• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

How wide of a powder ski should I demo?

MissySki

Angel Diva
I'm looking to put together a list of skis I should demo/consider in the ~102-106 range, probably the lower side most realistically. I'm 5'4" and 125lbs for reference. This is not a ski I will get a lot of use out of skiing in New England, and as such I have not worked hard at finding one even though it has been in the back of my mind at times as something I'd like to have around when needed. This weekend was the needed time which is why I'm bringing it up now. Well, I mean I'm not sure needed is exactly the right word.. my old Sheeva 9s at 92 underfoot held their own just fine through two big powder days in a row, totaling 36 inches, in everything I threw at them bell to bell Saturday and most of the day Sunday. Trees, bumps, steeps, less steep, untracked, super deep tracked, everything in between.. I had a ball and I consider the fact that I could ski in it for almost 8 hours straight Saturday and another 6 hours yesterday a testament to my 92s being plenty adequate and actually a load of fun.

Yesterday there was one time my skis didn't feel like enough, it was in this one tree area where the snow somehow was unexpectedly a bit wind loaded and heavier where untracked.. I do ski slower in the trees and it stopped me several times such that I just sunk down into the snow way over my knees. I had to shuffle out to tracked snow and that was skiing great at least. But usually I'm aiming for the untracked not the tracked! Where there was lighter untracked snow in other glades I was just fine.. so it was really the heavier deep snow that gave me problems on the one run.. which was not a surprise at all for me, but annoying.

Anyway, thoughts on an East coast powder ski to stash away for our very infrequent days like this that might give me some more float? I am not used to skiing anything wider than high 90s for the most part, but I'd like to push a little higher to spread out my widths as long as I won't be sacrificing too much in other ways like maneuverability. Oh and in typical New England fashion, it doesn't need to be an ice skate by any means but it needs to be able to hold an edge as needed off piste in the variable conditions we can have here.

Trailside Trixie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I adore my Volkl Blaze 106s, floated right over anything yesterday and we got around 30". Some untracked and lots of very large bumps after skier traffic but either way I was either on top or blowing right through the soft snow. They are light, super maneuverable and stupid fun.

K.LoSki

Certified Ski Diva
I rode a 105 yesterday in Tahoe after ~30inches over the course of 2 days of light powder. Seemed good to me but to be honest it was the widest ski i've ever skied. Additionally the instructor i was with said she rides her RTM's which i think are 84 under foot until the powder is over knee deep, then she rides a 112.

DebbieSue

Angel Diva
I liked Sheeva 10 163 alot in 8-10” new snow at Taos. It felt very natural. Had some float, was maneuverable in moguls, but could still hold an edge. I liked it a lot more than Fischer Ranger 102 Celeste /163 which had tip chatter (maybe I need longer) and was not very natural feeling for me in moguls. Skewered a couple and came to dead stop and fell over here and there. Rangers prob required other than my New England technique!

MrsPlow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Possibly should caveat this on the idea of it being a powder day only ski, rather than a versatile east coast option. I ski out west so 116 generally works well at least 50% of the season. I'll ski my JJs when there's 5cm of fresh but our base is probably a little more forgiving than yours. However they're a great ski for low angle powder so I find the fun when it's 5cm dust on crust so long as I'm not on anything too steep.

Beckster

Certified Ski Diva
This is such a difficult question because it’s not just waist size factoring into a great powder ski. Rocker, camber, shape, mount point and of course length.
A well rockered, 95 under foot can ski just as well as a 110w less rockered ski.

beane

Certified Ski Diva
I adore my Volkl Blaze 106s, floated right over anything yesterday and we got around 30". Some untracked and lots of very large bumps after skier traffic but either way I was either on top or blowing right through the soft snow. They are light, super maneuverable and stupid fun.
Can you say more about how they did with the larger afternoon bumps? Did you try to go around or blast through?

Trailside Trixie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Can you say more about how they did with the larger afternoon bumps? Did you try to go around or blast through?

I am more of finesse skier and really don't blast through anything. That aside I'm mostly a pivot off the top bump skier but did go through some untracked snow and through a bump now and again and they went right through anything.

Last edited:

MissySki

Angel Diva
This is such a difficult question because it’s not just waist size factoring into a great powder ski. Rocker, camber, shape, mount point and of course length.
A well rockered, 95 under foot can ski just as well as a 110w less rockered ski.
Good point, I’m definitely open to suggestions of specific skis or characteristics that might be good to demo, regardless of their actual width.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Possibly should caveat this on the idea of it being a powder day only ski, rather than a versatile east coast option. I ski out west so 116 generally works well at least 50% of the season. I'll ski my JJs when there's 5cm of fresh but our base is probably a little more forgiving than yours. However they're a great ski for low angle powder so I find the fun when it's 5cm dust on crust so long as I'm not on anything too steep.
This would definitely be a powder day only ski for me so all suggestions and their caveats are welcome and appreciated! :smile:

Verve

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Some thoughts from our east coast specific demo fleet in that waist width:

Salomon QST 106 - I can still get this ski to edge on groomed trails so that’s heartening. Big pontoony paddle front does great for me in chopped up powder conditions at the end of the day.

Black Crows Atris Birdie - Fun ski - it’s all laminates so very poppy and a better match for more advanced skier IMO. Haven’t gotten to ski it is very deep conditions but surprisingly groomer friendly.

Volkl Blaze 106/104 - already mentioned here! Light, turny. The new 104 swaps in a band of ash for a bit more stiffness and wraps the metal of the mounting plate down the ski to address some delamination issues that plagued the earlier models. FWIW I haven’t heard of female skiers encountering these issues so it might come up more with heavier skiers going harder on the longer sizes specifically. I wouldn’t turn down a deal on this years Blaze. I’ve only skied the 104 on the hardest of hard pack days so no personal input on that one other than that it can indeed hold an edge!

elemmac

Angel Diva
I think it depends on your appetite for owning a ski that might get used 1-2 times a year (and occasionally not get used at all on the east coast). Or are you looking for something that gets used more than that. There are lots of capable, floaty skis in the 100-106 range that you’ll get more use out of. But a rockered powder ski in the 110+ range can be so much fun…but only that much fun on days like you experienced this weekend.

I have a pair of 116s that only come out on the biggest snow days. It’s even more rare for me to choose them, given that I normally snowboard on powder days. But when I do get them out, I always have a blast, and don’t regret owning them.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I think it depends on your appetite for owning a ski that might get used 1-2 times a year (and occasionally not get used at all on the east coast). Or are you looking for something that gets used more than that. There are lots of capable, floaty skis in the 100-106 range that you’ll get more use out of. But a rockered powder ski in the 110+ range can be so much fun…but only that much fun on days like you experienced this weekend.

I have a pair of 116s that only come out on the biggest snow days. It’s even more rare for me to choose them, given that I normally snowboard on powder days. But when I do get them out, I always have a blast, and don’t regret owning them.
I have plenty of other skis, so I’m fine with having something just for this purpose that’s used really infrequently here.

beane

Certified Ski Diva

Salomon QST 106 - I can still get this ski to edge on groomed trails so that’s heartening. Big pontoony paddle front does great for me in chopped up powder conditions at the end of the day.

Black Crows Atris Birdie - Fun ski - it’s all laminates so very poppy and a better match for more advanced skier IMO. Haven’t gotten to ski it is very deep conditions but surprisingly groomer friendly.

Volkl Blaze 106/104 - already mentioned here! Light, turny. The new 104 swaps in a band of ash for a bit more stiffness and wraps the metal of the mounting plate down the ski to address some delamination issues that plagued the earlier models. FWIW I haven’t heard of female skiers encountering these issues so it might come up more with heavier skiers going harder on the longer sizes specifically. I wouldn’t turn down a deal on this years Blaze. I’ve only skied the 104 on the hardest of hard pack days so no personal input on that one other than that it can indeed hold an edge!
Did you have a chance to try to new Ripstick 106? I was sort of narrowed down to Blaze and QST but then saw what elan has come out with and it gave me pause...

MissySki

Angel Diva

I HAVE been very interested in trying the Blaze 106 since I love the Blaze 86 so much!

elemmac

Angel Diva
I have plenty of other skis, so I’m fine with having something just for this purpose that’s used really infrequently here.
With that in mind…Armada ARW VJJ 116, or maybe a Bent Chet 110 (set back to the “traditional” mount point) come to mind. Or a Sheeva 11, based on your love for the Sheeva 9s.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna