• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

How to get the most out of your ski lesson

snow addict

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
But that's why I said it's important to communicate to avoid a typical "follow me" lesson. It's easier to customise a private lesson, a group lesson will generally gravitate to some average. Communicate within a group and then communicate with instructor.

CMCM

Certified Ski Diva
No, I really don't aspire to ski more and more difficult terrain. I'm 66 now, and I don't really want to push the envelope and risk getting injured by skiing aggressively or on difficult terrain. I enjoy leisurely skiing at a comfortable pace on manageable terrain, but I'd like to do it well and with grace. I came to serious skiing late (in my late 50's) and I've gotten better than I ever thought I'd be, but I'm still not where I'd like to be in terms of ability. I don't want to go way off piste, I don't want to go on the steeps or on ice, and I do not want to ski like a racer. I've been at this long enough now to know my basic outlook isn't going to do a 180 in terms of attitude. BUT…I've had a few instructors (admittedly they were males) who just wanted to push push push in a way I didn't want to be pushed. I've had better experiences with female instructors, but much as I'd like to do a private lesson, the prices are way out of my ballpark at Squaw these days, can't afford them.

Tvan

Angel Diva
A lot of us take lessons, so I'm wondering:

What do you think someone should know about ski lessons? Sure, there's important stuff like 'be aware of your true abilities going in' and 'have an idea for what you want to work on.' But are there other things that it would make sense to be aware of, either before you start or once you're in a class? What do you think it takes to get the most out of your ski lesson? And instructors, what do you recommend?

In order to get the most out of lessons, I find it helpful to remove as many distractions as I can.
  • Eat ahead of time
  • Use the rest room
  • Turn off the cell phone
  • Dress appropriately for the weather conditions
All seems like common sense, but I find it useful to have a pre-lesson checklist. I'm usually a little nervous when I take a ski lesson and removing distractions helps me feel prepared to work on new skills with an instructor that I may not (yet) know. And that leads me to another important part of lesson preparation for me:
  • Be ready to "accept" instruction... set intention to learn and try new things.
I've had some lessons where instructors suggested trying things that didn't seem useful, but once I tried, were actually very effective. Again, it seems like common sense to put trust in the instructor, but reminding myself that I'm taking a lesson to learn something new is a helpful item for my pre-lesson checklist.

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
In addition to the great questions my colleagues brought up in earlier posts, I always ask of my students to speak up and let me know if they are cold, hungry, confused by my instructions, need a bathroom break, and most importantly remind them that it is their lesson and to please speak up early in the day to make certain that I am on the right path. We are all different in what we want or think we want. I specifically tell them to inform me if at any point I am skiing too much, instructing too much, drilling too much. I check in often about this.

While perfect practice is the best way to proceed, the key word is still practice. A willingness to keep trying a drill, or movement is critical to getting the most out of a lesson. I often see students get frustrated who can not accomplish a new drill within half a minute even if they are solid and fast skiers on blacks. To get something out of lesson it is helpful to go into it with a readyness to fail a few times before we succeed. Top level racers still spend a fair bit of time on drills and skills. These sometimes convoluted exercises point out where we have room to improve without the coach or instructor needing to say very much to help define the deficiency. It is not our goal as instructors to create a situation where a student fails. It is however part of the learning process to be challenged, and it can take hours to begin to master an exercise or a new movement. Many more hours than most of us will spend in a lesson or with a student. Therefore, setting intermediary goals can be really helpful to keep morale high over the season or the years.

One suggestion to maximize the benefit of a lesson, would actually be to take a group lesson rather than a private lesson if there are multiple people looking to save money by splitting one instructor. Or at the very least have each student spend a couple of hours alone with the instructor. The benefit of group lessons can be that the ability level is much better matched than in a private lesson shared between friends or family members of a variety of ages.

Last but not least to get the most out of a lesson, if it is a lesson where a parent is observing or participating with their child, it is important and helpful for that parent to resist the urge to take on the role of the instructor. Unlike many of my colleagues I actually find that adults and kids can learn well together. Parents can be incredibly helpful in the lesson situation as long as they wait for specific instructions and directions.

TeleChica

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
But that's why I said it's important to communicate to avoid a typical "follow me" lesson. It's easier to customise a private lesson, a group lesson will generally gravitate to some average. Communicate within a group and then communicate with instructor.

Wow I wish I had read this before my expensive 2-hour private at Fernie a couple of years ago. Is the "follow me" lesson typical? I teach tele, and that sure does not work for beginners and intermediates. I've attended MANY instructor training sessions and they were ALL about drills.

At Fernie my goal was to get more comfortable on steep terrain. Unfortunately, conditions were firm, so we never really skied anything that put me out of my comfort zone. That said, all I did was chase my instructor (a former racer) all over the mountain. She repeated the same thing over and over, "make C-turns, not Zed turns." OK, I tried to round out my turns by following her tracks, and succeeded some of the time, but I'm not even sure she saw me a lot of the time because she was always in front. I have no idea what I am doing that makes my turns less rounded, and I still don't know. While I'm a good skier and routinely ski most all trails and trees in NE, I have plenty of room for improvement, so it was frustrating not to get more input. The one thing she did teach me was to make my shoulders parallel to the slope, which I had never heard before, but it seemed to do something for me at the time. Honestly, my sense was that she had no idea what to do with me.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga