• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

how do you carry your skis?

alr

Certified Ski Diva
Thanks for all the suggestions! I definitely do the vertical thing while in tight quarters, but for those longer distances I had not found a comfortable position. I think if I get a strap and then practice the front end angled down with toe piece behind shoulder, that may work best for me. I love my nordica conquers, but I swear they weigh a ton!

altagirl

Staff member
Regarding the "scissoring" and velcro straps: While you should be able to get those free (or close to it) at just about any shop... I think that's one of the reasons it works better when you have the tips pointing forward and the bindings fully behind your shoulder. That way the brakes are holding the rear of the skis together and your hand hanging over the tips keeps the front together and they stay put.

I'm one of those people who already has way too much crap in my pockets, so even with my tele skis (no brakes to interlock), I just readjust the skis if they scissor rather than carrying a strap around in my pocket all day.

And I agree that once you find that balance point - having them on your shoulder feels WAY lighter than any method of carrying them otherwise. Kind of like a backpack vs. carrying bags of groceries - done right, your skeleton is spreading out the weight vs. making your arms do all the work and the weight is closer to being centered on your body than hanging off on one side.

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
Alr, I have Nordica Conquers and they ARE heavy. I think that's part of the reason why they ski so well through powder and crud. :smile:

I have a ski carrier strap that I bought several years ago and don't seem to use anymore. If you would like it PM me your address and I will mail it to you.

C

CMCM

I buy these...2 in a pack. Easy/quick to put on, you can carry in your pocket or a small backpack. They really make carrying skis easy because they stop the slipping around. I seem to carry my skis "backwards" from what I see others doing, but I put them on my shoulder with the center area of the binding right over my shoulder, and for me the weighting is easier when the ski tips are in front of me (DH carries his just the opposite). Sometimes if I'm walking a short distance I'll just put the skis together, leave them standing vertically, and then grasp them under the bottom of the binding (making sure you are doing this under the ski that is on the bottom so nothing slides up). Then just lift slightly off the ground and walk. But this isn't great for long distances...

Here's the strap I like.

https://www.faststrap.com/skistraps.htm

Ski-dreamer_Diva

<span style="color:#F89F07";">Angel Diva</span><br
Thanks for all the suggestions! I definitely do the vertical thing while in tight quarters, but for those longer distances I had not found a comfortable position. I think if I get a strap and then practice the front end angled down with toe piece behind shoulder, that may work best for me. I love my nordica conquers, but I swear they weigh a ton!

I too love my nordica conquers but find them heavy and haven't quite mastered the over shoulder carry. I have a bad left shoulder which seems the logical side to me and if I have them on the right I seem to loose balance more easily. As a result I tend to carry "like little kids do" cross way in front of me when there is plenty of room. I'm building upper body strength at the moment hoping this will help for our winter season.

mich-belle

Certified Ski Diva
There is no easy way, what ever feels best. Just dont keep looking around with them on your shoulder wiping everybody out. But it was pretty funny when i saw it in a movie once.

DeeSki

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I carry my skis ...

like a complete gaper! It doesn't seem to matter what I do. I put them on my shoulder, they scissor or one slips down. My hands are too small to just hold them upright and I've no grip at all in mittens. If I manage to keep the skis in place, I drop my poles! As soon as I get to the snow, I step right into them, usually after letting them clatter down to the ground.:redface: I generally look like it's my first day skiing. Lots of great tips here, so maybe I'll improve. The upside is that I'm great at any kind of skating, side stepping or herring bone moves to get myself up hill on skis because anything is easier than carrying the damn things.

mollmeister

Angel Diva
I am all about the little velcro straps. I use them for transporting my skis, so they don't scissor in the car-top carrier, and so the padding protects the bases/edges. Makes them easier to carry on my shoulder into the resort, too, when I am trying to juggle kid skis as well. Anything longer than the from-the-car walk (as in in-resort hiking), I strap them to a small pack with straps for carrying.

I always wanted one of these to shove in a pocket for short hikes, but they stopped making them, so far as I can tell.
https://www.trailspace.com/gear/indigo/g-string/

I carry my skis (mostly) on my right shoulder, tips forward. As in this picture below, when I forgot to bring the ski-compatible pack for hiking Highland Bowl in Aspen. That's a long way to go with a shoulder carry. I was so :mad2: when I realized I had gotten down to Aspen sans pack with ski straps. And without some slings I can use to jury-rig the daypack in the picture. Ah, well.
DSC01575.jpg

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Left shoulder, tips foward. I think it's so much easier this way, weird to hear that people have trouble. As altagirl says, find the balance point and it's simple.

mollmeister

Angel Diva
Left shoulder, tips foward. I think it's so much easier this way, weird to hear that people have trouble. As altagirl says, find the balance point and it's simple.

Yeah, small as I am, and as much stuff as I have to juggle (kids!), I think it's OK. That said, a lot of people don't pay attn to their brakes-- making sure you have the side in front that will keep the whole shebang from sliding makes a big difference!

I saw a whole bunch o' Texas suitcases at Copper last weekend, and several people get rammed in the knees.
:fear:

marzNC

Angel Diva
:bump: for 2024

This is one of the threads I found very useful when I started skiing enough to make planning an annual ski trip out west without children worthwhile. Diva West in north Tahoe in 2010 included multiple destination resorts that required a long walk from even the closest parking space.

I buy these...2 in a pack. Easy/quick to put on, you can carry in your pocket or a small backpack. They really make carrying skis easy because they stop the slipping around. I seem to carry my skis "backwards" from what I see others doing, but I put them on my shoulder with the center area of the binding right over my shoulder, and for me the weighting is easier when the ski tips are in front of me (DH carries his just the opposite). Sometimes if I'm walking a short distance I'll just put the skis together, leave them standing vertically, and then grasp them under the bottom of the binding (making sure you are doing this under the ski that is on the bottom so nothing slides up). Then just lift slightly off the ground and walk. But this isn't great for long distances...

Here's the strap I like.

https://www.faststrap.com/skistraps.htm

I got a pair of these in 2014 at the former Boston Ski Expo (preceded Snowbound) for my daughter's tele skis. Much easier to carry those when there are two straps, at tip and tail. This season she was able to join me and friends at our home mountain (Massanutten in northern VA) for two weekends for the first time in years.

I'd forgotten how the Fast Straps differed from standard velcro straps. They are slightly stretchy, so once in place they stay better. Being petite, the better my skis stay together, the easier they are to move around. I'm a lot better at carrying skis than 15 years ago but still always on the lookout for helpful tips.

Didn't notice before today that the FastStraps company is based near Boston. That explains why they were part of the Boston Ski Expo in the past.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I was surprised that they weren't at the recent ski show, and started to wonder if they were out of business or something. They seemed to do brisk sales when they were there. I didn't buy any straps at the show, but later on contacted them and asked about picking some up from their warehouse/ factory when I was in the area and they said sure. I got the carry strap package, but ultimately decided I didn't like the way the elasticity of the carrying strap let the skis bounce around when I walked. I do still use the ski straps though.

Verve

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Can't believe the people in the gondola line at Tremblant. And if they hit me, I just take the skis or poles and place them as they should be. I just go into instructor mode!! In tight situations the skis go vertical and are carried by the toe piece. Poles vertical and tips close to the ground in the other hand.
Just went to Tremblant and couldn’t agree more with this approach. Absolute chaos at that base area. My partner & I were joking that Tremblant needs a “how to carry your skis” PSA the way Alta has a “how to traverse” guideline. Someone help these poor, confused people.

Corina Raben

Diva in Training
I ski most with my favorite skis that are almost 10 years old, and they have always been heavy for the brakes on the bindings. This causes them to separate so often when walking... I couldn't carry them vertically by the bindings without them separating within 30 seconds of walking. This season, I've seen a video online of a new strap that ties them together with a flexible rubbery strap that also works good when the skis are wet. The best thing is that they also clip in your skipoles so you can transport and carry them without having to carry your poles :-) I thought it was nice to also share it here since I really like it. The thing is called clipstic / clipstic the original

JayZeeSquared

Certified Ski Diva
I carry mine with the middle of the binding heel forward, toe back, on my shoulder. I've tried Mitch09's way and there just seems to be too much ski behind me. Also make sure your brakes are locked together. Most ski shops give away the straps either when you buy the skis or get serviced.
i'm glad i'm not the only who thinks this! i always see skiers with the tips in front, but i always struggle with that amount of ski behind me. i carry mine the same as you

if it's been a long day and i'm tired with a long walk back to the car, i'm schlepping my skis around with them horizontally across my arms. i have santa ana 88s and they can get heavy for me lol

Trailside Trixie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've tried carrying mine over the shoulder and this doesn't work for me personally. I put them through one arm and put my hand in my pocket and carry them that way. I'm lucky in that I don't have to do this often as I keep places in 2 of the places I mostly ski.

Sheena

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I don't know if it's because I am short, or something else. But I have always carried my skis over my shoulder tips up in the back. My husband likes to tell me I am doing it "wrong" and tries to get me to do it "right". But when they are positioned on my shoulder with the tips in front, I can't balance them.

In crowds or the gondola line, I hold them upright carrying them by the binding.

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I usually try the "right" way each time I walk through the lot to the slopes, but after thirty feet or so I give up because bony shoulders can't take the pressure. I then just carry them in my right hand perpendicular to my body, or I use the binding as a handhold and carry them upright.

Trailside Trixie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I usually try the "right" way each time I walk through the lot to the slopes, but after thirty feet or so I give up because bony shoulders can't take the pressure. I then just carry them in my right hand perpendicular to my body, or I use the binding as a handhold and carry them upright.

Same. I try carrying them over my shoulder but never last long. I'll also carry them using the binding as a handhold. Favorite way for longer walks is putting skiing through an arm sorta under my armpit elbow with a bent arm.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga