• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

How many Divas are Ski Patrol? NSP?

Brenda T.

Certified Ski Diva
Hello Divas,
As a new member here, I've really enjoyed talking to everyone and I am learning so much by reading over old posts. There is so much to read, I feel like a kid in a candy store!! I also can not get over how kind everyone has been to me. I've been all smiles for days thinking about all of you.

I've seen that there are a few Ski Patrollers on the page and thought it would be nice to find out about all of your and your areas. Are all of you in the US and part of the NSP? Are any of you from patrols outside the US? How are things different in your area compared to others? Are you paid or volunteer? What drew you to it? For volunteer patrols, are any of your patrols facing shortages as the volunteer well is drying up? How are you coping?

I'm 40 years old, have been a member of my patrol for 10 years and worked at my resort more years than not since I got my first job there when I was 16. I have been a shift lead for 3 year now and am now covering 3 shifts a week (all on the weekend). We are a small hill located in the Ohio Region of the Central Division and have a paid patrol for during the day and use volunteers for evenings and weekends. We are an upside down resort, so we use snowmobile a lot for transports. Due to my other life responsibilities, even after 10 years I have not yet taken my alpine patroller test, but it is not as critical at our resort due to being upside down, we rarely if ever have to ski someone down in a toboggan. (anyone wondering why I'm not naming my resort, please take a look at my profile.)

I look forward to hearing back from all of you. Retired Patrol and Patrol family, I would also love to hear your stories.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
I am an NSP angel, does that count? DH is on season 24 as a volunteer at our local hill, Mount Spokane. I have done tons of related volunteering for our patrol over the years.

freckles

Certified Ski Diva
Me! I'm a Basic Patroller at Alpine Valley (East) in White Lake, MI. I just passed my toboggan test last winter. We are all volunteer and pull two shifts a week. I'm Tuesday and Thursday nights (I love night skiing) from 6-10 pm. It's a smaller hill with lots of beginners and high school ski teams/boarder cross teams. I became interested in patrolling when my kids went to college, (I'm 52 now) and I picked this hill because this is where they trained when they were in High School. Also, at one time or another, all of our family has been helped out by patrol. I figured it was time for me to give back.

Brenda T.

Certified Ski Diva
I am an NSP angel, does that count? DH is on season 24 as a volunteer at our local hill, Mount Spokane. I have done tons of related volunteering for our patrol over the years.

That absolutely counts. You are as much a part of the ski patrol as he is. You just don't get the accolades for it. My kids and my partner are used and abused during OEC and refreshers and sometimes just to clean the patrol room.

We are a family and that family doesn't end with the one wearing that white cross but includes everyone who comes together to keep our patrols running.

Thank you for what you do. I hope hubby knows how lucky he is. :clap::ski3:

Brenda T.

Certified Ski Diva
Me! I'm a Basic Patroller at Alpine Valley (East) in White Lake, MI. I just passed my toboggan test last winter. We are all volunteer and pull two shifts a week. I'm Tuesday and Thursday nights (I love night skiing) from 6-10 pm. It's a smaller hill with lots of beginners and high school ski teams/boarder cross teams. I became interested in patrolling when my kids went to college, (I'm 52 now) and I picked this hill because this is where they trained when they were in High School. Also, at one time or another, all of our family has been helped out by patrol. I figured it was time for me to give back.

That is awesome!!
Welcome to the exciting world of the NSP!! (I know you've been here a while but...)
I'm going to have to try to come check out your hill.
How are your volunteer numbers doing?
We've been seeing a decline over the past few years and only 1 in 4or5 out of each OEC class stays more than 3 to 5 years and each class is a little smaller than the last. Plus our old timers are hitting there 30 and 40(+) years and are ready to hang up the Red jacket. That's part of why I'm now leading 3 shifts a week.

freckles

Certified Ski Diva
That is awesome!!
Welcome to the exciting world of the NSP!! (I know you've been here a while but...)
I'm going to have to try to come check out your hill.
How are your volunteer numbers doing?
We've been seeing a decline over the past few years and only 1 in 4or5 out of each OEC class stays more than 3 to 5 years and each class is a little smaller than the last. Plus our old timers are hitting there 30 and 40(+) years and are ready to hang up the Red jacket. That's part of why I'm now leading 3 shifts a week.

We are starting to see a decline in numbers as well, but we softly recruit every chance we get (ski swaps, the HS coaches, etc.). Our OEC classes start out with 9 or 10 people and only 4 or 5 make it to the end. It's too time consuming, it's harder than they thought, etc.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna