• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Here I go again...new skis?

SnowflakeADK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So heres the background:
My current go-to ski is the Atomic Foxy Mamma (last yrs Heavens Gate) in 150cm. I love this ski...BUT I used to love it more before I took 6 weeks of lessons and skyrocketed my technique and aggressiveness. Now its feeling a bit squirly at speed to me (tips chattering, flapping...generally destabalized) and I'm beginning to notice a bit of tail wash on steeper terrain. In my quiver is also a lovely pair of Line Celebrity 158cm mounted w/ Marker Griffons. Love this ski too, for its intended purposes.

Here's what my instructors say about my ability....they are labeling me as a strong level 7 to 8 skiier (by their standards) on groomed terrain. Fresh snow, bumps etc drops me down a level or so....gaining experience/comfort there though. My technique is very good and apparently my balance is "awsome"....I was told not to change a thing about that. Terrain where I feel comfortable I have become a hard charger on. So OMG somewhere along the line I became a strong aggressive skiier. Never thought that would happen.

I'm 5'2ish, and tip the scales at 180lbs. By general standards the 150 (barely reaches tip of nose) should be my ideal length. Yes and No. I think at my weight and newly "enhanced" (LOL) ability I just need more ski under me. Soooo....to compare apples to apples, today I demo'd the Heavens Gate in a 157 (approx eyebrow/forehead height). :becky::becky::becky: BINGO!! Winner, Winner Chicken Dinner. Suspicions seem correct.

I'm practically SOLD on the longer length. I was floored by the difference in stability!! However, I did sacrafice "some" of the maneuverability I've enjoyed on the 150s. I did not necessarily find them "harder" to turn....just different....I wasn't able to achieve the same precision with the 157 vs 150. I'm wondering if this would improve the more I get used to the length? Thoughts, anyone? Especially from those of you have made the jump in length.

Ok....part 2.
I'm nearly certain a longer ski is in my near future. I don't think I'm going to weed the 150s out of my quiver at this stage, either. Any recs for a versatile all mountain ski w/ similar stiffness (pretty stiff and burly), edgehold as the Heavens Gate? Maybe something a "bit" wider with good crud busting abilities but a frontside/hardpack predominant nature.
I've demo'd the Volkl Fuego and it's high on the list...very similar in shape as the Foxys. I'm thinking along the lines of Tierra? And I must admit....I'm absolutely fascinated by the Aurora!! Its not an easy one to find for demo though. I'm also a bit concerned by the reviews that it could be out of my ability range. Thoughts from anyone who has had the opportunity to ski it? I understand it has a much larger turn radius than my Foxys...sounds like it's more similar to my Lines in that respect....and I'm all good w/ that too. :smile: Edge to edge? Quick? Can you "smear" turns as well as carve? A distant concern here is that w/ my Lines at 90mm waist and Auroras at 85....too close? Logic would tell me that there wouldn't really be "overlap" so to speak as these are two completely different skis.

Would something of this nature be a good east coast ski to become my pick for most days, with the Foxy 150s and Celebrities on either side? Yes, I know the Diva mantra: DemoDemoDemo. And I intend on it. :smile: Of course I would love to score on an end of season deal too! LOL Just thinking out loud and hoping for some input/banter/opinions from the rest of you. :smile:

The Aurora is available to demo at Northern Ski Works in Ludlow (and perhaps at their Killington store) in 156. They are a great ski, pretty stiff though, definately not for bumps. I love my Fuegos and they are stiff enough that a 154 would work well for you with your height and weight. They're ok in the bumps, not amazing, but maneuverable, but they really excel on the groomed.

Sounds like you are ready for longer skis and you'll get more precise with them. Last season I was skiing 154 and 156 as an intermediate and this season I'm on 161, 163, and 169 (twins) as a strong intermediate and those lengths are perfect for me now, couldn't imagine being on something shorter.

Good luck!

Sheena

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am 5'1 and around 150 or so... My skis are all in the 160-163 range. I started skiing on 152 cm carving ski about 4 years ago, and 2 years ago bumped up to the Head iM 88 in 160 cm (?) length. I guess I would consider myself somewhat of an advance skier, but definitely have some confidence and skills before I can truly move up to the next level.

While I don't think a longer length is right for everyone, I don't think people should be afraid of a longer ski.

I like the stability that comes with a longer ski, and they have helped me rip through crud, and feel more comfortable in off-piste.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
While I don't think a longer length is right for everyone, I don't think people should be afraid of a longer ski.

I like the stability that comes with a longer ski, and they have helped me rip through crud, and feel more comfortable in off-piste.
Ditto that. ^^^^^

Also keep in mind that your weight has more to do with the size of the ski you should consider than height. I would not likely consider any ski under 160 for your stats, now that you've upped the ante with your skills.

Its not out of the question to go up a length and/or model when a new skill set is achieved.
If I were you I'd go demo'ing and have some fun.:clap:

SnowflakeADK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks for the input, Divas. Glad to find validation in my thought process. Longer is where its at for me at this stage. Funny, I skiied last night on my 150s (first time since demoing the 157s) and I was even more acutely aware of the lack of ski length and the accompaning instability. Greeeeaaaaaattt!!! Now I'm going to be wanting new skis even sooner. LOL

The shop guys are steering me away from anything 160ish and into mid 150s....154-156ish. I think I'll just demo and find out for myself. ;) Earlier during demo days I let the Volkl rep dissuade me from trying the Aurora in 163. I'm kicking myself now as I should have just ponyed up and gone for it. Of course at the time I was perfectly happy w/ what I had. :smile:

SNWL, thanks for the info on where to demo the Aurora. I would like to do another day at Okemo soon, soooo maybe now I have some extra incentive to get back out there. Besides, it IS kind of nice to have the ski for the whole day and put it through the paces. I believe my home mtn does some late season demo days in March. Here's hoping anyway. Would really like to demo the Fuego, Tierra and Aurora back to back and see what type of ride makes me smile, giggle, and in general WOOHOO all over the mountain!! :eyebrows:

Who knows, I may just end up w/ a longer version of what I have. :noidea: Although I have to admit I HATE the grafics. Blech! What was Atomic thinking??

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The key to your growth is that you're beginning to know what YOU want from a ski, and you are at the stage of your skiing that the "shop guy" will not be able to talk you into something that you don't want.

But, keep in mind that there are some shop guys who respect women's ski abilities and will give you good solid advice.
Whiteroom, ptex and philpug come to mind.

mollmeister

Angel Diva
I mostly agree with all the above and your gut (and YAY for improvement), but I would say that individual skis can surprise you.

I have just bought a Volkl Aura in a 156cm. I thought I would have wanted it in the 163cm for deeper snow and crud. . . but I demoed both the 156 and the 163, and I found I personally liked the 156 better for its maneuverability and the way it flexed under me (I am 5'2", 110-115lbs right now). I REALLY expected to like the 163 better for stability, but found I didn't need the extra 7cm in that particular ski and it flexed better shorter.

So I guess what I am saying is continue to demo whenever you can, and go with your gut!

SnowflakeADK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
SnowHot, I agree w/ both of your points wholeheartedly. It has been a long time getting to the point of understanding what I want, what I don't and then being able to articulate that in an clear way to the person helping me. Sometimes I'm able to do that well, sometimes not.

Unfortunately, I find that if you don't talk the talk or walk the walk so to speak, many times we are underestimated as women. :noidea: I have on numerous occasions been pushed toward equipment because it was "pretty" or have been shown skis that I know (through my own research) are too soft/too short. Sometimes these guys don't even ask what/how I like to ski?!?! :mad2: I've found that if I started asking harder/more specific questions, I get referred to the person w/ the most experience in the shop, though. LOL This has worked well and now there is a particular person that I will, for the most part, put my trust in. But even then, I still use my own judgement. Sometimes you don't know how to explain why something is "right" or "wrong"....you just feel it in your gut. When I purchased the Foxys last year I had a feeling I would want a bit more ski under me, based on knowledge obtained here/elsewhere. I let myself be persuaded that the length was right for me and I would be hindered by a longer ski. Well, here I am less than a year later wanting longer skis. :noidea: This is so off topic, but ranting about the frustration is helping. LOL I guess my point to anyone interested is DONT underestimate yourself. Be honest, but definately don't sell yourself short, because often others will do it for you.

SnowHot, I wish I had a whiteroom, ptex or philpug around here locally! LOL I DO have a positive experience w/ one of the local guys though. Re: Celebrity/Griffon. I could NOT for the life of me find my "centered/balanced" stance on this setup. Felt like I was being forced into backseat and the only way to obtain that good balance was to flex HARD at the ankles. Impossible in my boots to maintain that. Well, we discussed all this and I asked him to check out the difference in binding ramp btwn my 2 set ups. Found the atomic bindings are flatter than the Griffons. He raised the toepiece on the Griffons a bit and wanted to move the whole binding fwd....to help "initiate turns" better. I agreed to the toepiece....and not to the moving fwd. Problem solved. Love Love Love this ski now in conditions I intended it for. If I hadn't had some basic knowledge of equipt differences or been able to be persistant enough to get some input on WHY this was happening, I think I'd still be stuck w/ a set up I was not happy with. It was great to have someone LISTEN to me, and take my "issues" seriously. Ok...I'm getting off the soapbox now. LOL

Severine

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Before you buy anything, try my Joyriders. The bindings are adjustable since they're a system so you shouldn't have a problem trying them out. They're 162cm and I think they might be on target with what you're looking for. I learned a lot about getting through transitions on variable conditions with these. I've also picked up speed (contrary to what you saw at Okemo :redface: but I really have improved). They hold great on ice and hardpack, but have a wide enough shovel to get through crud well. It wouldn't hurt to try them, right? :D

You definitely have to be armed with information. My skis are to the top of my head and still I've been told they're too long. You've seen me: I'm not a petite, little girl. I need longer skis. :laugh:

SnowflakeADK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sev, thanks for the offer! Very sweet of you to suggest loaning out your "babies". :smile: I may just take you up on that. Your right, it never hurts to try something....you may be pleasantly suprised, right? And also, stop w/ the redfaces. You are a GOOD SKIIER and I enjoyed the day AND the pace!! :smile: Remember, I have had the benefit of lessons as well as 2-3 days a WEEK on the snow this season. Makes a big difference. I'm amazed w/ all that you have on your plate you find the time or even the energy to get out there at all. Your my hero!! LOL :love:

SNWL, the Aurora 156 is actually the length I want to demo. I have a feeling that the next step up to 163 may be too much if its truely as stiff and burly as described. The 157 in the Heavens Gate felt like the outer limit of where I was comfortable as far as length goes. I do in fact want stability...but I also want to keep maneuverability as well. :smile: I'm far from "expert" and have alot of room to grow and improve as a skiier so I don't want to get in "over my head" so to speak.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga