• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Highland Bowl at Aspen

sususkier

Certified Ski Diva
Hello.

I am a big fan of Aspen and will be there from February 27 - March 4. I've never skied Highlands Bowl - always been worried about the hike. Any tips from veterans? I'm an expert skier, but not in the best shape so I'm not sure I'll be able to handle the hike.

Also, I've heard that the ski patrol can sometimes be persuaded to hike up with skiers and sort of serve as a guide. Has anyone done this? I'm the most advanced skier in my group and I certainly wouldn't hike the Bowl alone. I need to find someone to go with me - either a ski patroller or a sympathetic local.

Susan

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Give skigrl27 a chance to view this post - or pm her directly - that's her home turf, and she knows it well - hope you can hook up while there!

Quiver Queen

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The Highlands Bowl itself isn't that tough, just a big bowl like many others. The hike is about 45 minutes for most people of average fitness, and it's best if you use a strap (available from the Highlands Ski Patrol @ their building at the top of the lift) or light pack (eg. the Indigo G-String) for carrying your skis. Everybody hikes in their ski boots, and the steps are pretty well dug into the snow from all the hikers. There's one stretch where you hang onto a rope as you step around some big rocks on the spine (some people might get a little wiggy with this section). From the top of the lift (?Temerity?) you head left over a little rise to catch the snow cat which takes you up a ways and lets you off near a little patrol hut. Trail maps of the bowl are at the hut--grab an extra one for me!!--but all the "trails" go straight down the bowl into a gentle run-out with a cat-track at the bottom and a direct shot to a lift. (Locals may have a more interesting run-out.) Skigrl27 and didilawrence are locals--you can PM them for more info & maybe a ski buddy recommendation. Piece of cake! Have fun!

sususkier

Certified Ski Diva
Thanks for the information, Quiver Queen. You've given me some good reassurance and helpful tips! Appreciate it.

skigrl27

Ski Diva Extraordinaire<br>Legal & Environmental A
Ahhh the Bowl. Get on a stairmaster now & you'll be fine! The hike is the hard part. If you go, try to pick a nice weather day - because the hike in inclement weather is no fun. Even on a sunny day, it gets windy up there. I agree on not going alone, however, on a nice day there's usually a nice steady stream of folks going up the bowl...but still, a good hiking buddy is nice if you need to take a break on the way up. (I take MANY breaks on the way up.) If you need to stop, try to find a place where others can get around you.

Don't carry your skis. Invest in something that you can strap them to & you'll be SO much happier for it. Carrying the skis all the way up is no fun. Plus it's nice to have your hands free to keep your balance.

Another good tip - take the Cat for the first leg of the hike. You pick up the Cat on the left hand side, there are signs for it. It takes a good 10-15 minutes off the total trip. If you're extra lazy like me sometimes - you can drop into the bowl right where the Cat drops you off at the Main Gate. It's steep, usually deep & I consider it a "mini bowl" run.

Get an extreme guide (or I can mail you one, drop me a PM) for a nice map of the bowl and all your drop in options. If you don't think you'll be back to Highlands - you should totally go all the way to the tip top. The view is awesome & the best lines are accessed from the summit. The North Woods section is arguably some of the best skiing in Colorado...of course I'm biased.

The hike is rough - but just remember with each step what an accomplishment it is and how freaking awesome you'll feel after charging down, turning around & gazing at the amazing feat you just did!! My first time goes down as one of my best days on skis, ever.

sususkier

Certified Ski Diva
Thanks, SkiGrl. Funny, I just sent you a PM and then read your note.

Great tips!

Would love any information you have about en extreme guide.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga