• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Help with larger size ski clothes

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I just received an email from a man who's looking for some help finding larger-sized ski clothes for this girlfriend.

Here's what he writes:

Due to some medical issues during the past year, my girlfriend has gained quite a bit of weight and much of her ski clothing no longer fits (specifically pants and bibs). She hasn't skied yet this season because of this, and doesn't want to go on our annual week-long trip to Steamboat.

Are there any sources for larger size women's pants and bibs? I recently took her shopping and we found Obermayer 'Alta' bibs in a size 18 that were not quite large enough, but another brand's size 20 was too large. She's in a funk now because of the weight gain and taking larger sizes. I'm not sure of her exact weight (touchy subject), but I think she's about 210-220 lbs. She's 5'6" and normally wore a size 16 before. I love her dearly, and I'm sure her outlook would improve tremendously if she could get back out on the slopes and take a vacation.

Can anyone help?

ISki

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
One idea: could you alter the pants to fit? Perhaps the not quite large enough Obermeyer could be made to fit? Is there a seam allowance that could be let out? If the pants are returnable, buy them and take them to someone who alters clothing for an opinion/estimate.

SnowGlider

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
There is a cheap and comfortable solution to this problem: Buy men's nylon wind pants and wear them over a nice warm pair of longjohns.

I'm a larger person (5'5" 175 pounds). I do own a nice pair of lined goretex ski pants (bought on sale at REI for 35 bucks!!), but I only wear them on extremely cold or wet days. Otherwise I wear the abovementioned. You can get a decent pair of nylon pants at WalMart for well under $20. They may need to be shortened, which takes only a few minutes. Or heck, just roll 'em up.

I've never liked ski pants because they're so bulky. I often wear polypropylene cross-country pants with no longjohns because they allow so much freedom of movement.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Wow...size 20? Where, who, when???? I gotta find that!!!!! The largest size we can find around here is an 18 and they fit on the small size.:mad:

I end up with a men's XL or XXL and just roll up the bottoms - racer style. They have to have adjustable waists, though, or they slide down to my hips :D .

chitownski

Certified Ski Diva
I outfitted my mom with all new gear this season, and she's a plus size (18-20). I found that Columbia has ski pants/base layers for plus sizes (I bought my mom a pair of pants from Columbia that she loves). I also found Cabela's has some options for decent-quality base layers.

SnowDancer

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ski pants Sizes 16 - 20

volklgirl said:
Wow...size 20? Where, who, when???? I gotta find that!!!!! The largest size we can find around here is an 18 and they fit on the small size.:mad:

I end up with a men's XL or XXL and just roll up the bottoms - racer style. They have to have adjustable waists, though, or they slide down to my hips :D .

My guy's a real sweetie for posting this question on my behalf and encouraging me to join this forum. BTW, I took him to the airport this morning and I'm flying Saturday to meet him at Steamboat.

Volklgirl - I actually found more than a dozen pairs of ski pants in sizes 16, 18 & 20 by Obermeyer, Fera & Red Ledge at a local Northeast NJ ski shop, Pelican in Morris Plains. Also, I Googled "plus size ski pants" and found www.Junonia.com; ordered a size 1X pair of their Creekside pants for $50 in the sale section. They arrived the other day - fully lined (but not insulated), waterproof, nice basic styling, detachable suspenders, waist is elastic in the back & velcro adjustable on both sides, plus full zip from the waist to the ankle. Only problem - no inner gaitor!. However, the cuff is also velcro so I should be able to snug them over my boots. They'll get a their first "test drive" at Steamboat (along with my new skis - Dynastar Exclusive 11)

Thanks ladies, for all your suggestions!

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks SnowDancer, and welcome!

I'll definitely have to check those out. I have found Obermeyer jackets in 18 and they just fit, with no room for layers underneath. Noone here seems to carry anything bigger (which is kinda funny since Michigan is the "most obese state in the US").

smpayne

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Early, Early in the season, I found a few Nils pants in an 18 and they actually fit like a real 18 (not like a 14/16 labled 18). 2 months later, they were gone. These were actually the most comfortable and best fitting pants I've found - now I have to wait until next season.
I still have trouble finding jackets to fit. I found 1 Columbia in an XL(out of 4 styles) that barely fit with the liner in. Without the liner, I can were multiple layers, but with the liner, I am real limited to what I can wear.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hey, I did find that Columbia actually carries a couple of women's jacket styles in 1X and 2X. The 1X fit comfortably with room underneath. They're even nice looking!

SnowDancer

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Larger Sizes

Volkgirl,

What a coincidence - for the same reason my new ski jacket is an Obermeyer too. Likewise can't wear a lot under it, but it fits.

Also tried some 'boarder jackets because their cuts tend to be less fitted and a little longer - which I like. Found a leftover Bonfire I loved, but couldn't find the XL I needed in the color I wanted. FYI, Bonfire has some nice styles and great technical features, lots of colors, (a better website, I think), and their XL is in the 18-20 range; Burton's XL is closer to a 14-16.

Gotta go finish throwing stuff at a suitcase; leaving for Steamboat tomorrow AM. [What's wrong with this picture? Have to shovel out here in NJ so I can go to 50 degree weather in Colorado to ski :confused: My guy called from Steamboat last night and some folks are skiing in shorts!]

Thanks again, Divas - 'bye for now.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Of all the rants in the ski industry, I think the Size Factor of clothing is the most legitimate. I find myself wearing size Med and Large in some things and I'm fairly small. I have friends and ski buddies who are definitely bigger than I am and can't imagine how they find ski clothing if I'm wearing a large(especially in ski pants.)

Snowdancer, have fun at Steamboat. Post a trip report, and Good wishes for healing with your health issues.:smile:

Bumblebee

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
hi ladies, although I'm now 100lbs down and finding it easier to find clothes - I've been there in the past so here are my tips.

I've had a pair of salopettes from Junonia (as mentioned previously in this thread) - absolutely brilliant, *but* $230! :faint: They were made in Quebec but I never managed to source the manufacturer to buy direct - anyway they go up to a size 4X and I bought them in a 3X and was probably a US26-28 at the time. Very, very well made and the warmest I've ever had - I guess those Quebecoise know cold! :p

Ulla Popken (German designer) I believe now has shops in the US and they do ski gear at VERY reasonable prices ( e.g., $100 for ski pants) and sizes go up to about a US26-28 also.

Columbia can be very good size wize and although the men's trousers can come up very long there are alternatives such as their waterproof rubberised "stretchy" trousers which go up to a 3X and could be worn over warmer trousers but still keeping you dry. These were very cheap (sorry don't remember how much).

Helly Hansen jackets are quite roomy but the pants were still too small for me last year.

Suzanneski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This is an older topic, but I just had a baby and my XL North Face jacket and pants didn't fit. I got Columbia 1X pants and jaket, fit great and got a great deal of $159 for the set off of Ebay. There is a guy on the site "Northern Leisure" who helped me pick a matching set and then shipped it to me and I got in in two days for a great price. I was really struggling to find gear that fitted and wasn't just black, so I was very happy. I also saw a Helly hansen jacket,. but was worried that they ran small. I see that previous post, so I am going to order that jacket in an XL to see if it fits, also.

rangergrrl

Certified Ski Diva
Columbia Ski pants with Elastane

I'll save myself from telling the measurements but...its pretty dead on with his description. I am a HUGE fan of the Columbia pants with Elastane in size XL. They fit great and stretch for a bit extra movement when you need it. Plus they make your backside look good :bounce: Their current lineup with elastane is called the RETRO pant. Last years' pant was called the women's Ice Princess which I have 3 pairs of in XL and LOVE! The Columbia outlets usually have some of last year's stock at incredibly low prices.

missyd

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Before I lost 14kg I always bought my jacket and pants from the mens snowboarder section .... the pants are huge and the jackets too!:becky:

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
A year later and some 10 lb weight fluctuations, and I'm still loving my Marker stretch pants! I even had my seamstress shorten them so I no longer have to roll them up. They're also still just as waterproof as when I bought them. Oh, and the size 16 fits my size 20/22 body like a glove!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga