• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

How to display trail maps?

BatGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've been collecting trailmaps from every mountain I've skied and have been trying to come up with something creative to do with them, to show them off. Any suggestions?

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
BatGirl said:
I've been collecting trailmaps from every mountain I've skied and have been trying to come up with something creative to do with them, to show them off. Any suggestions?

This kind of depends on their size, but maybe you could laminate them and use them for placemats.

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member

Oh, cool idea, I'm doing the same. I have a few tacked up in my cube at work, but it would be cool to find a way to display all of them at home.

Jilly

Staff member
Scan them and use them for wallpaper or screen saver on your computer. A few years ago you could buy a CD with 100 trail maps to do it. How about under the glass on the coffee table??

BatGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Unfortunately, I don't have a glasstop coffeetable, and I use tablecloths instead of placemats. Although a guy I know arranges his race bib numbers under the glass on his dinner table top, and it does look really good!

What I had been thinking was to somehow arrange them on posterboard or a frame backing with the covers only showing, then frame them and hang them. It just doesn't allow for adding more maps easily.

Gina23

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
awesome idea! For some reason, mine always get kind of wet... guess I sweat a lot. So, I'm thinking that wouldn't work real well with me... I have a pack of them, but they are a little crusty.

BatGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Maybe SkiDiva's lamination idea would work best for yours then. Either that, or you might have to force yourself to go back and get a new set. ;)

Jilly

Staff member
Poster board type might be neat. I've thought about getting the one of Tremblant done that way for the condo. It'd cover alot of dead wall space! And easier to show people where to go! (or not)

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
A cool thing to try might be to take all your trail maps and just cut out your favorite section. In my cube I have just the Mineral Basin insert rather than the whole Snowbird trailmap, and just the Rosebrook Glades from Bretton Woods. If you're clever enough to cut out sections that are all the same shape you could make something like this, either digitally (scan & upload them) or manually (attach them all to 1 big piece of posterboard): https://hk.geocities.com/book_bugs/lomo_poster.jpg

BatGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That does sound like a cool idea. Kind of a create-your-ideal-ski-resort thing. Thanks!

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I always pick up an extra map and keep at least 1 of our lift tickets. We're beginning to plaster the ceiling of our guest bedroom with the maps and their associated tickets.

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Gina23 said:
awesome idea! For some reason, mine always get kind of wet... guess I sweat a lot. So, I'm thinking that wouldn't work real well with me... I have a pack of them, but they are a little crusty.

Oh, this reminds me of a funny story. Last year, I was shopping for a new ski coat for my dad (Christmas gift). I found a great Gore-Tex shell with the zip-out fleece lining at TJ Maxx.

When I was getting it ready to wrap, I noticed that the pockets were kind of lumpy. So I reached in, and pulled out ... a crusty, dog-eared Winter Park trail map, a half-eaten candy bar!!, and some WADDED-UP (and probably used) KLEENEX.

Ick ick ick. Luckily I didn't have any problem returning it ("I swear, someone ELSE used it already, not me!"), and I'm very very glad I didn't give it to my father. Although he got a kick out of the close call.

Anyway, sorry to hijack. Back to the thread ...

(I also have a bunch of interesting trail maps that I don't know what to do with ... most are old, Keystone, Breck, ABasin, Taos from the late 60s/early 70s, Copper from its first season, Beaver Creek from its first two seasons ... )

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I had a small stack building up, so I've put them on the wall behind the desk in our office. The room used to be a kid's room so is wallpapered in Tennesee Titans paper (funny, considering we're in PA). It looks kinda cool and I can easily keep adding. I think when we get around to redoing the room I'll get some corkboard and keep the same feel.

K.

BatGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Kimmy, what did you use to attach the maps to the wall? Regular thumbtacks?

Another idea I was considering was using 3D shadowboxes. Again, you end up only showing off the front cover, but it helps minimize space.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna