• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

How long have you been skiing?

Thatsagirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I started skiing when I was 4. We moved to a ski area/resort in northern Michigan shortly thereafter and my Mom became a ski instructor. She developed an all-day kids program long before SkiWee existed (sure wish she'd patented the idea!:o ). Every day after school, the bus dropped us off at the mountain and we skied till the end of the day. We also skied every weekend day. My brothers got into racing very seriously, but I never did (ask any of the Divas who have skied with me and they will confirm that speed is NOT my priority). We moved to Massachusetts when I was 12 and that's when we graduated to "real mountains." My entire extended family used to ski together until all of us kids got out of college, which made a lot of happy childhood memories. :smile:

Interestingly enough, even though it wasn't planned, after I got my masters in journalism I ended up in the ski industry as an editor at a ski magazine. I have been a ski writer ever since (12 years). I also am married to a volunteer patroller at Jay Peak. Put those two together and it means I get to ski quite often.

I'm 42 now, so I've been skiing for 38 years and I imagine I have many more years to go! :D

Thatsagirl

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Bumping this for my benefit. :D

I'm the only skier in my family. When I was 7, I begged my parents to take me to the local hill. Hill is an exaggeration: I just looked at the current trail map. The bunny hill that I learned on is now a snow tube run!

This will be my 25th year skiing, but I took about 5 years off to deal with 2 knee surgeries, rehab, and the associated fear of getting back onto the slope. Well, really, it was a few years to get back onto the slope after the first knee blowout, which happened while skiing. If I hadn't gone to college in NH, I probably wouldn't have gotten back into skiing.

treebunny

Certified Ski Diva
i started when i was eight. my folks didn't take us a lot because the gear in those days was so difficult to get a kid into let alone your own self. bear trap bindings and lace up boots! and nothing was waterproof. rode the ski bus from school through my highschool years. better gear, still soaking wet and cold. only skied off and on through the college years. too broke and too little time. got serious when my boy was 3. started the family ski trips, skied alot in canada. been going nuts the last ten since we got an rv. every weekend barring lowsy conditions we are up at the local hill. have gotten 30 days in this year so far. we take a couple of ski-rv trips every year also. its great! you go with the snow! no long term planning necessary. any way i'll be 50 in march. you do the math--its too scary for me!

love2ski

Diva in Training
I've been skiing for 15 years and will continue to do so until I can't bend over to clip my boots :smile:

Hubby and I were talking about this on the lift the other day and realized how thankful we are that we started skiing young. I honestly don't think I could pick up skiing at this point in my life. The newbies look so uncomfortable and in-pain I don't think that I'd be very attracted to the sport.

I missed this thread, too, but it's really fun to read about everybody's experiences.

My first time skiing was when I was 2 years old. (I still have those tiny leather boots!). It was at Lake Eldora at night and I believe I thought I would die!!! I remember it. Imagine that!

Serious lessons began when I was 3 in Vail and Steamboat Springs (poma lifts, t-bars, and side-stepping groomers on the hill!).

Missed 2 years after my head injury and got back on the mountain last March! WOO HOO!!

I'll never stop! I just love it! :D

num

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm the noob of the group, this is my first season.

I skied for the first time at the end of last season, fell in love with it instantly, bought some gear, skied again, and endured the looooong summer. Would that make last year count as my first ski season? Doesn't seem quite right to me to count it.

Growing up in Chicago, I didn't even realize there were ski hills a few hours away. While on a short road trip into Wisconsin, I passed a hill that is right off of the expressways, you can see the trails while driving down I90. I talked to a friend about it and it turned out his coworker is an instructor there. We went up for a day trip and the rest is history (or should I say the rest is in the paragraph above).

None of my friends or family ski, because of accessibility and the way that skiing is racially and socioeconomically stereotyped. The former I understand, but I'm trying to do something about the latter. I've been told, referring to me skiing "I didn't realize that's something we do" and that's a barrier I'm trying to break down within my family and friends, one by one. They will be addicted soon *insert evil laugh here*

Jilly

Staff member
Good for you, if you change the world for the better do it. Yesterday we had a group of 11 people show up at our little bump of a hill for a beginner ski lesson. They are all sub-contractors to Nortel her in town. Also they are all from India. So, snow and cold is something new. They wanted to go out and have fun and "not hurt ourselves". The ski school arranged them into groups and off we went. They had a great time. I think it was to say that they had tried skiing, something Canadian. (skating probably is next) I don't like racial profiling for anything. I believe that anyone regardless of race, mental or physical abilities should be able to try any sport. The one thing I love about skiing is that you don't have to be an expert to enjoy it. You don't have to be young to learn it and it stays as a sport as long as you let it!!

This is my third season, though I skied a bit in the '60s, 70's, and 80's. Never could "parallel" on my old 180s and was basically a snowplower :p , but I picked it up in the 05/06 season and I'm a fanatic now! I'm pushing for 25+ days this season -- just returned from a local hill with 2 of our kids and hubbie.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga