• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

How to fix a flat tire

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Great video Wendy.

I highly recommend that anyone riding take a bike maintenence class. My LBS offers them weekly and I just got a refresher course on changing a tire. Then, go home and practice at least once before you have to do it out on the ride. Carry an emergency kit with spare tube, patch kit, tire levers, multi tool and pump at all times. If all else fails out on the trail if you have the tools often someone will stop to help.

abc

Banned
My favorate way to fix a flat:

Stick to well traveled routes. When flatted, just take the pump off the holder, tool kit out of the saddle bag, then flip the bike over and WAIT... (maybe I'll even start to take the wheel off, especially if it's a front wheel, if you know what I mean :smile: )

Won't take very long. A very capable male cyclist (or two) will stop and do it for me! :D

I'm not even joking here. Yes, I can fix a flat if need be (like, if I'm riding in the woods no other rider will go). But I rarely need to. (Oh, the fact I rarely get flats helps a lot too. ;-) )

Consuela

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My favorate way to fix a flat:

Stick to well traveled routes. When flatted, just take the pump off the holder, tool kit out of the saddle bag, then flip the bike over and wait... (maybe I'll even start to take the wheel off, especially if it's a front wheel, if you know what I mean :smile: )

Won't take very long. A very capable male cyclist (or two) will stop and do it for me! :D

I'm not even joking here. Yes, I can fix a flat if need be (like, if I'm riding in the woods no other rider will go). But I rarely need to. (Oh, the fact I rarely get flats helps a lot too. ;-) )

ABC!! LOL :ROTF: For some reason, this just surprises me! :eek: Not that there's anything wrong with it... :eyebrows: I'm just surprised for some unknown reason.

I also like to carry a chain tool and got to use it on my very first ride this season when my chain broke right in half mid-ride. Took 20 minutes to fix while being eaten by mesquitos, but got back on the trail after that and didn't have to carry my bike one step!

Chain tool is definately another one to practice on a spare tail of chain at home before you need it on the trail. Even with practice, it can be kind of :frusty: especially if you accidently push the pin all the way out. Yes, I did! :bag:

Of course, I replaced the chain the next day.

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Haha! My group leader who did our refresher (well, for me, first time for some) last night said that if you hold your wheel in one hand, the pump in the other and hike the shorts up some you should be good. And it's true. Except when you're at home and need to switch from your slicks to your knobby tires. :D

I've had times where I'm down on the ground doing a brake adjustment or such and definitely had plenty of offers of help.

abc

Banned
I meant it to be funny. Glad you get a laugh, Connie. :D

The key is FLIP THE BIKE OVER (upside down) as though you're going to take the wheel out...

That, indicates you have a mechanical, instead of just resting or adjusting something minor. :smile:

Not that I want to deprive the male cyclist their opportunities, I always slow down and ask if they need help if I see someone with his/her bike upside down and a spare tube (or lots of grease ;-) ) in their hand.

Kiragirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My front tire tends to go low....for re-inflating a tire at home, do you recommend using a regular stand-up hand pump or using the CO2 cartridges w/adapter?

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I would say the stand up because you have better control over the amount of air you're putting in. However, have you checked your tube to see what is causing it to go flat? Tubes are pretty inexpensive to replace (like under $10) and you can probably solve your problem quite easily.

Kiragirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
yup, I will have it checked, but want to have a pump, too. thanks!

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hey kiragirl,

CO2 cartridges are good for quick fixes but I would not recommend using them for a permanent pumping situation. Plus, you can not get your tires to a specific psi with a CO2 cartridge, whereas you have a high degree of control using a floor pump.

For a low-weight, easy situation for on the road flats, CO2 is fine, but considering that they cost 2-3 bucks each and only are good for one flat, they are not very cost-effective either.

I have also heard that once inflated with CO2 tires lose air more quickly, through permeation of the CO2 through the rubber tube. I am not sure the scientific backup of that, but know that after a CO2 tire inflate I always have to put much more psi into my tires the next day than usual. Of course, this could also be that I seem to never be able to get my tires up to past 90 using a CO2 cartridge.

OK, so to put it simply, for at home (and at car too!) use, floor pumps=your best friend!

K.

Kiragirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks a lot! and that makes me trust the salesman because he was saying stuff very similar about the cost of CO2's, the psi accuracy, etc. I have a hybrid so would only need to pump it up to 40-45 psi or so depending on surface, but not to 90 thank god. Sounds like a good idea to have a CO2 in your pack for that (knock on wood) emergency out there somewhere.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
I dunno. I get a lot more satisfaction actually being able to FIX a bike on the trail, so when the helpful male shows up, we can let him know, "no thanks, we got it covered".

Consuela

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I agree!

I agree with GearGirl. I'm a bit anti-CO2, so to speak. But then, I'm not racing. Maybe I would feel different if I was.

I prefer to patch and pump. Hand pump can be used again and again and again (think green). If someone needs to borrow it, I won't be thinking, "Hmmm... what if I get a flat in a mile?"

Although, I might make an exception for cartridge if it contained helium and I could float right up the hill! :laugh:

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Although, if you're riding a road bike you can't get a tire to a high enough psi with a hand pump.

altagirl

Staff member
I guess this is telling as to how much I'm NOT a weight weenie. I carry a pump, usually 2 spare tubes, a patch kit, a CO2 thing with 3 or 4 cartridges, 2 big metal motorcycle tire levers (DH tires can be tough), and a big wrench to remove bolt on hubs/axles.... in addition to my multi tool, spare cleats, random bolts, brake pads, derailleur hanger, zip ties, duct tape, first aid kit, food, emergency kit...

Anyway - totally concur that a floor pump is a must. Hand pumps are for on-trail fixes, and CO2 is for on-trail emergencies (which includes anytime I'm hot, tired, and frustrated enough that $3 a cartridge stops sounding expensive...)

AND - I run tubeless tires. You can convert just about any standard MTB tire/rim into tubeless, run lower pressure for better traction and not worry about pinch flats or small punctures. The only way you get flat tires with tubeless is if you run the pressure so low you pop the tire off the bead, or if you tear a sidewall or cut the tire too big for the sealant to fix it. The large majority of my tire repair supplies go to other people on the trail.

abc

Banned
I guess this is telling as to how much I'm NOT a weight weenie. I carry a pump, usually 2 spare tubes, a patch kit, a CO2 thing with 3 or 4 cartridges, 2 big metal motorcycle tire levers (DH tires can be tough), and a big wrench to remove bolt on hubs/axles.... in addition to my multi tool, spare cleats, random bolts, brake pads, derailleur hanger, zip ties, duct tape, first aid kit, food, emergency kit...

AND - I run tubeless tires. .
LOL!

That's QUITE a lot considering you're running tubeless!!! :D

Anyway, second (third, fourth?) the floor pump suggestion. CO2 is STRICTLY for road side repairs. Yes, the CO2 will leak out a lot faster than air. So a tire inflated with CO2 at road side will need to be re-inflated the next time you take the bike out. So if you're using CO2 to top it off, it explains why your tires always goes flat once you let the bike sits at home for a day.

CO2 is for on-trail emergencies (which includes anytime I'm hot, tired, and frustrated enough that $3 a cartridge stops sounding expensive...)
Add to that list, when I'm being eaten alive by musquitos!!! (and in the winter time, CO2 is a must or you're freezing waiting for your buddy to pump his tire up)

abc

Banned
Although, if you're riding a road bike you can't get a tire to a high enough psi with a hand pump.
Robyn, you need a better hand pump!

I have probably half the arm size as yours and can still get my road tires up to 120psi. There's only ONE pump that can do it FOR ME: Topek (road) Morph.

Even on the "true mini" scence (Morph is bigger than a true mini but smaller than a "traditional" frame pump), pumps are not created equal. Some are simply better than others. Even within the same family of pump brand, there're still trade-off of speed vs. pressure (the two are against each other, the fastest pumps tend to need a lot of muscle to push the handle when you get near 100psi)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna