• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

He's finally starting to enjoy it.

marge

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This last weekend Nolan really turned the corner. I've been forcing him to go to ski school almost every weekend. He's one of those kids who doesn't want to go to school, doesn't want to do this, doesn't want to do that. When he gets there he really enjoys it but the getting there is an issue.

He went on Saturday and didn't want to ride the chairlift. Last weekend during a private lesson he got hit by a snowboarder and was pretty freaked out. He wasn't hurt but scared. So Saturday he went on the lift a few times then wanted to go back to the bunny hill.

Sunday he had a new instructor. I told him that he could try not giving him the option of staying on the bunny hill and just only doing the lift. Well, he was a completely transformed little guy by noon. He even went into the terrain park, jumped off the box, and jumped the little jump. :p :p He was LOVING it!

I can't wait to go this weekend and just finally have some fun with him. I think we may still do one day of ski school because he seems to like being with more little kids but I'm just geeked that he's starting to enjoy it.

Oh, and he also said it's more fun because he's not falling all the time. :laugh:

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sometimes a different instructor just has a better way of working with certain kids (or adults!) and something will click. It's actually one of the benefits of having sub coaches sometimes! So glad Nolan is finally realizing how much fun it can be. :D :yahoo:

mollmeister

Angel Diva
Oh! That's awesome! :yahoo:

My bigger little guy was finally doing better by the end of last season and he's excited to go up next week (for now). Like yours, he is a *don't want to* type, so drop-offs are always excrutiating, and he's also pretty sensitive, so when he's had a bad teacher match we hear about some crying about the lift or something.

But isn't it awesome when it does click?! I was so thrilled to get to ski a few (tiny) runs with him last winter!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
:smile::clap::becky:
Ah, that's so great to hear!
As parent, years ago, to a "i don't wanna" kid (especially with the getting underway aspect), I totally get this - and cheer for you! (Well, rephrase: I'm still a parent :laugh: -- but just not to a kid anymore!)

Heads up: it kinda comes and goes, though, over the course of years - I think for all kids. Somehow, they go through phases when it's a chore/uncool/disruptive of other activities, etc.

Persist. This too shall pass. Or possibly even exceed any possible expectations on your part! :wink:

In the meantime, enjoy the moment - life is good! :smile:

marge

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sometimes a different instructor just has a better way of working with certain kids (or adults!) and something will click. It's actually one of the benefits of having sub coaches sometimes! So glad Nolan is finally realizing how much fun it can be. :D :yahoo:

It was! The new instructor let him do a lot more on his own and I think he needed that. :smile: He was much looser and free. :becky:

My bigger little guy was finally doing better by the end of last season and he's excited to go up next week (for now). Like yours, he is a *don't want to* type, so drop-offs are always excrutiating, and he's also pretty sensitive, so when he's had a bad teacher match we hear about some crying about the lift or something.

But isn't it awesome when it does click?! I was so thrilled to get to ski a few (tiny) runs with him last winter!

That is EXACTLY how he is. :help: Drives me nuts. My daughter is all gung ho and never wants to leave (never HAS wanted to quit skiing). This is very new and frustrating. It IS so much fun to get to see him do it and see that new look.

:smile:
As parent, years ago, to a "i don't wanna" kid (especially with the getting underway aspect), I totally get this - and cheer for you! (Well, rephrase: I'm still a parent :laugh: -- but just not to a kid anymore!)

Heads up: it kinda comes and goes, though, over the course of years - I think for all kids. Somehow, they go through phases when it's a chore/uncool/disruptive of other activities, etc.

Persist. This too shall pass. Or possibly even exceed any possible expectations on your part! :wink:

In the meantime, enjoy the moment - life is good! :smile:

uuuuugh! This parenting thing is HARD! :loco:

Thanks girls!! :smile: I'm going to try to get some video and lots of pictures this weekend. :becky:

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
BTW, last year I had a little girl who drove me beyond bonkers with her attitude and not wanting to do anything and whining and crying (anyone remember me having to physically put her in her bindings one race day?). I thought I would loose my mind. This year she is a delight (for the most part) to ski with and a great helper with the younger kids. Sometimes it's just a stage they go through.

marge

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
BTW, last year I had a little girl who drove me beyond bonkers with her attitude and not wanting to do anything and whining and crying (anyone remember me having to physically put her in her bindings one race day?). I thought I would loose my mind. This year she is a delight (for the most part) to ski with and a great helper with the younger kids. Sometimes it's just a stage they go through.

Well, this stage needs to end. :frusty::laugh:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga