• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Holiday Desserts

elemmac

Angel Diva
I’ve been tasked with dessert for the holiday dinner. Trying to decide what to make...

Cheesecake? Pie? Cookies? Cake?

What’s your favorites? Bonus points for recipes included.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I’ve been tasked with dessert for the holiday dinner. Trying to decide what to make...

Cheesecake? Pie? Cookies? Cake?

What’s your favorites? Bonus points for recipes included.

To me I love a good variety so I can have a little bit of a few things. My family makes this no-bake cheesecake pie that's super quick and I love (I can send you the recipe if you'd like to check it out). That's my number one, then I like apple pie, this can actually be quite quick if you go with store bought crust, but I do have a crust I make when I have time as well. The pie filling used to be a pita just because it's time consuming, but then I got an apple corer/slicer/peeler for my mixer and it super sped up that process! I'd say my favorite pie is chocolate creme, but I've always bought that one rather than tried to make it for some reason so far. I also don't think you can go wrong with brownies on a dessert table to add in chocolate if there isn't a cake. Lastly I love a fresh fruit bowl to add to the sweets regardless of what the other stuff is.

Jilly

Staff member
Mincemeat tarts, pies, squares and cookies.

I'm making a vegan cheesecake and pumpkin pie this year. Tried out the cheesecake on my staff yesterday and it needs some work. My hostess is dairy intolerant, not just cow, goat and sheep too. So cashews, almonds are the materials.

elemmac

Angel Diva
I'm making a vegan cheesecake and pumpkin pie this year. Tried out the cheesecake on my staff yesterday and it needs some work. My hostess is dairy intolerant, not just cow, goat and sheep too. So cashews, almonds are the materials.

Oh my. My limited baking abilities would not be up for that challenge! Wishing you luck. Good call on trying it out beforehand, going gluten or lactose free can always be a challenge.

kiki

Angel Diva
Oh and for the strawberry tiramisu i don't use the strawberry preserves (jam) as they recommend, instead i just puree fresh strawberries with the cointreau and skip the orange juice. That makes it less sweet.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Cheesecake pie

1 (8 inch) graham cracker crust
1 (8 oz) pkg cream cheese (softened)
1/2 cup sugar
2 cups cool whip (or 1- 4.5 ounce container)
3/4 cup canned cherry pie filling (this is just the topping so the amount is preference as well as flavor. I've also done fresh fruit instead of canned.)

1) Chill crust for 1 hour
2) Beat cream cheese with sugar until creamy
3) Blend in cool whip
4) Pour into crust and smooth evenly
5) Spread cherry filling (or whatever flavor you choose) on top of pie
6) Chill at least 3 hours before serving

MissySki

Angel Diva
Oh and for the strawberry tiramisu i don't use the strawberry preserves (jam) as they recommend, instead i just puree fresh strawberries with the cointreau and skip the orange juice. That makes it less sweet.

That strawbery tiramisu sounds amazing, thanks for sharing!

elemmac

Angel Diva

That sounds right up my alley!

elemmac

Angel Diva
Cheesecake pie

1 (8 inch) graham cracker crust
1 (8 oz) pkg cream cheese (softened)
1/2 cup sugar
2 cups cool whip (or 1- 4.5 ounce container)
3/4 cup canned cherry pie filling (this is just the topping so the amount is preference as well as flavor. I've also done fresh fruit instead of canned.)

1) Chill crust for 1 hour
2) Beat cream cheese with sugar until creamy
3) Blend in cool whip
4) Pour into crust and smooth evenly
5) Spread cherry filling (or whatever flavor you choose) on top of pie
6) Chill at least 3 hours before serving

That’s almost too simple to think that it’d be good, haha. But with a firsthand account that it’s awesome, if I don’t make it for Christmas, I’ll be saving this one for the future!

Edit: meant to ask, does it set like a cheesecake, or more like a cream pie filling texture?

MissySki

Angel Diva
That’s almost too simple to think that it’d be good, haha. But with a firsthand account that it’s awesome, if I don’t make it for Christmas, I’ll be saving this one for the future!

Edit: meant to ask, does it set like a cheesecake, or more like a cream pie filling texture?

I will say that I'm pretty easy to please with desserts! Lol It's a family favorite though, have been making it since I was a kid. It sets in between, I'd say firmer than a cream pie filling, but definintely less firm than an actual cheesecake.

That tiramisu sounds great though, I think you should try that! I might too! Lol

Christy

Angel Diva
My favorite holiday dessert of recent years is the gingerbread layer cake in smitten kitchen. Someone brought this to a December dinner party I went to a while ago and it was the hit of the party, and I still remember it two years later. I have ambitions to make a Yule Log for my own holiday dinner, but that's a pain in the butt so I've a feeling I'll make this instead.

https://smittenkitchen.com/2015/12/gingerbread-layer-cake/

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have a recipe for peanut butter pie, if you're interested. A word of caution -- cheesecake pie, trifle, and this PB pie may all need refrigeration up until they're served and afterwards. At holiday gatherings, that can be an issue so I've limited myself to one refrigerated dessert and the rest stable at varying temperatures.

Have also been seeing Almond Joy Cookie recipe on FB. 4 ingredients -- coconut, chocolate chips, almonds, and sweetened condensed milk. A friend made them this week and said they're really good.

elemmac

Angel Diva
Last time I made them I used a sugar substitute, Swerve. I didn't like the results.

Unfortunately sugar substations are never as good as the real thing. Although I do use maple syrup as a substitute often, and it generally comes out pretty fantastic.

I have a recipe for peanut butter pie, if you're interested. A word of caution -- cheesecake pie, trifle, and this PB pie may all need refrigeration up until they're served and afterwards. At holiday gatherings, that can be an issue so I've limited myself to one refrigerated dessert and the rest stable at varying temperatures.

Interested in hearing what the PB pie entails! Refrigeration shouldn’t be too big of an issue, living in New England we just put things outside if the fridge is full for the holidays, haha.

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If your crowd is adult-ish, I have a wonderful Kahlua Cake recipe.

It serves 12-15, it takes 15 minutes of prep time, 60 minutes to bake, and if any is left over, it freezes wonderfully.

Cake:
1 - pkg white cake mix
1 - 3 oz pkg instant chocolate pudding
4 eggs
1 cup Crisco oil
2/3 cup vodka
1/3 cup Kahlua
1/4 cup water

Glaze
1/4 cup Kahlua
1/2 cup confectioners sugar

Cake: Combine all ingredients. Beat until well mixed. Pout into greased and floured bundt pan. Bake at 350* for 50-60 minutes until tester comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes in pan, invert onto rack. Glaze while still warm

Glaze. Mix ingredients well and drizzle over cake.

Note: Do not sample the Kahlua as you wait for the cake to bake.

One afternoon I made this cake, sampling the Kahlua as I went. Then, I made a Black Russian. Then a White Russian. I sat in my home office, head hanging back in my chair, absolutely drunk, waiting for the timer to ring. Great cake. Bad headache.

elemmac

Angel Diva
Note: Do not sample the Kahlua as you wait for the cake to bake.

One afternoon I made this cake, sampling the Kahlua as I went. Then, I made a Black Russian. Then a White Russian. I sat in my home office, head hanging back in my chair, absolutely drunk, waiting for the timer to ring. Great cake. Bad headache.

:rotf: Thanks for the warning, I could see myself going down this same path quite quickly.

That cake does sound amazing...and we are an all adult crowd.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna