• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

How to get over my fear of speed?

drjoyous

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
hi okemotracey--
i still ride the metrons because i love them. i have been demoing around, though, looking to the future for replacements (!)
i will either buy fischer amc 76s, or the atomic b5/m11 (which is softer than the b5, which my husband rides). The b5/m11 seems to be the replacement for the metron 11s (which i love for heavy crud), however they may faze them out by replacing with other things. Like i said, i'm happy to search ebay for new skis that are a few years old and still in their shrinkwrap. I love the old graphics, and don't have to have this year's ski...

so the balanze 11 will be replaced by fischer amc 76; the m11 will be replaced by atomic b5/m11. Now, to find them new, with bindings, for under $200...

whitewater girl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
[*]Boots too big - easily fixed by a professional fitter and/or new boots.
[/LIST]

I started becoming comfortable with speed only recently after finally getting boots that really fit...only appreciated how much I needed smaller boots (mine didn't feel all that big :() when I got stiffer, longer skis that couldn't be skied in my old boots...while it's not always the case, sometimes your gear really can be what's holding you back...

tamlyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The other women put it right, get your equipment issues straightened out, you need tight fitting boots or you will get sloppy as you go faster, this is a healthy fear, longer skis go faster and handle speed better, also stiffer skis. If you are afraid to go fast try a radical sidecut, like a slalom type ski with a 13 to 15 foot meter radius, you can get used to skiing quicker which will make going really fast alot easier when you move up to a GS or big mountain ski.

Getting over fear of speed and steep icy terrain is something I doubt I will ever get over. When I am in the starting gate of a steep FIS course I am always nervous as a cat. And I have been doing this a long time. I am never scared during a race....just in the gate so some of it is anticipation. I think this is also healthy, lets face it you can get hurt doing this! I was once at a really big race (Killington Easter Classic) and it was an invitational Slalom/ DH combined so there were alot of top notch racers, including Cindy Nelson, Tamara McKinny and alot of other US Ski team A squad skiers. I was talking to Cindy Nelson and asked her when the butterflies go away ie. the fear at the start, she shrugged and said never! But then thats what gives us the adrenaline rush so many speed oriented skiers look for.
Tami (gravity girl)

Delawhere

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I would also suggest increasing your speed in other, non-skiing sports. When I started using a GPS to monitor my speed and distance, I found that I definitely had the same comfort level for ALL of my activities. It didn't make a difference if I was inline skating, skiing, water skiing or biking, it seemed like my comfort speed was the basically the same.

I first increased my bicycling speed by actively pedaling down hills that I was previously content to either coast down or (egads!) would actually brake down because I thought I was going too fast. Once I got used to that speed I didn't mind going faster on my skates and that apparently carried over to this years skiing.

Now, although I am only a slowish skier :redface: I am a lot faster than I used to be. :smile:

I also agree that vision is very important. I find myself slowing down when I am looking just in front of my skis. I am much more confident and much faster when I am looking several turns ahead. This applies to every sport.

Now put me behind the wheel in a car and it's a different story...:D

whitewater girl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Interesting...

...I was talking to someone on the lift yesterday who felt a helmet added 5mph (at least) to his speed - NOT because it made him feel safer, but because it dulled the noise of the speed making the faster speed "feel" more reasonable...

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Interesting...

...I was talking to someone on the lift yesterday who felt a helmet added 5mph (at least) to his speed - NOT because it made him feel safer, but because it dulled the noise of the speed making the faster speed "feel" more reasonable...
This is funny, because mine "whistles" - meaning "max speed" to me, ha. Also, the air rushing through the vents in my googles is always sure to start breaking the adhesion of at least one of my contact lenses :eek: -- which usually provokes some major speed checking! Sudden loss of vision is NOT a good thing....

skidoc120

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What a great observation, Delawhere! I'm going to try that.

I would also suggest increasing your speed in other, non-skiing sports. When I started using a GPS to monitor my speed and distance, I found that I definitely had the same comfort level for ALL of my activities. It didn't make a difference if I was inline skating, skiing, water skiing or biking, it seemed like my comfort speed was the basically the same.

I first increased my bicycling speed by actively pedaling down hills that I was previously content to either coast down or (egads!) would actually brake down because I thought I was going too fast. Once I got used to that speed I didn't mind going faster on my skates and that apparently carried over to this years skiing.

Okemotracey

Certified Ski Diva
Thanks ladies! I must say I demo'd the 2010 Fuego last weekend and ripped down the mountain! It was so stable I felt very safe and the speed was exciting! I know alot of divas are disappointed in the change in the Fuego but I loved it. I demo'd this years Fuego and found it to be alittle too much for me. I will be waiting for the new model to come out to buy. Once I got back on my Metrons I felt that same instability...

bklyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Maybe a controlled environment for speed would help? Try out the NASTAR course.

You get feedback on timing, you're allowed to go as fast as you possibly can, and you don't have to worry about other people.

I second Altagirl on the vision aspect as well. When racing, you have to look ahead a few gates in order to anticipate your turns, so it's good practice for that also.

altagirl

Staff member

I think this is probably true and you get good vision practice from any of these sports. I think once you get in the habit of looking far enough ahead to be able to pick up your speed it transfers from one sport to another pretty easily.

Someone mentioned driving and my MTB coach actually mentioned that - in a car - it's not like any of us are staring at the ground a couple feet ahead when you're driving on the highway. You're used to looking ahead to see what's coming. If you stared at the next dotted line in the middle of the road you'd be dizzy and disoriented and certainly wouldn't feel comfortable going fast. Make sure you're doing the same thing with all the sports you participate in as well - you can't stare at the next bump, the tips of your skis, the next tree you're hoping to avoid... Keep your head up, look ahead and look where you want to go.

And a NASTAR course is probably a good idea. I know crowds are the other thing that slow me down - if a groomer is wide open and i have it to myself - I go as fast as I can. When it's crowded (if I'm not avoiding it altogether), I slow down a lot because I'm worried about people cutting in front of me unexpectedly. So if you can find an empty slope or a racecourse to practice on - I'm sure it would help a lot.

Nativecoskier

Diva in Training
There is a lot of great advice here. I, personally, have had similar issues especially after having fallen and tearing my ALC/MLC. Yes, skiing on a slightly longer ski has helped and having a good, solid carver has also done some good. It is a confidence issue and sometimes making some physical changes can help with the mental setbacks. It might help to take a refresher lesson...that is what did it for me. We all know how to ski here, but alot of it is how comfortable we feel about our technique, trustability of our gear, and comfort with the people we ski with...I understand that I have repeated a lot of what others have stated, but it is all good advice! Speed comes with confidence...Period!

SueNJ

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Maybe a controlled environment for speed would help? Try out the NASTAR course.

You get feedback on timing, you're allowed to go as fast as you possibly can, and you don't have to worry about other people.

I second Altagirl on the vision aspect as well. When racing, you have to look ahead a few gates in order to anticipate your turns, so it's good practice for that also.
This was actually my first experience with going fast without freaking out and trying to slow down--I did my first NASTAR race a few years ago, and learned to love going fast. The racing gave me something else to focus on besides "yikes, I'm going sooo fast!!" You're looking to the next gate and timing your turns so you don't lose speed or seconds. And after your first run, you then have a time to beat! I also have skis that behave regardless of how fast I'm skiing--Volkl Attiva 5 Stars, Volkl Queen Attivas, and Fischer Vision Breeze. Chattering skis don't mix well with speed in my book.

skatha

Certified Ski Diva

Now, although I am only a slowish skier :redface: I am a lot faster than I used to be. :smile:

I also agree that vision is very important. I find myself slowing down when I am looking just in front of my skis. I am much more confident and much faster when I am looking several turns ahead. This applies to every sport.

Now put me behind the wheel in a car and it's a different story...:D

I second this...I was a bit skittish first out, mainly because of my history of snowboarding but I got to thinking while biking that I don't mind 20-25 mph on the road on my bike and most recreational skiers don't go much faster than this. Also, gravity is your friend when skiing. You have better control of your turns at speed and you can stop more effectively letting your skis carve uphill.
The snowboard terms that come to mind when discussing stability at speed are "damp" and "chatter". You want damp skis to absorb those little inconsistencies in the trail. The shaky feeling you get at speed is called chatter-you want skis that minimize chatter. Wider skis may help and longer skis will help-it's a matter of P-tex against the snow. Edging scrubs speed, too-so obviously straight line bombing will make you very fast, but you'll be as well loved as a snowboarder!
Plus, why go as fast as your husband? The ride is as fun as the destination. Or, bomb the hill and wait longer in line at the lift!

tcarey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Tracey,
First off you don't ski that slow.Looking into a ski you can trust will help.I believe that we need to spend more time in the fall line,moving faster in order to slow down progressivley.Finding a slope where there is less traffic would also be another way to increase your speed.It's all about commitment Tracey and trusting yourself and your equipment.

Just a side note,I will never ski as fast as some of the folks I work with,to me it really doesn't matter who skis faster.It's our run to enjoy so ski it the way it works for you!

Terry

Jcb2ski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
All these post are helpful, as I do not like speed. However many talked about a different ski. My question is how to get more of a edge or carve on steeper terrain or on ice. Have posted a similiar question tonight also.
Know my skis will do what I need them to but not sure how to get my edges so you can see more of the bottoms of the ski. Know I need this to help e on steeper and fast trails.
I really liked how one of you wrote get many many days of skiing the more milage the better they got.
Any other steps to get on edge for a better carve would be great.

mountainxtc

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi Okemotracey,

you've gotten a lot of tactical advice in this thread so far (look ahead, try a more stable ski, etc) but not much related to ski technique. tcarey touched on a great point;

Tracey,
I believe that we need to spend more time in the fall line,moving faster in order to slow down progressivley.

yes! you will probably find that you need to change your concept of the shape of a turn. I suspect that when you ski fast, you feel that you gain more and more speed as you progress down the slope, resulting in you tossing the skis to the side faster and faster to try to slow down (Z shaped turns) and an out of control feeling.

try to round out your turn shape, spending, as tcarey says, a little more time in the fall line than you would normally feel comfortable with, and use the round, progressive, end of the turn for speed control. be patient and keep your skis turning at the same rate all the way through the turn (more of a C shape) instead of rushing through the fall (panic!) line. If you come to the point where your skis are pointing across the hill and you still feel that you are going too fast (i.e. gaining speed), don't stop turning. keep turning progressively more uphill until you have controlled your speed. it only takes a very tiny amount of uphill angle. this way you can maintain a consistent speed all the way, whether it be consistently slow or consistently fast!

as you become more skilled at skiing fast under control, your turn shape will change yet again, but don't worry about that yet. definitely consider taking some carving lessons as this is a very necessary skill for skiing under control at high speeds. a high speed skid is scary!

C

CMCM

All these post are helpful, as I do not like speed. However many talked about a different ski. My question is how to get more of a edge or carve on steeper terrain or on ice. Have posted a similiar question tonight also.
Know my skis will do what I need them to but not sure how to get my edges so you can see more of the bottoms of the ski. Know I need this to help e on steeper and fast trails.
I really liked how one of you wrote get many many days of skiing the more milage the better they got.

One thing I've found out is that on less steep slopes, I really do need a bit more speed and that makes my turns easier and better. When I go on steeper slopes, no way I'd go fast. Oddly, it seems easier to turn on steeper slopes and you don't need the speed as much because you have the slope. So the bottom line there is that no way I'd be aiming to barrel fast down a steep slope...not going to happen with me!

I'd slightly disagree with some previous comments about speed, though. I LOVE driving fast...to the extent I used to think it would really be fun to drive on a racetrack. So no fear there, and the comfort with speed in driving did not translate to skis. But on skis, I've felt more vulnerable. I always had visions of wipeouts like you see with slalom racers or something. So as I mentioned previously, a lot of it was about developing my balance and feeling secure about my ability all around. I'm a thousand per cent better than I was a couple of years ago, but that said, I don't want to push the envelope with possible injury, and I'm content to be an easy going but not fast skier. I mostly feel comfortable on blues, and in general, when I've tackled steep slopes I can do them without fear but it's more work than I want to do, frankly.

But again, a major factor is mileage, mileage, mileage! At least, that has been true for me! :smile:

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Recommend either the books and/or dvd's by author Lito Tejada-Flores for a good primer that will explain and illustrate things far better than I can. Years ago, I delved into his "Getting Out of the Intermediate Rut" (or similar title, can't altogether remember) right after starting shaped skis (although the "shape" was quite moderate back then compared to now). I recall others here having mentioned that they benefited from Tejada-Flores.

Mitch09

Certified Ski Diva
I'm a beginner end skier....struggling with the fear of speed yet also with making my parallel turns...my partner is always saying "just point down the fall line and the turns will happen"....yah right....and then I'll be going too fast (on the green hill) and will freak out! lol

Well, last ski trip I started to pick up speed on some green runs (not the bunny hill) and just said "F*#k it" when I started to get nervous about my "speed" and I let myself go....I made some great turns (for me) and I survived! :yahoo: My partner said the smile on my face was the best he had seen on me while skiing! Can't wait to get back on the mountain and try it again....and faster!:ski:

Taos Blonde

Certified Ski Diva
Ski Lessons Helped Me

I was in your situation. I took lessons with an instructor who kind of focuses on this. I took them at Taos Ski Valley for a week ($99 in January) and was very honest with the ski school about my level, what I hoped to accomplish and that I was a fearful skier.

What I learned was that I'm not alone. I had a terrific instructor, Kathy Bennett, who has really turned me around. I'm not a speed demon and never will be, but she was great--no--make that awesome.

You might want to ask around at the place where you'll be taking the lessons, too. I know of several instructors in Taos who like to teach (dare I say it) older women and who want the older women to enjoy skiing and get better. It is a passion and sub-specialty for them.

I also found that taking the full 6 days of lessons really helped me build my confidence. I don't think that a half day or even a full day lesson would have done it. Heaven knows I've taken plenty of those over the past 30 years.

Finally, it was nice to be in a group with other women who were at a similar physical and mental ability. Actually, at the end of our week, we decided that we'd like to come back next year and spend another week with Kathy! And these are women from Spain, CA and IL.

Kathy completely changed skiing for all of us.

I hope this helped. I know that it's a little long. Good luck!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga