qualify didn't qualify.

Calgal

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I know someone that has qualified for the Boston Marathon.....gosh I hope things aren't too bad. She is from Canada though and has been running during our winter so maybe that will be a good thing in how to handle the big Nor'Easter! Sure hope you all get an opportunity to enjoy the "benefits" of the storm on your skis !!

SkiMonster

Certified Ski Diva
We plan on heading for Belleayre in the morning (too far to get to VT just for Sunday). I'm so excited :D although my parents, down on the coast, may get a lot of flooding - I hope not. They moved the cars offshore just in case, and it would hardly be the first time though. We used to watch people row up the streets in dinghies :p What a lucky spring this has been snow-wise!

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
For anyone who's interested: it's snowing like crazy here in Vermont (between Killington and Ludlow) -- heavy, wet snow, but snow nonetheless.

abc

Banned
I'm a frequent spring skier. I like the sun and the soft snow, even if it can get a bit on the slushy side at times.

I decided NOT to go up this weekend because the new snow is going to be wet and real heavy. Not to mention having to drive THROUGH the storm end of Sunday.

Next week should be a good one once the snow compacted down and got groomed. Soft bumps my cut of tea!

BUT...I've got committments I'll have a hard time getting out of next weekend.:( What was I thinking back then (in March)!

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Well, they said the rain/snow line would move north, and it has. Nothing but wind-driven rain now. So I guess I won't be skiing today, after all. :(

I think my ski season is officially over. DOUBLE :( !

By the way, the Boston Marathon is still on.

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This is from Boston.com, and makes no sense to me:

https://www.boston.com/sports/marathon/stride_by_stride/

"The biggest change in the race this year is the new starting time. A lot of things about the Boston Marathon changed over its first 110 years: the course, the distance, and the gender of eligible racers to name three. The one constant was the official starting time of high noon, though in truth that was dented a little several years ago when the field of elite women was given a separate, half-hour earlier start. This year the entire schedule is being move up two hours, meaning the elite women will start at 9:35 a.m. and the main field at 10. Race officials say they made the change to bring Boston in line with other major marathons, most of which start in the morning so temperatures will be cooler. Cooler temperatures usually mean faster times. The earlier start also allows communities along the marathon route to reopen their roads earlier."

The distance has changed? Was it originally not the Boston Marathon, and perhaps, the Boston 10K? Did they remeasure the distance from Athens (or wherever that messenger guy started) to Marathon and discover it was 10 feet longer than previously measured, sort of like how Mt. Everest keeps getting taller and taller?

I need my morning coffee.....:confused:

EDIT: (from the Boston Marathon website)

The Marathon Distance
The 1896 Olympic marathon distance of 24.8 miles was based on the distance run, according to famous Greek legend, in which the Greek foot-soldier Pheidippides was sent from the plains of Marathon to Athens with the news of the astounding victory over a superior Persian army. Exhausted as he approached the leaders of the City of Athens, he staggered and gasped, "Rejoice! We Conquer!" and then collapsed.

The marathon distance was later changed as a result of the 1908 Olympic Games in London. That year, King Edward VII and Queen Alexandria wanted the marathon race to begin at Windsor Castle outside the city so that the Royal family could view the start. The distance between the castle and the Olympic Stadium in London proved to be 26 miles. Organizers added extra yards to the finish around a track, 385 to be exact, so the runners would finish in front of the king and queen's royal box. Every Olympic marathon run since the 1908 Games has been a distance of 26 miles, 385 yards.

lv2ski

Certified Ski Diva
I think my season may be over also. We had fun up at Jay Peak this week-end. If Friday looks ok I may venture to Sunapee for a few hours...they have again extended the season to next week-end (weather permitting).....

skigirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This is so sad to say but we have 20 inches of snow so far and another foot to come!!! There are no ski areas open so there will be no fun with this storm!! All this snow is just going to be one big huge mess when it melts!!

skigirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The Melt down has begun!!

I said in my earlier post that this was going to melt down into one big huge mess and it is!!! Today is Wed. and Yesterday it was so sloppy and mucky my horses refused to go outside!!! My mare just looked out her stall door and backed back into her stall, my husband's gelding walked out of the barn turned around and ran back into his stall, and my other gelding never even tried to go out he just stood in his stall!! LOL!!! Today, Wed, they still did not want to go out but with the sun shinning I made them all go out!! When I took hay out to everyone I SUNK not only in the snow that is left but deep into the MUD, I almost walked out of my boots more than once when I got STUCK!! I love a good snow storm but this is just one BIG HUGE MESS because the ground was so soft when it hit and now there is MUD, MUD, MUD everywhere MUD and SNOW!! The ground is so soft that my Mother buried her 4 wheel drive truck in the MUD and snow on Monday, we had to go to her house and pull her out of her driveway. She left huge deep ruts in the snow and MUD, she also sprayed MUD everywhere trying to get herself out!! LOL!! It was very funny!! I believe that this is going to be the first time I don't ride in the month of April!!! Not only has it put my riding behind but it puts my trail work way behind too. This storm has also put all the Farmers behind on field work!!! So much work to do and no chance to get started on it!! Where was all this SNOW in December?!?!?! LOL!!

skigirl

Lilgeorg

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well, this storm is finally over at my house. We got our electrical power back after 4 days. Thank goodness, we could still ski or it would have been cabin fever to the max.

Our home has an electric well pump...so no water
An eletric oil heating system ...so no heat
An electric range...so no cooking
And of course no refrigeration,Tv, lights,etc,etc.

So we skied yesterday and today at Okemo,VT. And conditions were great. Now that we have electricity, I guess its clean out the frig and go grocery shopping. But, skiing in late April is surely a new experience for me.

nelsapbm

Certified Ski Diva
My parents live just south of Rutland and finally had their power restored on Friday. They used a generator to run a small refridgerator, so they were able to keep perishables cold. Used the grill and went out to eat. No water. Pretty crazy!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga