• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

HOW many miles?!

BatGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I got talked in to this: FANY

Has anyone done this event before?

Is it twisted to think that 70 miles/day isn't so bad? Esp. since I'm more than likely to average more than 10 mph, which means less than a full day of riding every day.

It does sound like fun overall. Upstate NY in the summer shouldn't be TOO bad (famous last words, right? :smile: ). There're lots of wineries in the region to check out. I did, however, draw the line at camping out at night. My sore rear end is NOT going to be sleeping on the hard ground after a long day of cycling.

Of course, I've got the St. Paul Inline Marathon exactly one month after FANY. At least I'll be in shape conditioning-wise. I'll just have to remind myself how to skate! :eek:

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Watch out for the black flies, depending on where/when you ride it can be rather miserable in upstate NY that time of year.

Other than that, 70miles/day sounds great. Me and The Boy were talking about doing a cycling tour by ourselves and he wanted to do 100+ but I am trying to talk him down to 80, I think that still makes it an enjoyable day.

Have fun and take pics!!

K.

BatGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It's in mid-July. We start in Niagara Falls and make our way down to Saratoga Springs.

Thanks for the warning about the black flies. Hopefully we'll be moving fast enough, they won't be able to catch us! Does Skin-so-Soft keep them away? Although we'll probably sweat it off in no time at all. I'll have to look in to this.

Yeah, 100/day sounds like a bit much to me, too. You want enough miles to make it a challenge, but still fun at the same time.

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It's in mid-July. We start in Niagara Falls and make our way down to Saratoga Springs.

Thanks for the warning about the black flies. Hopefully we'll be moving fast enough, they won't be able to catch us! Does Skin-so-Soft keep them away? Although we'll probably sweat it off in no time at all. I'll have to look in to this.

Yeah, 100/day sounds like a bit much to me, too. You want enough miles to make it a challenge, but still fun at the same time.

Sounds like a great ride. Next year you'll be ready to join me on this ride. https://www.ridetherockies.com/

Our first day is 100 miles from Frisco to Steamboat, up and over Rabbit Ears Pass.

Kathi

BatGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That sounds like an amazing ride. The scenery must be gorgeous! Not sure that I'm up for 100 miles of riding, though, esp. with 6 more days of riding to follow. There is something to be said for getting the hard work out of the way immediately, however!

abc

Banned
You got time to train. July is still a good 2 months away. ;)

If you got a properly fitted road bike in good working order, 70 miles actually fly by pretty fast.

Oh yes, good cycling shortswith nice paddings. Don't leave home without them! ;)

skigirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
NY

I don't bike ride but I live in the middle of NY and know a lot of your route. It will be a very beautiful ride. The first half is not bad, mostly flat. Waterloo to Ithaca is all down hill, from Ithaca on you get into the hills in the state. If you can find out what roads the ride takes from Ithaca on, I can tell you better what kind of hills you are in for. I was looking at the website but could not figure out how they go from Ithaca to Cooperstown.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ro, you're going to have a ton of fun.

As for the black flies. Take Vitamin B and Garlic capsules prior to the event, and during the event. The odor of your sweat will keep them away.

This really works, but it also keeps the boys away:D

BatGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
abc, I've got a very sweet Schwinn Paramount that I love as my road bike. The seat's a WTB Pure that's very comfortable. And I'm slowly stocking up on the shorts. In fact, there's a swap this weekend that I need to go check out for more... :smile:

skigirl, thanks for the preview of the course. Knowing that it's mostly flat at the start is good. Gives me time to warm up for the hills later in the week. I'm originally from Long Island, so this is new territory for me. Should be fun seeing a different part of the state.

Tricia, the tip on the Vitamin B and garlic is much appreciated. As one of those women who truely sweat, the garlic will only add to my natural post-workout aroma. :D

BatGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hey, skigirl, does it usually get really humid in that part of NYS during summer, or is it not too bad?

Thanks.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna