• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

How soon after a hysterectomy did you snow ski?

Blondeinabmw

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Trying to figure out when to schedule this #$%& surgery so that it doesn't interfere with a couple of trips planned. If you had a hysterectomy, how soon after did you downhill ski? Did it wear you out? My window is looking like I might be about 9 weeks post-op. Of course, I have to clear it with the doctor beforehand, but I'm skiing this season!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Less than 6 weeks. No major incisions, so I was fine. Surgery mid-Nov, was skiing by xmas.

Depends. If laprascopic, not long, but if a full surgery with traditional incision, longer. Not sure about other types of procedures. Regardless of type of procedure, you need to rest properly right after surgery and for first few weeks afterwards and let yourself heal.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Depends. If laprascopic, not long, but if a full surgery with traditional incision, longer. Not sure about other types of procedures.
If out "the way of babies" - as mine was - with laprascopic instrumentation incisions, only the incisions are briefly uncomfortable. I actually expected this to be worse than it turned out to be. It certainly beat the alternative...(keeping the &*$% thing...)

IceHeeler

Angel Diva
I had my hysterectomy in June, was skiing by October. Mine was done abdominally, so I did some physical therapy to make sure my core was strong enough to keep me upright. I had a couple of instances where I "pulled" an incision point and it bruised up; that was quite a while after the surgery. I just kept massaging the area until the scar tissue stopped catching the muscle and skin.
Don't forget to have a post-hysterectomy party. "Neener neener I don't menstruate any more. Do you want this box of pads?"

Inoffensive Nickname

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I wasn't skiing yet when I had mine. However, I don't suggest going out dancing 2 weeks post-op. Mine was done with internal incisions (not abdominal), which is a faster initial recovery time but overall, you will still need time to heal. I would say that a lot would depend on your skill level and how much work skiing is for you. Also take into consideration whether you're sensitive to your hormones, because whether or not you keep your ovaries, your hormones are likely to still be out of whack at that time. I'm somewhere between novice and not terrified of blue squares, in good health, and not what you would call physically fit, so my guess is that if you're in good enough shape to resume working out, you'd be in good enough shape to ski after 9 weeks...you may have to take it easy, and this should in no way be taken as medical advice. I apologize in advance if this is against forum rules to post (and please edit or ask me to if I'm in violation), but there's a really great website called hystersisters with a lot of great information that may or may not pertain to you. (For example: I was happy about my decision to have it done, although it's tragic for some.)

Christy

Angel Diva
I need a partial (I get to keep my ovaries, woohoo) to take care of fibroids. It's odd because I have 2 that are bigger than baseballs but I'm not symptomatic. In the interest of not waiting until anything bad happens to me, though (when your dr mentions things like "bowel obstruction" I think it's best not to wait for that), I'm just going to go ahead and get this done. It will be laprascopic.

I'm thinking early October--I saw my dr yesterday and she said, hey, why not now? Enjoy the rest of the summer at home! Umm, no, it's still hiking season. But I think after the long Columbus Day weekend will be good. That'll give me 7.5 weeks before our annual Whistler Thanksgiving ski trip. That might be pushing it. Hopefully I can ski, even if I can't ski full days.

Christy you should be fine. I had the same surgery in 2008 when I was 48 and took my girls to NYC 10 days later for a trip to see my family, no problem. I remember when someone mentioned to me before the surgery that it will be nice for me not to have to deal with my period anymore and I was like whoa, I hadn't thought of that! Not to mention the whole no birth control thing.

Blondeinabmw

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks so much, Divas! I'm going in a week from today, so I know I'll be back in tip-top shape by the time I take to the slopes. I figure my recovery period will give me some time to research the new skis and boots I get to buy this season (because I'm awesome and too awesome for my old gear!).

Going in for the TVH procedure (pulling the whole thing out the way of babies - no external incisions, and keeping my ovaries), and having a bladder sling so I won't leak anymore on those (rare?) occasions when I bite it on the mountain.

I look forward to not packing feminine products in my brand new ski jacket too.

Christy

Angel Diva
I just had my pre op appointment and I am set for October 4. I've never had surgery of any kind, or ever stayed at the hospital, and funny the things you don't know about. Umm, enemas? Catheters? Eek. Make sure your husband waits at the hospital in case you almost die and we need him. Hmm. I almost cried when I read something about not eating after 9 am the day before but luckily this turned out not to apply to me. :smile: This is probably nothing to all you women that have had children or been through multiple surgeries, I know.

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
Christy, you'll be fine. The catheter isn't that really a big deal, just a little weird at first when it comes out. The new anesthesias they have as well as the pain meds make things much more manageable post-surgery.

I just had my pre op appointment yesterday, and I'm scheduled for surgery Sept 18. I was sort of hoping for more time to paddle board this fall, but I want to get this over with. I have some scar tissue from 2 previous myomectomies (removal of uterine cysts), so I may not be lucky enough to get this done as a laproscopic surgery. My doc won't know until she goes in and takes a look. But, I'll just take it as it comes. I was told 2-6 weeks recovery time. It's different for everybody, depending on their circumstances. I am working out like crazy and doing a lot of core stuff in yoga, so hopefully that will shorten my recovery period.

I have to go through the whole bowel purging thing the day before, just as in getting a colonoscopy. I'm not looking forward to that!

I've had two caths in the past 4 years. I had to come home with a cath for a week after my hyst in 4/08 because my bladder was fused to my uterus from 2 prior caesareans and when they were removing my uterus, it tore. That sucked but once it was out, I was a happy camper and recovered very very quickly. Anyway, you'll be groggy after the surgery and before you know it, the cath will be removed in a NY minute and it doesn't hurt when it's removed.

I wasn't asked to use an enema the day prior to either surgery, just to refrain from eating or drinking prior to surgery (which is really important). But it will certainly make things easier to get going again after surgery if you're empty. And yes to the core work, it helped me recover from my surgeries as well.

Good luck to both of you, it's a right of passage for many of us!

playoutside

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I had my hysterectomy surgery early sept 2007 ...6.5 lbs of fibroids removed...one the size of a grapefruit and others oranges and lemons. My incision had to be vertical to get at fibroids that were as high as my diaphragm. I felt pretty great within weeks (stayed out of work for the 8 weeks allowed because I could) but I was tired for a few months, mostly because I lost a couple units of blood. I was in the hospital for 4 days and started doing laps on day 2. I started taking casual walks outside at about a week. I tried to respect my need for naps. I rested when my body told me to. I sometimes felt up to more strenuous sports, but didn't want to push my luck. Started biking and flatwater kayaking at about 4 weeks. I waited 6 weeks to do real core work.

I skied in December; if we had snow, I prob could have gone in Nov. I remember being concerned that I wouldn't have core strength and fearing I would tire easily. I knew pretty fast that there was nothing to worry about.

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
Wow, Playoutside, that's quite the surgery you had! Mine was laproscopic with just 3 little incisions; nothing like you had. I am restricted from exercising for 4 weeks and that is driving me crazy but I'm doing my best to respect it. I do take short walks and do easy yoga stretches and poses so my legs don't go to mush. Some days I have good energy, other days I'm tired and then I nap! Since I'm on a sabbatical this year, I don't have the pressure to return to work on a specific date, so I can take my time recovering and then take my time getting back into shape.

playoutside

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Wow, Playoutside, that's quite the surgery you had! Mine was laproscopic with just 3 little incisions; nothing like you had. I am restricted from exercising for 4 weeks and that is driving me crazy but I'm doing my best to respect it. I do take short walks and do easy yoga stretches and poses so my legs don't go to mush. Some days I have good energy, other days I'm tired and then I nap! Since I'm on a sabbatical this year, I don't have the pressure to return to work on a specific date, so I can take my time recovering and then take my time getting back into shape.

Great that they were able to do laproscopic. Hopefully that makes for an easier recovery for you. I'm jealous of your sabbatical. Hopefully you have a speedy recovery so you can really enjoy your break from working!

Christy

Angel Diva
Lol, yup. I just walked over to a toy store near work at lunch and bought a 2000 piece jigsaw puzzle to help keep me occupied. I have a stack of library books and my Netflix queue is loaded. I've made sure I've been BUSY this whole month with social things, hikes, two weekends away, etc, so I won't mind (hopefully) being kind of a shut in. Last Pilates for a month tonight, happy hour with coworkers tomorrow, Mariners game Wednesday night. Going to stock up on frozen meals at Trader Joes tonight after Pilates. Ha, can you tell I'm a planner?

Christy, don't underestimate your need for sleep post-surgery. Just the anethesia alone will make you sleepy. And Netflix sounds perfect. Good luck!

Christy

Angel Diva
Yeah, I realize I may not have the motivation for anything besides repeated episodes of House Hunters.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna