• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

How are you staying motivated to keep fit?

Kiragirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I hope this doesn't sound lame, but, my motivation is to keep up with the guys, be a stonger & better skiier, and...bum bum buuummm....the upcoming bathing suit season.

SkiNurse

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My motivation is pretty similar to Ski Dvia's. I have to stay in shape for skiing and that doesn't stop once the snow stops. I love to eat. And if I didn't stay in shape, I would look like an apple (thanks to the Germans on my dad's side!)

During the non-skiing months, I go to the gym two days a week and hike two days a week. I try to bike...but it is much more fun to hike with my dog. Plus, that keeps him in shape too!

ISki

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If I skip the gym, I feel like crap.

For some reason, it feels better to be fatigued and sore from excercising than tired and sluggish from being sedentary.

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Can't help you with the kid issue but I use this "Core Performance" by Mark Verstegen.
https://coreperformance.com/index.php

The workouts in the book are in phases and can be done at home with a limited amount of equipment (fit ball, weights, etc.). I also like the fact that the exercises change so you're not doing the same things day after day.

The website includes videos on how to perform the exercises.

The "Core Endurance" program is also very good, expecially during cycling season when I don't want to be doing heavy strength training.

mollmeister

Angel Diva
Then: allofasuddentheyaregrownupandgone, POOF. Like snapping your fingers. Bring your kleenex to h.s. graduation. That's when it will hit you, in full force.

I want one more "little kid" day. I grin big at the 3-4 year olds at my home mountain. Those days are over for me.
They're never coming back.
Think about it.
Trade ya....

MSL, this really hits the nail on the head for me right now. I have reached a point where I am really struggling, emotionally for the right balance.

Just now the kids can be very frustrating and exhausting and make it difficult to exercise (or pee or eat or get the mail, lol), especially when DH is gone, which is most of the time.

. . . and yet. . .

I look at my 4yo, and he doesn't even resemble the baby I gave birth to in January 2004. He's still my dear, sweet, talkative (and thankfully, cuddly) boy. But he's big. Not next year, but the year after (which will be here so very soon), he will be in school five days a week. Kindergarten, to be sure, but school, five days a week. It boggles the mind.

And the little one, oh the little one. Not much more than a year ago, he was like a loaf of bread. Just lying there. Doing nothing but feeding and sleeping and pooping. And now he is running. Crashing into walls. Touching fireplaces. :eek: Signing, and trying to speak more than his current handful of guttural *words.* He's on his way to big, too. Certainly no longer a baby, and only a toddler for such a short time.

I have learned, as all mothers do, that time is different when there are babies in the house. Time is slow some days. Slower than you thought it could be. Slow to the point of not moving, when the baby has colic or everyone has an intestinal virus. But the vast majority of days pass in the blink of an eye. A month gone. A year. And I know that one day (and it will be soon), I will wake up and 15 or 20 years will have passed, and my babies will be so far from babyhood I will have difficulty remembering their warm, bare skin; their toothless grins; and their tentative, waddling walks. I love babyhood. So much so that I desperately wanted a third, right away, before I *came to my senses* a month or two ago.

So all of this is a long winded way of saying that I am a contradiction. I cherish my alone time. There are days when I crave hours of workout or hours of reading or spa services or quiet. There are many, many days when I (more than) desperately want to feel that marvelous sense of fatigue that only comes from a good day skiing or a long hike or several hours in the gym. And I go slightly crazy because I can't have it. That sort of physical intensity has always been a very integral part of who I am. Not the mother me, but just the heart of me.

But then, when I do get the *time off* on some sort of regular basis, I feel the motherly guilt/sadness/confusion about choosing enough time for a *real* workout over lying on the floor with blocks and crayons and blanket forts. Those things, while sometimes exhausting, don't last very long. And I recognize, even on days when I wish I could throw The Very Hungry Caterpillar across the room, rather than reading it one more time, that in 5 or 10 or 15 years, I will be looking back with nostalgia. . . and wondering why I didn't read the book again.

So it's not that I feel guilt every time I work out, but rather that it's difficult enough and sometimes guilt-inducing enough to get a real, solid, long, heart-pounding workout that I usually only end up getting a mediocre workout. And it's hard to motivate for the mediocre workout. . . and so I don't always motivate. Or I feel crappy because I only had the half-hearted 45min on the elliptical trainer.

I want both. The physical exhaustion AND the glorious mommy exhaustion. And I am not sure it's possible without the live-in help we can't afford and I am not sure I would want anyway.

Did that make any sense? And is it long-winded enough for you all? :redface:

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
So all of this is a long winded way of saying that I am a contradiction...
Did that make any sense? And is it long-winded enough for you all? :redface:

Make sense? You want the diagnosis?
You are:
(drum roll)
N - O - R - M - A - L

TA-DAH!
And if this is a great way for you to vent your frustration during those times that you just cannot be out doing what's good for you as an active individual (FOR NOW), type away - at least your fingers will get a work-out??

A very lovely cousin of mine, now deceased, gave me the simplest and best advice (and only a few years ago, during a bad time for me) that I can impart:

This too shall pass.

In the meantime, if any of us can help in our online forum kind of way, holler.
MSL

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I don't work out. Occasionally I do a spin class, and I have a spin bike at home that I may use from time to time when I have a lazy stage, but for the most part, my lifestyle keeps me fit, and motivated.

Because we run an excavation business, I tend to get plenty of physical fitness when I work on jobs and shovel snow.

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I was there about 9 years ago. Mine are 3 years apart, we lived in California (away from family), and DH traveled all the time.

I joined a tennis club near the house that had some workout facilities and a pool and A KIDS CLUB. Mostly I played tennis, because that also fed the need for adult interaction. And I've found that hanging with athletic women does me better than hanging with the neighborhood mom's groups who would rather scrapbook. (Nothing against scrapbooking, but I have a lot more in common with grown-up tomboys.)

We also had a sitter who came one day a week for the whole day. She watched the kids and cleaned the house (for a measly $60 for all day; I loved Southern California for that). She was a lifesaver. Truly.

And I hate to say it, but you're going to feel a little crappy half the time for a few years. But then it will be over, and you'll remember only the good parts. My mom gave me really good advice when I had the babies: you just can't do it all right now. Don't even try.

But I also understand how important physical exercise is to our emotional well being! It is absolutely a huge ordeal to ski with young ones. We didn't live here, and I didn't even try to ski in California. However, I don't regret it so much, at all. I'm making up for lost time. :smile: It's a built-in excuse that should last me a lot longer than I didn't ski.

And I've found that hanging with athletic women does me better than hanging with the neighborhood mom's groups who would rather scrapbook. (Nothing against scrapbooking, but I have a lot more in common with grown-up tomboys.)

I have nothing in common with neighborhood moms that scrapbook OR grown-up tomboys! :becky:

My motivation for staying in shape is to get my butt into my ski pants in the Winter....and my shorts/swimsuit in the Summer. Simple as that.

I do, however, think that PINTO had some really great words of wisdom....I especially like what her mother told her!

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I forgot to answer the original question:

For one thing, I am trying to avoid injury. Working out actually makes me gain weight -- it's mostly muscle, which is okay, but I hate that it's so hard for me to keep muscle on. I work out for weeks, get sick and go to bed for 4 days, and it's all gone. Sigh.

But the main reason is that I will go crazy if I am not being active in some manner. It's a family trait. DH jokes that he'll have to put me down like a lame horse once the knees and feet are competely shot. (I'm not totally sure it's a joke, to tell the truth ....)

EDITED to add ... the middle part of that. I actually despise "working out" or "staying fit." I only do it so that I can continue to "play" without being injured. And because I'm, uh, older now, and just "staying active" doesn't keep me as fit anymore. I have always known that you are supposed to get fit to play, not the other way around, but I didn't do it right until a couple of years ago.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
^^ pinto, we're a lot alike in this regard. I've lost 5# since getting put out of commission a few weeks ago. I also have subscribed to the "get fit to stay active" philosophy for about 10 or 11 years--frankly no option at this point in time for me.

Guess I'm lucky to be participating in the Les Mills Body training classes, which is offered at my local fitness facility, lots of fun classes to music. Jazzercise is great fun, too (not offered in the Uber Boonies where I live). I need structure!!

I'll chime in too, to add that I always hated the gym and had an on and off relationship with "working out", taking yoga classes, etc. until last year when I acknowledged that I needed to increase my fitness level and maintain it in order to be a better skier and get more out of my ski season. So for me, skiing is my #1 motivator to get and stay fit year-round (though health and vanity keep me going and having a handsome, younger husband helps me keep motivated too :D).

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Val, you are one Energetic, motivated, motivating person!

I have no doubt that you'll bounce back fast from your impending surgery.

Because we run an excavation business, I tend to get plenty of physical fitness when I work on jobs and shovel snow.

Hey! That's what Mr. NVG does! (except not right now....he has his friends doing double time for him to help out while he heals his back...and to keep the money coming in.)

Marigee

Angel Diva
I feel for you Mollmeister. At one point I had 3 boys under 5. Until the twins were three I had a hard time going anywhere or doing anything with them (finding one unused high chair at the mall food court is hard enough - finding two is impossible!) I walked them in the stroller when #1 son was in preschool. Not exactly exciting or even a great workout, but better than nothing. I also hired a teen aged neighbor for a few hours 2-3 times/week. Do you have any teens nearby who could come just a couple of hours, maybe twice a week? If DH argues about the cost tell him your sanity is at stake.

And like MSL said - "this too shall pass." Everyone said that to me, but I didn't really pay attention. I don't think anyone really does because we are so caught up in the here and now. My kids are 20 and 15 now. I miss the sweet little boy days (especially when faced with teen attitudes.) My #1 son has a job in CA this summer and I realize he is probably never going to be living at home again. This is really what we as parents want - the chicks to leave the nest. It is sad, but it means we have done our job correctly.

You have lots of diva cheerleaders here to support you! Go ahead and vent or whatever - we understand!

Severine

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm sorry I missed this thread until now. MSL directed me here and I'm glad she did.

I feel for you, sweetie. Really, I do. I worked full time outside the home until January 2007 and I have to say, it was easier going to work every day. I have a little girl who will be 3 years old in June, and a boy who will be 1 year old in late May. Our boy started walking at 9 months. There is no "me" time. There is no privacy. There is no sleep! Our boy will sleep 2-3 hrs at a time, but that's it. He usually ends up in bed with us by midnight or so, so I don't even get time alone with hubby. I think last night we had 1 hr to ourselves. Skiing was my sanity-saver, but that was lost with my knee injury 5.5 weeks ago. And with that went my couple nights a week working to get out with adults and add to the income (which is pitifully not enough... hard to go from 2 incomes to support 3 people to half the income and 4 people). Hubby works 2 jobs in the winter anyway, but he's been covering my shifts at the ski area as well so I've seen very little of him over the last month. I had started eating better and exercising in January to lose the rest of the baby weight (and then some) but I've been depressed and not only stalled, but gained back 5 lbs I lost. I wasn't able to exercise and that killed it for me.

What's my motivation now? My SIL is getting married in July and I'm sick of looking like a fat cow. I want to be in better shape for next ski season. I have a goal to be down 55 lbs from where I am now by the start of next ski season. I'm woefully behind. But yesterday, I put the boy in the all-terrain stroller, grabbed my little girl's hand, and we went for a walk on a paved path by the reservoir. Yeah, it wasn't intense. But it's all I can do right now and it's better than nothing.

I totally understand where you're coming from on leaving them. While Mags (DD) was a daycare girl out of necessity (though I did cry the entire first week), Ethan (DS) has rarely been left with anyone. I'm a nursing mom so I couldn't be away for too long and he's just so darn attached that nobody wants to watch him because of how upset he gets. We have no $ to pay a babysitter so if family won't watch them, we have no one. My sister won't watch them because I won't allow them in her house (her hubby smokes there and besides the usual reasons why not to have small children around that, Mags had reactive airway disorder her first couple years of life) so to "get back" at me, she won't come to our house (1.5 miles away) and watch them. She even backed out of helping me with them at SIL's wedding even though SIL was going to pay for her to go and we would pay for her hotel room. (Long other story... I won't get into that.)

Goodness, once it starts flowing, I can't get it to stop! :redface: I guess I'm just trying to say that I totally understand where you're coming from. But what you heard is also right in that right now, not only can't you do it all, it's not necessarily worth it if it comes at the sacrifice of your family. I love my kids. They drive me absolutely bonkers and up the wall sometimes, but I love them. BUT if I don't get some mental health time, I am not a good mommy - and that doesn't do anybody any good. I'm sure you understand.

I hadn't biked in forever, but we were in Sun Valley last summer and had the BEST time biking every morning, dragging the kids in the chariot on the huge trail system there. Lots of bike trails around here (I am not a fan of pulling the kids on the shoulder of busy roads), so I have been doing a little, halfhearted research on good bikes and trailers. Expensive initial investment, but maybe worth it.
Expensive to start but nice. I have a MTB that we also have a trailer to take the kiddos on the bike trails with. This will be the first year for the little guy and I'm looking forward to it. It's not the same,but it's time outside in the fresh air and sunshine, and it's quality time with the kids while you get some exercise. It's a good compromise, IMHO.

If I skip the gym, I feel like crap.

For some reason, it feels better to be fatigued and sore from excercising than tired and sluggish from being sedentary.
I miss that feeling.

And the little one, oh the little one. Not much more than a year ago, he was like a loaf of bread. Just lying there. Doing nothing but feeding and sleeping and pooping. And now he is running. Crashing into walls. Touching fireplaces. :eek: Signing, and trying to speak more than his current handful of guttural *words.* He's on his way to big, too. Certainly no longer a baby, and only a toddler for such a short time.
Just had to say,I LOVE this description. :D

So all of this is a long winded way of saying that I am a contradiction. I cherish my alone time. There are days when I crave hours of workout or hours of reading or spa services or quiet. There are many, many days when I (more than) desperately want to feel that marvelous sense of fatigue that only comes from a good day skiing or a long hike or several hours in the gym. And I go slightly crazy because I can't have it. That sort of physical intensity has always been a very integral part of who I am. Not the mother me, but just the heart of me.

[cut]

So it's not that I feel guilt every time I work out, but rather that it's difficult enough and sometimes guilt-inducing enough to get a real, solid, long, heart-pounding workout that I usually only end up getting a mediocre workout. And it's hard to motivate for the mediocre workout. . . and so I don't always motivate. Or I feel crappy because I only had the half-hearted 45min on the elliptical trainer.

I want both. The physical exhaustion AND the glorious mommy exhaustion. And I am not sure it's possible without the live-in help we can't afford and I am not sure I would want anyway.
This is why, when I lost out on my ski trip Sunday night (the first in 5.5 weeks, even if it was supposed to only be a few runs on the greens at the local ski hill) I practically had a breakdown. :( (Which is when MSL mentioned your thread to me...)

And you don't even want to know how long it took me to read through all of this and finish my comments. :redface:

Again, in summary. I feel for you. Any time you want,if you want to PM me, feel free. We can commiserate. :D

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna