• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

How do you carry your skis?

Monkeygirl

Certified Ski Diva
My son is getting into skiing lines that you have to hike into. I'm too old to just hoist my skis up on my shoulders like I used to. I don't really want to ski with a full sized backpack all day if I don't have to. Is there a better way or product. I've visualized a lightweight strapping system that lets you carry your skis on your back but can't find anything like that.

Snowflower

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have heard of some people (on another forum) rigging up a strapping system with webbing. They basically have taken a length of webbing and either sewn or tied loops in both ends. You slide the tails of the skis into one loop where it slides up and holds the skis just below the bindings. Then webbing goes across your body diagonally and you attach the other loop to the tips of the skis just above the bindings. I've never seen it in action, but I would think you'd need to use some sort of buckle to attach the top loop as you'd have too much slack to just slide it over the tips. Not to mention you'd need abnormally long arms! It also doesn't sound very comfortable to me since the bindings would be right up against your back.

On days I know I'm going to be hiking, I wear a small ski pack. It's a Dakine Heli pack and is quite small and comfortable (not the Heli Pro which is larger). I really don't notice it at all when I'm skiing. It's designed for inbounds and slack country hiking so it really doesnt have room for much more than a snack and maybe a spare layer, but it works really well. It's set up for diagonal ski carry, which I find is fine for inbounds hiking.

altagirl

Staff member
I also have a Dakine Heli Pro pack that's pretty small and light. Though I've never actually used it for inbounds hiking, just for backcountry use. Inbounds I just do the shoulder thing, though it would make sense for longer hikes.

HotChocolate

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
https://www.faststrap.com/skicarriersets.htm

SkiStrapSet_Silho.jpg

HotChocolate

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Looks like this on, dunno but the bindings look like they might dig into your back.

SkiCarrierSets_Models.jpg

I use a backpack....pretty lightweight. CamelBack Muse
n1081968558_193864_2122.jpg

shnu

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
just googled a bit and found this system. but this seems more a system for carrying the skis from garage/house/cellar/car/hotel/whatever to the car.

( but even hre there is a more comfortable way to transport --> klick. sorry for the offtopic :smile: )

Monkeygirl

Certified Ski Diva
LOL I hadn't seen that rolly thingy- looks like that'd work for a really big hotel. Not so good over boot deep snow. It looks like the DaKine pack will be my best option. Better get that on my Christmas list fast. If I were more handy with a sewing machine I'd rig myself something with straps, but putting a hem in taxes my sewing skills.:noidea:

skigrl27

Ski Diva Extraordinaire<br>Legal & Environmental A
Osprey Switch 26 pack. Having hydration is KEY!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga