• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Hips workout - what do you think?

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes, strengthening the hips/butt is part of core work and is important. Get good supportive shoes for any of the exercises listed in the article. Take care with the lateral leaps, maybe substitute for a less intense side step or short hop.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
This jibes with what I've been hearing from my physical therapist and personal trainer. They've given me a few other exercises, but these look good, too.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Indeed. I have been doing these exercises plus many more for hip stability... mostly with personal trainer. Those little bands are easy to work with and provide as much resistance as you want.

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes, I shared this with my personal trainer and he thought it was spot on. I've done these exercises at various times to strengthen my left hip. I would recommend doing them barefoot or with a very low drop heel. Your muscles need to work and supportive shoes will prevent that from happening.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
ACL rehab involved tons of hip strengthening. Different specific exercises, but there are a million.

Jilly

Staff member
Knee surgery does that. Doing all of that except the side jumps. Not allowed by PT. We do a variation.

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes, I shared this with my personal trainer and he thought it was spot on. I've done these exercises at various times to strengthen my left hip. I would recommend doing them barefoot or with a very low drop heel. Your muscles need to work and supportive shoes will prevent that from happening.

While these exercises helped to strengthen my left hip my trainer incorporated single legs exercises. I was amazed how difficult it was to perform single leg on my left side. For hopping I started with single leg, forward using a ladder. This summer I've done many variations. Plus a whole bunch of other stuff I didn't think I could do. Looking forward to a great ski season.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Yep, all good ski conditioning exercises. A simple bridge was part of the early PT when I did knee rehab. One of the reasons I like the original 7-min HIIT workout is that it includes a plank and a side plank, lunges too.

Lateral hops, squats, and walking lunges are included in this simple set of four ski fitness exercises that can be done anywhere.

I like the hip stretches included in this stretching sequence.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Same: PT for my knees always involves those very hip routines. I'm always told that I need to balance my muscle strength as well (quads vs. hamstrings, e.g.).

From what I've seen from just a few basic yoga classes, most of the moves/poses are perfectly consistent with what I learned in knee PT, so I'm doing more of that as well.

(I just have a patellar tracking issue; no big deal if I do my stretches. Painful if I slack off on them).

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna