• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

HELP with length!

JoannaC

Diva in Training
Hi! I'm an intermediate skier, maybe level 4-5 (?), and looking to progress! I'm 108 lbs, just under 5'4" and wondering what length I should get. The skis I'm looking at are the Volkl Chiara 148 cm length, which is the recommended length by all websites for my level. However, these skis have an early rise rocker so I'm wondering if I should get 155 cm in length or just stick to 148 cm? Thank you so much for any advice!! :smile:

Welcome!!!!! I usually take the recommended length and then go up a level cause its almost always too short. I think 155cm would be good. The Volkl Chiara is a great ski, demoed it last year.

Jilly

Staff member
I agree. With the tip rocker, go up. I'm 5'5, but a lot heavier. I ski a non-rocker at 154 and rockered at 161-2.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
The Volkl Chiara is a very nice choice. At 5'4" the 155 is 3" shorter than you, and would be a great length to continue to grow with. Since you are a lightweight, you could certainly ski the 148, but you may outgrow it quickly and be wishing for that longer length!

maggie198

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
At your height the 148 would be more suitable for a beginner, even though you're light in weight. I would go with the 155. If that is too stiff then a softer ski in the appropriate length would be the better choice. Length gives you more stability, which you'll come to appreciate as you progress. The Chiaras should be ok. Try to demo them first if you can.

JoannaC

Diva in Training
Wow, thank you all for your quick responses!! :smile: I don't know why all the sales reps keep telling me to go with 148 cm. Is it because I ski at an intermediate level, and am only 108 lbs?

maggie198

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sales guys and reps (male) typically point women in the direction of short skis. It's a bias on their part, I think. Weight does play a factor, though.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
Sales guys and reps (male) typically point women in the direction of short skis. It's a bias on their part, I think. Weight does play a factor, though.

^^+1.

@JoannaC , you are light so that does compound the usual female "short sell". If you were choosing a super stiff ski I may suggest you size down, or consider a different ski; I expect in the Chiara though the 155 will be perfect. I don't know where you are located, but is there any chance to demo?

JoannaC

Diva in Training
@lisamamot , I live in Washington and they are not allowing demos this season due to snow conditions. It blows. :(
I hope I am not in over my head getting 155 cm as an intermediate skier. I measured it out and 155 cm reaches my eyebrows while my skis at home reach only an inch above my nose. But since I am looking to improve, I could always my hardest to grow into 155 cm. I hope?? :/

Last edited:

lisamamot

Angel Diva
@JoannaC , what is your current ski?

I understand in the beginning it is hard to go against shop advice, and I speak from recent shop experience. I came back to skiing a few years ago after a 20+ yr absence. In a nutshell, the shops sold me short, and I sold the skis very shortly afterward!

The delta in the length of your current ski and the Chiara 155 is minimal. Seems to me the worst case in buying the 155 is you end-up feeling the ski length is too challenging. That said, if you then decided to sell, selling a 155 will be much easier than a 148.

It is hard to go against shop advice. When I was first starting out I listened to the shop and the demo guy about sizing. It took a little gumption on my part but once I got the courage to go no I want 'that' size and it made a huge difference. Its much easier now and I have the confidence to say nope too short, need x size. Once you get over the the hurdle of doing it the first time its easier from then on out.

JoannaC

Diva in Training
Good points, ladies!! :smile: I currently ski with a volkl (unsure of what model since it was a gift), but I will go with 155 cm..as soon as I buy new ski boots HAHA. Fail.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna