• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Highlands Bowl

Mary Brosnan

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Does anyone have any experience skiing Highlands Bowl in Aspen? Our family is heading to Snowmass next week and my husband really wants to hike and ski the Highlands Bowl. I keep reading that is expert only terrain but would love to hear from someone that's skied it. I would like to try it (maybe) but am nervous (low level 7 skier) that it will be too difficult/steep for me. I've skied Alta, Snowbird and Jackson and done black trails out West including Rendezvous Bowl but no double blacks. I know the conditions make a huge difference in how difficult a run is but I'm just trying to get a sense of how steep and hard it is. It's impossible to tell from YouTube videos how steep a trail is!

BlizzardBabe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The instructor I had in Aspen, Bob Mattice, guides skiers in Highlands Bowl. I got the impression that it is the type of terrain where you'd benefit from having a guide. I'd contact the Aspen Ski School and see if you can talk to Bob or another experienced instructor/guide.

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It is steep and long with no bail out route. Additionally the hike is long with some exposure off the ridge, where you really can't turn around if you get spooked. I'd say if you are comfortable skiing the lower angle terrain off of Deep Temerity then you'll be fine in the bowl. Or you can go up to the patrol shack and talk to a patroller to discuss the terrain, or walk over to the runs that drop down from near the cat pickup and that will give you a good view of the bowl so you can visually see what you will be skiing, which you might want to do even if you decide not to ski it (its absolutely worth checking out the patrol shack and getting pics because its a stunning view). That being said, i would not necessarily recommend a low level 7 skier to attempt it.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Hope you don't mind my asking, but is this something you want to ski or something your husband wants you to ski? If it's for you, that's one thing. But if it's for him, that's another. I hope you're not feeling pressured into skiing something you're not feeling comfortable about. It's perfectly fine to go your own way.

BTW, personally, I couldn't do the hike. But then I have a thing about heights.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I would like to try it (maybe) but am nervous (low level 7 skier) that it will be too difficult/steep for me. I've skied Alta, Snowbird and Jackson and done black trails out West including Rendezvous Bowl but no double blacks.
What are a few of the most challenging trails you've skied at Alta? I haven't skied the Highlands Bowl, but looked at the stats (pitch) in comparison to stats for Alta. One way to see how you feel about the snow conditions and steep terrain at Highlands would be to ski off the Temerity lift first.

Black and double-black designations are like all trail ratings. They only apply to a given location. I was at Brighton yesterday. The double blacks there are like single blacks at Taos. Alta only uses "black" even though Main Chute off Mt. Baldy (hike to terrain) is obviously quite different from Lower Rustler or Challenger.

marzNC

Angel Diva
When I was checking out Highlands for the first time a few years ago, I happened to chat with an instructor who was about to take two sisters to do the Highlands Bowl hike. The girls were tweens, perhaps 10 and 12. The instructor said that for kids the amount of time needed for the hike ranged from 30 min to 1.5 hours.

Hiking at over 10,000 ft is quite different than hiking at someone's usual elevation. I just did a hike at Taos that is much shorter. Locals take 5-10 min and can do it several times in the same day. Travelers who live at low elevation are more likely to take 15-30 min, even with an instructor.

Mary Brosnan

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks everyone for the feedback. Just to be clear I am not being pushed into doing this by my husband. I am working to push my own limits to find out what I'm capable of and just wanted to hear from anyone in the group who's skied it what it's like. My friend in Aspen arranged for a very experienced local friend/guide to take my husband up and show him the ropes. This will be the last day of our ski week so depending on the terrain I'm able to ski during the week and how the conditions are I'll make a game day decision regarding my readiness/motivation/courage to tackle it!

MtnRivergirl

Diva in Training
Echo what kimmyt said. Try Olympic Bowl (aka Oly Bowl) and see how you do there. If you sre comfortable, go for it. If not, there’s plenty of steep challenging terrain at Highlands to help you push your limits but don’t involve a tough hike and as much commitment. And if you like big bumps, try Steeplechase!

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've never had the nerve to ski Highlands Bowl yet, and I've been there twice. Once as probably a high intermediate and once as a low advanced skier. I did fall down Liberty Bowl once at Big Sky so that was a thing. lol And I recently reverse pizza'ed down White Lightning at Montage after a stupid fall on my SL skis. TBH, I'm not sure I'd be willing to hike it now or be willing to ski it b/c of it's "no fall zone" nature. I've managed to stop myself in a slide on plenty of "no fall" terrain, but it's no less unnerving even if you can stop the slide, and that's a big bowl with a long way to slide. I've skied the Cirque at Snowmass twice and lived to tell the tale but it wasn't pretty. Not sure what the Oly Bowl is or where it's at.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Remind me what does "no fall zone" mean?

I don't know if Highlands Bowl is a no fall zone but it's a zone where it's very difficult to stop a slide if you fall.

ETA: I'm assuming it's a steep enough pitch to be "no fall."

Covie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Here is a picture from a few days ago. I didn’t do it though :tongue: I did some research on it before my trip and asked a local about it... but it’s a 2-3hr adventure so I didn’t attempt. Sounds like if you have steep skiing experience you’d be able to handle it. A solid hop turn and side slip would be good to have. I did a steeps camp and we worked a lot on steep pole plant technique which really helps line you up for the next turn and control speed.

Attachments

• E02F377A-1EE9-4406-8634-937E3097253E.jpeg
    E02F377A-1EE9-4406-8634-937E3097253E.jpeg
    672.8 KB · Views: 18

Skisailor

Angel Diva
I don't know if Highlands Bowl is a no fall zone but it's a zone where it's very difficult to stop a slide if you fall.

ETA: I'm assuming it's a steep enough pitch to be "no fall."

A no fall zone does not really refer specifically to the steepness of the run you are skiing but more to what is below you. If there are cliffs or rock bands below the area you are skiing - that is a no fall zone. Yes, it may infer a certain amount of steepness where you might slide after a fall. But it could also be a dangerous traverse with a cliff below.

Liberty Bowl is not a no fall zone, for example. Yes, you could fall and slide a very long way. But there is no terrain of consequence below you. You will eventually just come to a stop.

MissySki

Angel Diva
A no fall zone does not really refer specifically to the steepness of the run you are skiing but more to what is below you. If there are cliffs or rock bands below the area you are skiing - that is a no fall zone. Yes, it may infer a certain amount of steepness where you might slide after a fall. But it could also be a dangerous traverse with a cliff below.

Liberty Bowl is not a no fall zone, for example. Yes, you could fall and slide a very long way. But there is no terrain of consequence below you. You will eventually just come to a stop.

Interesting! When White Heat at Sunday River is especially icy, they put a sign at the top saying “no fall zone”. This is a groomer. I think it’s along the same lines as what you’re saying though because people have slid into the woods on the side and been injured due to how much speed you can pick up. The sign offers a nice reality check imo of “should you be skiing this in it’s current condition?” (which you can clearly see the whole way up the lift!). Due to it being our “premiere” run (longest steepest, though there is a different short run that is actually steeper), we get a lot of people who apparently feel they need to ski it even though they don’t look like they should be there.

Skisailor

Angel Diva
Interesting! When White Heat at Sunday River is especially icy, they put a sign at the top saying “no fall zone”. This is a groomer. I think it’s along the same lines as what you’re saying though because people have slid into the woods on the side and been injured due to how much speed you can pick up. The sign offers a nice reality check imo of “should you be skiing this in it’s current condition?” (which you can clearly see the whole way up the lift!). Due to it being our “premiere” run (longest steepest, though there is a different short run that is actually steeper), we get a lot of people who apparently feel they need to ski it even though they don’t look like they should be there.

At big sky, the no fall zones Tend to be at recognized fixed locations. We use another phrase, “slide for life”, to indicate conditions where the snow is firm enough that it will be difficult to accomplish a self arrest.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna