• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Hickory ski area GoFundMe

marymack

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi everyone, a small ski area inNY is trying to raise some funds to cover their insurance premium this year. You can read the whole story on their GoFundMe. If you are feeling in the giving spirit, it would go a long way to make sure the lifts spin at this local mountain this season.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Glad you posted! The folks trying to re-open Hickory have had a long haul over the last few years. Certainly hope they can get over the last hurdle and find the money for the liability insurance for 2023-24. The deadline is Dec. 15. That amount needed is $38,000, which is higher than usual because the old insurance lapsed.

A season pass for Hickory is for using the terrain, not lift access. It's a bump near Gore. There used to be a rope tow and a T-bar. I stopped by to take a look in November 2015 when I was on my way to spend Thanksgiving in Lake Placid when my daughter was at North Country School (boarding middle school where I learned to ski long ago).

". . .
Hickory rises 1,200′ from the banks of the Hudson River and stirring views of the river are possible from most of the upper mountain. Gore Mountain, 20 minutes distant, is visible as well. Hickory is approximately 5-10 minutes off I-87, less than an hour north of Albany. It is only open on weekends (conditions permitting) and is home to the best mix of family and expert skiing in New York State. Its long glades and gentle learning terrain are a tremendous draw as its laid back atmosphere and community-run ambiance.
. . ."

Hickory Nov 2015 - 1.jpegHickory Nov 2015 - 2.jpeg

November 26, 2023
"
We are at a crossroads. We have our lift inspections scheduled, sticks are on, the lodge is ready, the slopes are (almost) ready. What we are missing is liability insurance required for state certification of our lifts for operation.

Historically we have raised funds to cover insurance and other operating costs through the sale of season passes. We have been hesitant to do that given the challenges we faced with lift certification. We no longer have a choice. Our timeline is short. We have until December 15th to raise sufficient funds to cover our full insurance premium payment of $38,000. Yes, it is outrageous, and we have explored all options over the last 2 years to lower this amount, with no success. We anticipate that this premium will be reduced in subsequent years because the cost reflects our lapse in insurance coverage, placing us in a high-risk category, and that we would be offered quarterly or monthly premium payment options.

We have been able to cover off-season operational expenses with events, the café, and access fees for hiking and skinning, and with financing from Bill Van Pelt and the Hickory Legacy Foundation. In addition, the Foundation has installed lighting for night skiing and the new disc golf course which will open in the spring. We appreciate all the support that has come from our extended Hickory Family, local businesses, and those organizations that have provided grant funding.
. . ."

altagirl

Staff member
A season pass for Hickory is for using the terrain, not lift access. It's a bump near Gore. There used to be a rope tow and a T-bar.

But the insurance is needed for their lift inspection? So that's at least what they are trying to do right now, I'd think? They said they aren't selling lift passes yet until they know they can open. Which is sensible.

marzNC

Angel Diva
But the insurance is needed for their lift inspection? So that's at least what they are trying to do right now, I'd think? They said they aren't selling lift passes yet until they know they can open. Which is sensible.
Actually I was confused because the Hickory website only has the No Lift passes on sale. At the bottom of the article about being at a crossroads, the prices for lift access passes are listed. Hickory had lifts when it was operating. After it closed down for a while, getting those surface lifts operational again took time and money. Presumably the mechanical and operational work is complete.

The NYSkiBlog members pay attention to Hickory. I look at their pictures and read posts, but don't pay close attention to the details. When I stopped by the base, I saw the T-bar and rope tow. Couldn't see the Poma lifts from the base.

Screen Shot 2023-11-29 at 4.57.30 PM.jpg

The history of Hickory goes back to the 1940's after the 10th Mountain veterans came home. It's very close to I-87, the Northway, and about 20 minutes from Gore, which is a big mountain and owned/operated by ORDA, an agency of NY State.

From an article that was last updated for the 2014-15 season
" . . .
Founded in the 1946 by veterans of the 10th Mountain Division, Hickory was for many years a ski hill mainly visited by corporate ski clubs in the Albany area and Warrensburg locals. It was (and still is) run by a board of passionate locals who are committed to keeping this living piece of ski history alive. Hickory closed for a number of years in the mid 2000’s before roaring back to life.

From the lifts to the natural snow conditions to the steep terrain, Hickory compares favorably with Mad River Glen. At Mad River Glen, it is the single chair that is the iconic lift – at Hickory it is their vintage 1950’s Poma lifts. Riding up is almost as much fun as skiing down. With line speeds approaching that of modern express quads, skiers can get in lots of laps using these fun vintage lifts.

Hickory’s main draw continues to be its terrain. The ski area does not have snowmaking – but the Hickory Alpine Club aims to change that – so Hickory is currently only open when conditions permit. However, the result is a snow surface that is truly fantastic on good days. Hickory grooms its intermediate and beginner slopes with a vintage packing machine that smoothes the surface. On the upper mountain, steep runs like Winfall and The Hare challenge even the most capable skier and are amongst the most challenging runs in New York State.
. . ."

marzNC

Angel Diva
NY has over 50 ski areas/resorts. Most people who don't live in the region only have only heard of Whiteface in Lake Placid or the resorts in the Catskills. There are still a few small hills in the NY Adirondacks that have survived one way or another and are mainly for locals who live 20-30 minutes away. Hickory has the advantage of being close enough to NYC/NJ and Albany that there are some diehard skiers who like old school terrain and/or earning their turns by not riding a lift.

I learned to ski at Whiteface long ago. Have skied a day or two at the other ORDA mountains Belleayre and Gore. Also checked out the two resorts in the Catskills: Hunter (Epic) and Windham (Ikon). Plattekill is another independent family-owned ski area in that region. Having grown up in NYC, I stay curious about the ski scene in NY even though I don't ski there much.

marzNC

Angel Diva
What I'm hearing is that Hickory season passes will be on sale on their website around Dec. 5. They had been reluctant to sell passes before they were sure that they could run the lifts. At this point, selling passes is one way to get the funds needed to pay the insurance bill. A bit of a chicken-and-the-egg situation.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga