• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Help Needed: Hi everyone! Wouldja help a new skiier out??

Serafina

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am so *ahem* STOKED (can I say that or is that a snowboard thing?) for Wednesday night lessons!!!

I've been using that term for about as long as the X-Games have been in existence, and I refuse to give it over to the boarders. It is a mother of a storm, we already got about 8" or so in Western MA, and we're in line for another foot tomorrow, and so far, it is all the finest possible powder.

Mr. Serafina's birthday is Friday, and we're off for another round of lessons and a day of skiing at Mt. Snow, then he's going XC skiing on Saturday, and we're getting a sleigh ride, and then we're either off to Stratton, Bromley, or Jiminy Peak on Sunday. Forecasters are calling for BLUEBIRD days in the wake of this storm, and it's going to be totally over with room to spare before I have to drive in it...And I am definitely STOKED. :dance: :dance: :dance:

crittermonster

Certified Ski Diva
thanks again to the new voters!

Maine Ski Lady: the rules say the skis are "Exclusive Designed by Me" skis. I'm not sure what they mean by that-- on Dynastar's Facebook page, they say "you'll win your unique pair of ski manufactured just for you!"

Again, not too clear. Maybe they mean I can pick any ski they make, and I'll have my design custom applied to it?

At any rate, second prize is a pair of Legend Idyll skis. Are those good??

Serafina

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Shoot. I don't know why we can't just do this with all of the skis. Surely they have to have the manufacturing capability of providing a set of, say, 5 or 10 designs for the ski tops, and let us order them online with our chosen design.

Think how awesome it would be to get to pick your own design for skis. Ooooooh. I know as much as I love my skis for what they deliver, if they had designs like some of this rockin' awesome things I'm seeing on the Dynastar gallery, I'd want to take them to bed with me. Not like that, you pervs. Like little kids take their new shoes, or new backpack, or whatever, to bed.

Serafina

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Yes. My ski guy thinks very highly of them as an intermediate-level ski that is very suitable for New England skiing conditions. They are fairly narrow skis and have a pretty deep side cut, and if I were spending a lot of time on powder I do not think I would be interested. But if you're skiing where you want an edge to grab in, yes.

crittermonster

Certified Ski Diva
Yayy Serafina, glad to hear even second place is good :dance: I imagine our Midwestern conditions are New-England-ish. (especially tonight!)

But as for the customized manufacturing: maybe they're planning to offer it soon, and that's why they're running the contest. It might be a way for them to test the process, gauge interest and get publicity all at the same time.

Mary Tee

Angel Diva
Have they announced the winner?

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Maine Ski Lady: the rules say the skis are "Exclusive Designed by Me" skis. I'm not sure what they mean by that-- on Dynastar's Facebook page, they say "you'll win your unique pair of ski manufactured just for you!"

Again, not too clear. Maybe they mean I can pick any ski they make, and I'll have my design custom applied to it?

Yes. My ski guy thinks very highly of them as an intermediate-level ski that is very suitable for New England skiing conditions. They are fairly narrow skis and have a pretty deep side cut, and if I were spending a lot of time on powder I do not think I would be interested. But if you're skiing where you want an edge to grab in, yes.

The Idyll is the successor to the long-standing Exclusive Legend (RIP) from 06-10, which was always considered an advanced model, always highly rated. Idyll changed up the sidecut to include a wider shovel, which changes its performance characteristics such that it is not quite the mogul-charger that it was previously. (Mogul-specific skis are well known for minimal sidecut, due to the types of turns that mogul skiers are doing.) Tail is also wider, same issue.

Still a nice ski, have demo'd it, and it's not wildly different (no moguls available when I demo'd in early Dec). I have taken the EL into 12-18" (base to mid-mountain) of blower (but just once re: that much) without issue. A lighter ski (AND skier) will easily float, regardless of ski width. It becomes more a matter of technique at some point. However, Eden probably is better for this.

It is also a light and lively ski, meaning that it will rebound with gusto when requested, very little dampness. Trade-off always is chatter on steep hardpack, something easily remedied by getting off the edge and turning.

Best of luck, voted for your design ages ago, as it clearly one of the most interesting, and if you either win the custom grand prize or a set of Idylls, that would be terrific.

litterbug

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am so *ahem* STOKED (can I say that or is that a snowboard thing?) for Wednesday night lessons!!!

I told someone I was completely thrashed after skiing on all that ice on Friday and they said "oh, you're picking up cool snowboard slang!", but I've been saying that about how I feel when my muscles are used up since around 1985.

I'm trying to revive an old Moabite term for post-activity rubber-legged-ness: gumby, as in "boy, my legs are completely gumby after skiing nonstop for 6 hours!"

litterbug

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Doh! I just followed the link and can't find how to vote--I found your skis in the gallery, clicked on them, and the only clickable item was in a little box with links to facebook and a "share" link.

But yours are by far the coolest. I'm not a girly girl but the wings look fierce.

crittermonster

Certified Ski Diva
Hi, everyone!! Thanks for all your GREAT support!

It looks like voting is closed and I was, indeed, one of the top 20 finishers. Actually, #12 overall and #1 among pro designers!! :yahoo: Now it's all up to the judging panel. They're supposed to announce their decision on March 15. I'll definitely be letting you all know whether I won!!

It's so nice to have found a cool board like this. In summer I ride horses and chat on another very friendly, active riding board--so I've seen what it takes to keep up a good online community. You guys are great! Thanks again!!

Liquid Yellow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sorry, only just seen this. LOVE your design, hope you win.

Good luck!

ScottishSki

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Shoot. I don't know why we can't just do this with all of the skis. Surely they have to have the manufacturing capability of providing a set of, say, 5 or 10 designs for the ski tops, and let us order them online with our chosen design.

Think how awesome it would be to get to pick your own design for skis. Ooooooh. I know as much as I love my skis for what they deliver, if they had designs like some of this rockin' awesome things I'm seeing on the Dynastar gallery, I'd want to take them to bed with me. Not like that, you pervs. Like little kids take their new shoes, or new backpack, or whatever, to bed.

Totally agree. Have to confess when looking at skis there were one or two pairs I discounted just for being darned ugly! I didn't choose my Rossi's for the design, but it was a bonus that it was nice.

OP, love your design. And great username as well BTW!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga