• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

How do you keep your phone safe and charged while skiing?

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I keep seeing myriad cases and covers that supposedly keep your phone warm while skiing. Yesterday I spied a cute little "down jacket" for phones. My first thought was that phones don't give off heat, so how does that even work?

I have a big, heavy power bank that I can use to re-charge, but it's too bulky to carry with me, so I leave it in the lodge with my shoes. I don't tend to take long lodge-breaks, so I tend to end up with a dead phone partway through most ski days.

What's the best way to keep the phone from losing charge while playing outdoors in the winter?

Jilly

Staff member
I keep mine in the "cargo" pocket inside my jacket. I'm not into vertical or how many runs stats, so it's on for phone or text. Problem is I don't hear it if someone texts me. But then I won't pull it out when I'm on the lift, as I know I'll drop it. Also I can't see the screen without my readers, so if I do get a text...you'll have to wait till 1. I'm on solid ground, and 2. I find my glasses!!

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am going to assume that your phone doesn't stay charged from a night on a charger ? That might be a phone battery issue. I charge all my batteries every night if skiing the next day, which I am sure you do as well. I have Hotronics, Chaval gloves, I-Pod . Phone is usually too big to fit into pockets, but if I happen to be wearing jacket or pants with decent sized pockets and secure closures I may take a phone. But I rarely do as I won't answer it, can't see much due to glare, and will not text while skiing. And I NEVER take it out if I am riding the chairlift.

BackCountryGirl

Angel Diva
I keep mine in a pocket with a hardwarmer on super cold days. I also be sure to turn off wifi so it doesn't search for a network when I get close to the lodge.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I am going to assume that your phone doesn't stay charged from a night on a charger ? That might be a phone battery issue. I charge all my batteries every night if skiing the next day, which I am sure you do as well. I have Hotronics, Chaval gloves, I-Pod . Phone is usually too big to fit into pockets, but if I happen to be wearing jacket or pants with decent sized pockets and secure closures I may take a phone. But I rarely do as I won't answer it, can't see much due to glare, and will not text while skiing. And I NEVER take it out if I am riding the chairlift.

I was going to say the same thing about the battery, I can tell when it’s time for a new phone (or battery) when mine can’t last through a ski day. Newer phone batteries don’t die during a ski day. I don’t do anything special for it, and ski on all of the coldest days in ME. When I had an older phone with this issue I did carry a small charger and cable in my pocket. If you get hurt and your phone is dead, the charger in the lodge does nothing to call for help.. I always carry a phone for this reason. Maybe I’ll need help or maybe I’ll need to call for help for someone else.

I have an iphone 13 Pro Max and had the X Max before this. So definitely large phones. All of my ski shells and jackets have a pocket that fits my phone. Usually outside or inside chest pockets.

Last edited:

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Agree re the battery. How old is your phone @SallyCat ?
BTW, I bought an iPhone 12 mini about 5 months ago so it would fit inside interior pockets in jackets/shells.

Christy

Angel Diva
Add me to the "your phone battery shouldn't drain that fast" chorus. If you have an older phone that's limping along, and you can't easily replace the battery (many androids you can, and cheaply), I'd just keep it on airplane mode while you ski, so you can still use it in case you need to call ski patrol.

MrsPlow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Mine lives in my backpack, in a padded pocket. I figure if I fall hard enough to break it in there, the phone is going to be the least of my problems - and if it breaks in a coat pocket then it might damage me. I often wear a beacon in case we do any side-country laps or if we've had a lot of snow, so that also means it has to go in the backpack.

I bought a new phone in the summer so not sure how this one will go in the cold as it doesn't have brilliant battery life, but my last phone struggled to last 24 hours too. The pattern for that one was to turn as much off as possible. Skiing in resort - data off, wifi off, bluetooth on for headphones, all apps off except music. If I'm out of bounds, then in flight mode, everything off. I've been wondering about getting an old school 'dumb' phone for skiing, one that can last for weeks on 1 charge, just for emergencies.

newboots

Angel Diva
Turn it off while you're skiing, and just turn it on to check messages or take a fabulous picture.

SarahXC

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
When my last phone battery was old and dying during the ski day I started putting it in an inside pocket in my down layer and it improved life dramatically. I got a new phone and handed the old one down to my daughter. It was just about $30 to get a new battery put in for her (older iPhone SE).

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
I put mine in a zipper pocket in my midlayer. i don’t pull it out while I am skiing. I can send and receive messages with my watch in a pinch. Phone stays warm, it’s not near my chest if I fall, and I won’t lose it.

fgor

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hm, wish it was the case that all newer phone batteries should last through a ski day. My phone has never lasted through a cold ski day, even when it was brand new. It does ok when the temps are mild but it dies crazy fast in the cold. It wasn't a cheap phone either.

I just bring a power bank. Normally I leave it in my backpack outside the day lodge, and charge it when I'm eating lunch, sometimes I'll bring the power bank with me. I have one which is only 5000mah so it's not too big.

I'm sure my phone would last all day quite easily if it stayed inside my pocket forever, but I take it out a lot so when it's cold and windy... RIP!

SkiGAP

Angel Diva
For those who have written any version of: "My phone has never lasted through a cold ski day, even when it was brand new. It does ok when the temps are mild but it dies crazy fast in the cold"

I say, Ski Andorra!!!! Or rather: another reason not to ski in crazy cold temps if you have that option :-)))

Skiing in Vermont / NH was a big challenge for me on that front. Hats off to those of you who are comfortable having that level of cold on a regular basis!

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I bring my power bank just in case. I take my phone out a lot to take photos and video, so it gets cold and the battery drains more quickly. Usually it lasts long enough to put back on the car charger in the afternoon on the way home.

elemmac

Angel Diva
I keep mine in a pocket with a hardwarmer on super cold days. I also be sure to turn off wifi so it doesn't search for a network when I get close to the lodge.
This is what I do…I buy jumbo packs of toe warmers for the season for really cold days. I like that the toe warmer can stick to the back of my phone and keep it warm enough to keep a charge. Most days it’s fine in my chest pocket without any life support.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I've been using a Therma-Phone case for years, and I have to say it's done a pretty good job. It acts like a thermos to keep your phone warm. (And it's made in Vermont.)

Screen Shot 2021-11-14 at 11.52.28 AM.png

To keep from dropping it on the lift -- which I'm in dire fear of doing -- I use the Koala Super Grip Phone Harness. It fits around your phone and clips onto your jacket, so you can use it worry-free. I clip it to my inside goggle pocket where I keep my phone.

Screen Shot 2021-11-14 at 11.56.41 AM.png

Last edited:

bsskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I also have a Therma-Phone case, but have really enjoyed the Gear Beast Cell Phone Lanyard with the card pocket. I had the lanyard style with the adjustable ring, but gave it to a friend on the spot last season because she was at risk of losing her phone. My core temp keeps the phone toasty when I tuck it between layers.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Turn it off while you're skiing, and just turn it on to check messages or take a fabulous picture.
One reason I prefer to have a separate compact digital camera is so that I can keep my phone in a pocket. Plus I often like to take pictures from the lift, instead of having to take the time on the slopes. Had a friend drop a phone off a lift at Alta because he hadn't closed a pocket enough. Never found it. Always makes me nervous to have a phone out on a lift.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna