• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

How often do you buy new boots?

ScottishGirlie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
125 days - eeck! At that rate I would need a couple of pairs a year!

SkiBam, I sympathise. I also have really small feet so that is maybe why I keep mine so long as it is torture to find new ones that are small enough and stiff enough!

Jenn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
ScottishGirlie:125 days - eeck! At that rate I would need a couple of pairs a year!

Holy cow!! Where do you ski?!!! Does Scotland have that kind of snow every year?!!

ScottishGirlie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
ScottishGirlie:125 days - eeck! At that rate I would need a couple of pairs a year!

Holy cow!! Where do you ski?!!! Does Scotland have that kind of snow every year?!!

I work all year round as we have artificial slopes in the UK. Plus we have the mountains! At this time of year I practically live in ski boots from 10am until nearly 8pm when I'm at work.

But with regards to the snow side of things, Scotland had consistently skiable snow last season from November until May, with another few weekends tagged on at the end. Looks like this season could be a wonderful one again.

Going back to the boot front, I've often wondered if my boot shelf life is reduced by using them in the summer heat. Can't be good for them. Can't be good for my feet either!! :eek:

marzNC

Angel Diva
bump . . . from 2011. Seemed timely given that Serafina just found out her liners were shot and that a full boot replacement was the best solution.

Serafina

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yup, and it happened right around 125 ski days, just like the guy told me ages back (as I see from this thread).

One reason I'm jazzed about RachelV's "slopesquad" is that now I can keep track of how many days I've got on my boots - and hopefully, next pair, I won't wait until my performance from a packed-out boot is so degraded that it's turning me into a lousy skier...I'll just know to start paying close attention around Day 110. :smile:

abc

Banned
So, those of you who teach, does your pay enough to pay to the wear and tear on the gear? Skis and boots?

Just curious mostly. I vaguely recall an instructor told me he got a free pair of ski from his ski school but it'd be trashed by the end of the season (he's a professional instructor, out practically everyday). So between liners packing out and skis being trashed, how much more often do you have to buy new skis and boots due to the number of days you're teaching vs. actually free skiing?

Jilly

Staff member
Hourly rate, no....but we get "pro deals" on equipment through the organizations. Some shops give pro deals to instructors. Also major resorts have a "kickback" plan. If you buy something from the shop were your ski instructor has an account, he/she gets a % back into the account. They will give you their card. I know that Tremblant has it and so does Whistler.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Just a quick addition to this - with mentioning that for those who have either a customized or endearing shell, liner replacement IS an option. And most toe/heel plates are replaceable. Have seen many unwilling to give up their meticulously blown-out etc shells and opt for liners. (guilty as charged)

lynseyf

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yup, and it happened right around 125 ski days, just like the guy told me ages back (as I see from this thread).

One reason I'm jazzed about RachelV's "slopesquad" is that now I can keep track of how many days I've got on my boots - and hopefully, next pair, I won't wait until my performance from a packed-out boot is so degraded that it's turning me into a lousy skier...I'll just know to start paying close attention around Day 110. :smile:

Can i ask why a new boot was the best solution? New foam liners should be loads cheaper than a new boot and you are upgrading the boot at the same time.

Serafina

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
After he'd taken a good look at my boots and pulled the liners I asked about replacing the liners, and he said he wouldn't advise it. Guy is a nationally-recognized bootfitter, sold me my previous boots, so I was inclined to take his word on it. Wound up with a somewhat stiffer boot, so it could have been that the old shell wasn't stiff enough, could be that he didn't have any replacement liners that he felt comfortable selling, could be that something else on the boot was wearing out.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
@Serafina, what is happening, have you started your replacement quest yet?

125 days? On liners, totally can see that, I seldom get that. But on shells? Wow. I know a lot of people who are well beyond 125!! Different strokes, I guess??

Serafina

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have new boots - Lange Delights. The liners were definitely shot. This is a bootfitter I've seen at least once a season (buying, checking in, etc.) who knows what kind of ski I ride and how I ride it, and - among other things - he thinks the new boot is more consistent with my current level of ability, being a step-up from the old boot. Maybe if I had been skiing at a consistent level the last five years or so his advice might have been different, but the guy is aware that I've been on a major improvement trajectory.

I learned something the Hard Way yesterday, though. New boots fit properly. Meaning "snug", right?

I had a holiday dinner on Wednesday night and made my very favorite maple-brined turkey breast. Dinner was supposed to be Tuesday but we had a snowstorm, and the guests couldn't make it, so the turkey brined an extra day. Making it just this side of salty, and making me thirsty as all get-out, and causing me to drink a ton of water. On Thursday, Mr. Serafina cropped up at 11:30 am and said "Hey! Let's go skiing!" so we drove up to get on the slopes by 1pm.

Only. It being the afternoon, and my having drunk gallons of water, and me being middle-aged and all, my feet and ankles were puffed up. My feet had massive pins-and-needles before I reached the summit, and by the time I was halfway down the mountain, one of my feet was completely numb. I mean, try to get the skis on edge when you can't feel anything below the crew-sock line. Doesn't happen. And flat light, on top of it. I tried sitting down and unlatching the boots for a while, but no joy - my feet were a size larger than usual, and ain't nothing other than time and mother nature going to take care of that problem.

Was the first time I've been forced off the mountain by Gear Problems, and all that freaking fresh packed powder. I was...:mad2:

Note To Self: either stay the heck away from salty food, or ski in the morning. Oh, wait, I already knew to ski in the morning!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga