• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Hiking Lone Peak at Big Sky

Skisailor

Angel Diva
Has anyone ever hiked Big Sky's Lone Mt. peak in the off season??

My sister recently moved to Bozeman and I might be there for a visit in early Sept. We thought this would be something fun to do. Just wondering if anyone here as hiked to the top before. If so, any info about the trail and the experience would be greatly appreciated!

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That sounds like a lofty goal, but one that I would consider with the right preparation.
Please let us know how it goes?

Skisailor

Angel Diva
I will! Assuming we manage it. I've seen a few things about it online that make it sound challenging but do-able in a day. But there is very little detail about the trail, etc. so I was wondering if anyone had done it.

One possibility is taking the Ramcharger chairlift (which runs in summer) up to the top of Andesite Mt. and hiking the ridge lines over to the base of the peak before ascending. That increases the overall distance of the hike, but decreases the amount of vertical.

Pandita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So skisailor did you do the Lone Star??? I am heading out to Yellowstone for a week, I will post some TR pics, but I was wonering if you hiked those ridges - I may want to try that

Skisailor

Angel Diva
Actually the trip is upcoming . . . . 9/2 through 9/7. We're still scoping the hike and whether we think it's do-able. I really want to try it though. We're going to talk to some folks in Bozeman who hike in the region alot for advice once I get there.

I'll definitely post something if we manage to get up there!

Skisailor

Angel Diva
Just wanted to check back in and make a . . . . non-report. :( <sigh>
Unfortunately, my older sister wimped out as far as hiking the Lone Peak summit.

I really wanted to do it, but she has some hiking friends who talked her out of it because of the big vertical, but even moreso because the trail is apparently very steep with alot of loose talus and very difficult footing.

I didn't care. I still wanted to do it. But no go. Maybe next year.

We did do some wonderful hikes in the Bridgers (one with awesome views of the runs at Bridger Bowl) and The Spanish Peaks area - short drives from Bozeman.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga