• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

How do you want to end the season?

How do you want the season to end?

• High note

Votes: 16 88.9%
  • Low note

Votes: 2 11.1%

• Total voters

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
What do you think -- is it better to end the season on a high note or low note? Is it better to have your last day be one of rain, bare spots, and limited terrain, or is it better to end it on a powder day and great conditions?

On the one hand, it's sad -- like a funeral -- but you know the season is done and you're not missing anything. On the other, you can go out in a cloud of joy, which can keep you psyched for the next year.

Jilly

Staff member
I'd really liked to have finished the season with a sunny day, spring conditions and a beer on the patio. This year - rain, clouds, but good snow. Its been over for almost 2 weeks. If the forecast for this last weekend of April were better, I might have been able to talk the Hubby into a road trip to Sutton or Jay. But April showers, bring May flowers, so its over!! Time to pack it all away and go for liquid snow - water sports!

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Definitely Low Note, so I don't feel like I'm missing anything :( .

abc

Banned
I like to end my season on a high note. But that's because I want every one of my skiing days a good one, including the last one!

What I like and what I get are not always the same. Some years it's rain and slush and I quit after a run, or quit without trying. Other years, it's sunshine and a thin windbreaker and lots of sun screen! :smile:

Then, there're the years I never actually ski as plan, like this one. I ended my season with my trip to Switzerland, which was a great day! I kept trying to get another day or so in, but I guess I lost my motivation because I figure anything here will be a disappointment, so I kept coming up with excuses NOT to go. So, effectively, I did end my season on a high note! ;)

cyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I ended mine on a high note with a great trip out west, but we were planning to hit Sunday River this weekend for one last ski and ended up not going because it was supposed to rain on Sunday.

My husband and I were still up for some outdoor exercise, so we hiked up Wachusett Mountain on the Old Indian trail - a decent cardio workout if you start in the ski mountain parking lot at the very bottom. It was pretty muddy and there was quite a bit of snow left on the ski trails, which provided plenty of excellent " rolling opps" for my dog.

This morning, with a long sigh, I put the ski boots and other gear to bed for the season.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
:bump:

Found this old thread and thought it'd be interesting to revive it.

So what do you think?

Jilly

Staff member
Wow, where did you find this??

Since I posted before, nothing changes. Except hopefully my last day will be May 10th!

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well, I said high note but I think that's subjective as well. Personally I want decent conditions but ones that indicate spring/summer are coming. Ending on a snow storm is hard because I feel like it shouldn't be ending yet and that makes me sad.

abc

Banned
strange to see my post 2 years ago, ending my season in Switzerland. Because that was such a "long time" ago, I thought I posted it this year... :confused:

So yes, this season also ended in Switzerland, sort of by accident. I had another trip plan for that time frame but the trip was cancelled due to lack of participants. So at last minute I wen to the more or less "standby" of Switzerland because I can ALWAYS get a cheap flight to Zurich. And not needing to rent a car (cheap) and able to get a single rate (cheaper) out of just about any hotel means the cost is pretty reasonable. The trip was fantastic and the last day was pretty nice. (the next to last day was even better so I can't top that)

Although I thought (very briefly) of more days when I come back, it's just not particularly appealing after such a nice trip. The rain in NE didn't help with my motivation either.

So yeah, I ended my season on a hgh note.

Kiragirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'd like to end on a high note, but not sure if I can, the conditions are so weird right now (at least last week), being very chilly overnight, then icy --> mush during the day. It's not exactly typical spring because it's so cold in the morning. anyway...I tried to end on a "high" note last weekend and ended up looking like a jerk, doh. Nothing hurt, just real bad form. So I may have to settle for a low note, but on that note...I'm now looking forward to summer because my family is going to Key Largo in June! yay! Something to look forward to!

And---whoever wants to check out the indoor ski slope at the Giants Stadium complex in NJ, just let me know. (I'll post later on about that, too.) Another thing to look forward to!

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
And---whoever wants to check out the indoor ski slope at the Giants Stadium complex in NJ, just let me know. (I'll post later on about that, too.) Another thing to look forward to!

So, not to totally hijack this thread, but is that place still opening? Last I heard, it may or may not open in August 2009.

Here's an article from February this year:
https://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/22/nyregion/22towns.html
"YEARS ago, the talk was of an opening in late 2007. Plans to open last November were pushed back to this August. Now officials are wavering on that."

At any rate, I'm totally going to be there when/if it opens. I'm looking forward to the looks I'm going to get when I take my skis on the bus in the summer. :smile:

SkiBam

Angel Diva
I'd like to end with at least one day of real spring skiing - something I haven't really had yet. Had one warm, springlike day in February, but most of March was pretty cold, then out west it was back to winter, then still quite cold once I was home in early April. (Plus I've been nursing this stupid sore shoulder.) Anyway, a friend and I have decided to ski today at the only place left open in the Laurentians, Mont Saint-Sauveur. Not the most exciting place to ski and I think there's just one lift running. But, hey, it's 10 minutes from my house and I have a free ticket. Temps went below freezing overnight, so snow should be okay.

Now I've got to go figure out what to wear for warm weather! (One thing I'll have on for sure, no matter how warm it gets, is my helmet.)

abc

Banned
Now I've got to go figure out what to wear for warm weather!
You mean what NOT to wear? :smile:

(One thing I'll have on for sure, no matter how warm it gets, is my helmet.)
(I do ski without helmet when it's REALLY warm. Though it's relatively rare I ski when it's THAT warm. Only happen for 2 days this year. Never happen the previous year)

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I feel as thought I ended my season on a very high note.......I'll admit that I wish I were going to Abasin for Mothers Day weekend, as I have for the past few years, but I don't regret spending Mothers day with my aging grandma and my mom this year.

So, if my last run of the season was my last run of the season........I'm an extremely happy Diva!

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Powder and good conditions! Colorado is getting hit with a major spring storm. :yahoo:

A-Basin reported 15" this morning, Copper 7". We went to Copper so we could see but at times visibility was pretty poor, especially off the Sierra lift. It snowed all day and is still snowing.

This morning only vehicles with 4 wheel drive, snow tires or chains were being allowed on on I-70 on Floyd Hill outside of Denver. The 5 pm news reported I-70 was closed from Vail into Denver (80 miles). Shelters were being opened in Silverthorne. Not sure of the situation as I write this.

Copper is open for 2 more days, what a way to end the season!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga