• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

How wide should a powder ski be for a short, lightweight skier?

TiffAlt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I see a lot of talk about powder skis on other ski forums, but it's mostly by males tailored to other males. Most aren't 5'2 and 110 lbs. I'm thinking that means a powder ski for someone of my stature would have a much smaller waist. A bit more about me, I ski in the PNW, heavy, wet cascade concrete. Currently on the Volkl Yumi 154, waist 84, but I definitely do not love it for powder. Part of that is my technique for sure, but I've been told countless times by even employees at the mountains I am skiing that I should rent a wider pair to really enjoy it.

I don't want to go too wide and shock myself (so I'm thinking upper end 100), but I also fear I won't go wide enough (is 90 wide enough?) and miss out on the real fun everyone is talking about. My current issues are turning too sharply, one ski sinks and I end up on my side. Probably not going fast enough and leaning too much. Also working on a narrower stance.

The fall doesn't hurt, but it's quite a sweaty trial to pull out that sunken ski and I've done it several times. Last time I overheated so badly, I felt sick, akin to when I get badly motion sick. Didn't help that it then started snowing, visibility became bad and I called it a day after that cause it was "one last run" waiting to happen.

Last edited:

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think the tip and tail rocker matters more than the width when skiing freshies/powder. The reality is that most resort runs are tracked out pretty quickly unless it's storming, so you also need something that can handle crud. Do try a wider ski. For me, over ~110 makes my stance really weird, especially on the runouts. I really enjoyed the Volkl 100Eight W in 157(?) when it existed, and I got the Volkl Blaze 94W in 158 about a year ago and have been using it on days where there's fresh and deeper snow. I'm 5'0", 102.

leia1979

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Demo the 2024 Sheeva 9 if you can. At 96mm, it's wider but not super wide. I did not have any trouble turning them when demoing--my main issue was the only demo pair they had was too short for me, and I didn't feel stable at higher speeds. Sheeva 10 is probably worth looking at, too.

Salomon QST 92 was all right, but 92 might not be enough different than your Yumis. There is a 98 version--haven't tried it.

I wanted to demo the Elan Ripstick 94w, but the demo center didn't have it. I wanted wider but not crazy wide for myself.

I also found this older thread if you haven't read it: https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/index.php?threads/powder-skis-for-petite-women.25861/

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think your mileage will vary with some trial and error to find where you comfortable max width is. For me, it's around 90 at the moment. I've yet to meet a 90+ ski I've really liked. Now that may change if I ever become less terrible at powder skiing, but with where I'm at right now, everything else feels like strapping two surfboards to my feet. You've got an inch and 15 lbs on me, though.

But I have a lot of the same issues you do in that I try to rush my turns in powder b/c I get nervous. It just doesn't work. I usually just ski my all-mountain east coast skis out west and that's usually somewhere in the 84-88 range. It may not be ideal, but with my sus technique, I'm no worse for the wear. lol I am sort of eager to take my new Factions out west and try them out just b/c they float so well and are so damp through choppy crud on the east coast, I want to see how they handle out west.

TiffAlt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think your mileage will vary with some trial and error to find where you comfortable max width is. For me, it's around 90 at the moment. I've yet to meet a 90+ ski I've really liked. Now that may change if I ever become less terrible at powder skiing, but with where I'm at right now, everything else feels like strapping two surfboards to my feet. You've got an inch and 15 lbs on me, though.

But I have a lot of the same issues you do in that I try to rush my turns in powder b/c I get nervous. It just doesn't work. I usually just ski my all-mountain east coast skis out west and that's usually somewhere in the 84-88 range. It may not be ideal, but with my sus technique, I'm no worse for the wear. lol I am sort of eager to take my new Factions out west and try them out just b/c they float so well and are so damp through choppy crud on the east coast, I want to see how they handle out west.
Ooo the Factions - also on my "want to try but can never find a demo" list! How do you like them so far?

I keep trying my Yumis in the powder and saw a vid of Deb Armstrong describing what I am calling "bouncy skiing" and that helped, but I still suck at turning, lol. I almost think it's a mental thing - I get anxious even thinking about it.

TiffAlt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I wanted to demo the Elan Ripstick 94w, but the demo center didn't have it. I wanted wider but not crazy wide for myself.
If you come to Crystal, they have the 2024 Elan Ripstick 94 W in 154cm and 162cm if either of those lengths work for you. They are definitely on my powder day fantasy list! Also had the Atomic Maven and K2 Mindbender on the list, but now I'm worried that last one is not wide enough, though @tinymoose does make an apt point about feeling like you're strapping surfboards to your feet :bounce:

Last edited:

TiffAlt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think the tip and tail rocker matters more than the width when skiing freshies/powder. The reality is that most resort runs are tracked out pretty quickly unless it's storming, so you also need something that can handle crud. Do try a wider ski. For me, over ~110 makes my stance really weird, especially on the runouts. I really enjoyed the Volkl 100Eight W in 157(?) when it existed, and I got the Volkl Blaze 94W in 158 about a year ago and have been using it on days where there's fresh and deeper snow. I'm 5'0", 102.
Oh, my home mountain does have the Volkl Blaze 94 in 158 as a demo. You like that length then? That's reassuring. I'll add it to my list!

leia1979

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Also had the Atomic Maven and K2 Mindbender on the list, but now I'm worried that last one is not wide enough.
Which Mindbender were you thinking? There's a 90C and a 96C in the women's line that are probably worth trying. Not sure if anyone has them available to demo, though.

TiffAlt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Which Mindbender were you thinking? There's a 90C and a 96C in the women's line that are probably worth trying. Not sure if anyone has them available to demo, though.
Oh, should have specified - Crystal has the 90 I could try. The next up demo size in the Mindbender is 108!:bolt:

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ooo the Factions - also on my "want to try but can never find a demo" list! How do you like them so far?

I keep trying my Yumis in the powder and saw a vid of Deb Armstrong describing what I am calling "bouncy skiing" and that helped, but I still suck at turning, lol. I almost think it's a mental thing - I get anxious even thinking about it.
I love my Factions. Where are you at @TiffAlt ? I tried my Agents at Killington last year

marzNC

Angel Diva
I see a lot of talk about powder skis on other ski forums, but it's mostly by males tailored to other males. Most aren't 5'2 and 110 lbs. I'm thinking that means a powder ski for someone of my stature would have a much smaller waist. A bit more about me, I ski in the PNW, heavy, wet cascade concrete. Currently on the Volkl Yumi 154, waist 84, but I definitely do not love it for powder. Part of that is my technique for sure, but I've been told countless times by even employees at the mountains I am skiing that I should rent a wider pair to really enjoy it.

I don't want to go too wide and shock myself (so I'm thinking upper end 100), but I also fear I won't go wide enough (is 90 wide enough?) and miss out on the real fun everyone is talking about. My current issues are turning too sharply, one ski sinks and I end up on my side. Probably not going fast enough and leaning too much. Also working on a narrower stance.
My stats are 5'0", 110 lbs. Only been skiing enough powder days to get decent in the last decade (after age 55). My Alta instructor doesn't want students on skis wider than 100. That applied not only to me, but also to my friend who is a man just over 6 feet.

My all-mountain skis that I use in the Rockies are 85 underfoot. I have Yumis for skiing in the east. What I've discovered is that as my technique improved with the help of lessons, I can ski narrower skis in 8-10 inches of fluffy powder pretty well. Over than I either use my DPS Zeldas, 106 underfoot, or rent skis that are around 100 wide.

To feel a difference from the Yumis, I'd say go with skis that are 95-100 wide. Also worth seeing what different lengths feel like. My all-mountain skis are 159cm. As are my Zeldas. But I've demo'd powder skis up to 166 in length, usually over 100 wide.

mustski

Angel Diva
I wouldn’t automatically eliminate Skis over 100. I know that I am an outlier in this, but Cascade Concrete and Sierra Cement are a tough breed of “powder,” and not to be compared to Utah or Colorado powder. Without a lot of strength, it can be really difficult to turn in the heavy snow and “narrow wide” skis sink down under the snow. That kind of turn (with a ski weighted down by snow) requires much more strength. I’m assuming we are talking more than boot deep snow here. A wide ski with a good amount of rocker is your friend in those conditions. I’m 5’2” and 135 lbs and I love my Volkl Ones in a 169 with a 116 waist. It takes me a minute to adjust, but they make skiing heavy, wet powder fun. They are a dedicated powder ski though. I’m not saying go THAT wide. I am suggesting you look for a ski right around 100 with a good amount of rocker both tip and tail.

Last edited:

TiffAlt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I wouldn’t automatically eliminate Skis over 100. I know that I am an outlier in this, but Cascade Concrete and Sierra Cement are a tough breed of “powder,” and not to be compared to Utah or Colorado powder. Without a lot of strength, it can be really difficult to turn in the heavy snow and “narrow wide” skis sink down under the snow. That kind of turn (with a ski weighted down by snow) requires much more strength. I’m assuming we are talking more than boot deep snow here. A wide ski with a good amount of rocker is your friend in those conditions. I’m 5’2” and 135 lbs and I love my Volkl Ones in a 169 with a 116 waist. It takes me a minute to adjust, but they make skiing heavy, wet powder fun. They are a dedicated powder ski though. I’m not saying go THAT wide. I am suggesting you look for a ski right around 100 with a good amount of rocker both tip and tail.
You do bring up a good point. Powder over here is HEAVY and I'm pretty sure contributes to the mild fear I have of falling in it and having to unearth my ski. Makes me very hesitant, which just works against me :cry:

Honestly, I'm pretty familiar with some of the demo staff at Crystal, so asked one girl what demo she'd give me if she were choosing for me next powder day. She said the Sheeva 10 was a big crowd pleaser. I kinda balked cause it's 102 waist, but maybe I should reconsider.

TiffAlt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We have similar "Powder" over here, mildly challenging :laughter: My Sheeva 9's were great in it just sayin .. I'm 5'5" ish and 125lb
I've had two recs now for the Sheeva 9, you and @leia1979. I really really want to try the Sheeva 9, but Crystal doesn't carry them, only the Sheeva 10.

Reactions: AJM

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Try the Blaze 94? I really enjoyed them in fresh snow/NZ powder....

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@marzNC I am super curious about your instructor's rationale for limiting width to sub 100?

It was not until my first pair over 100 that I was able to ski side by side with my six foot three snow boarding sweetie on a big powder day. The float gave me the confidence to go fast as I knew I was fully staying above the powder and the flotation feeling was superb.

No good once it is chopped liver and bumped out, but 105 to 115 underfoot for the first hour or two is the best. Sadly I ended up working and did not ski or connect with your GT friend beyond a messages.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga