• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: Help with boot suggestions - Tulip shaped foot

mustski

Angel Diva
Well now guys, kinda hard to tell how much you love this stuff! This is truly so helpful.

@liquidfeet - Thank you so much for that well written argument. It really hit the "You can't know what you don't know- but it's nice to get a glimpse" nail on the head. I will take it to heart.
@mustski - That guy did seem a bit dictator-like when I spoke with him on the phone. Thanks.

My head is spinning from all the possible places to look for a bootfitter. We are spending the next week in Big Bear, so we will have to rent him something. (Rentals seem like a situation where boot recommendations may still help a lot.) There is this guy in Big Bear-- anyone know how he is?
Jim Morris | America's Best Bootfitters (Goldsmiths)

Mammoth is 5+hrs, Tahoe/Reno is 8+hrs, but damn, who wouldn't want to hang out for a coupe hours with someone named SnowHot or Philpug? If those are just screen names don't disabuse me of the idea --riverguides are often known only by names like "Goat head" and "Firestarter."

Mammoth and Tahoe are too far for day trips but Big Bear can be done in a day, during covid restrictions... so that's going to be most of the season.
Hopefully in March we will go to Utah. Is it Alta or Deer Valley? The one that is skiers only - no snowboards. Do you think Utah is too far from home to visit a bootfitter? We probably would not visit there every year after he got the boots. Maybe also it's a place to try some demos...

@WaterGirl - Sports Ltd seems awesome if they actually demo a big array of those boots... but they are the opposite direction. I'm not sure we will make it there before this trip. I will check them out though.
I know Jim and some people recommend him for sure. I’m going to be blunt...I gave a friend my Dalbello Kryzmas and she went to Jim to have the intuition liners molded and the calf stretched out a bit. He told her they were racing boots. Uh no! There is no such thing as a 3 buckle race boot.They are free ride boots designed by Glen Plake. Go to Reno- lodging is available there and go see Bud. Your husband has tough feet and Bud is NATIONALLY renowned. For years I tried what was close and, literally, wasted thousands of dollars on boots that didn’t fit right. I am tough to fit and Bud was the only one who hit it right.

Last edited:

mustski

Angel Diva
Also ... if you go during the week, Mt. Rise has 2 for Tuesday’s- 2 lift tickets for the price of one. It’s only 15 minutes from Bud’s shop

OleTimeRiverGuide

Diva in Training
Thanks for the great advice. We went to

Jeremy Middlemass at the The Sport Loft in SLC/Holladay, Utah. My husband's tulip shaped feet got some excellent boots - $1500 with tax. OUCH. I couldn't afford boots after that but he made me some custom footbeds and cut down the back of my boot. I really need new boots. He wants to put me in fisher curv 115 with a 96 last -- but MAN the felt uncomfortable.
https://www.bootfitters.com/reviews/2020-2021-fischer-rc4-curv-gt-115-w

We have been in Deer Valley this week. I got to try some Santa Ana 88's and I'm trying Black Pearls today. That's been pretty nice!

fgor

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks for the great advice. We went to

Jeremy Middlemass at the The Sport Loft in SLC/Holladay, Utah. My husband's tulip shaped feet got some excellent boots - $1500 with tax. OUCH. I couldn't afford boots after that but he made me some custom footbeds and cut down the back of my boot. I really need new boots. He wants to put me in fisher curv 115 with a 96 last -- but MAN the felt uncomfortable.
https://www.bootfitters.com/reviews/2020-2021-fischer-rc4-curv-gt-115-w

We have been in Deer Valley this week. I got to try some Santa Ana 88's and I'm trying Black Pearls today. That's been pretty nice!
Ahh, I've been really interested in those boots since I found out about them! My feet are too narrow for a 98mm last so 96mm sounds realll nice.

Hope your husband loves his new boots!! They're a real investment, with any luck he'll use them for years and years though :smile:

How did you like the Santa Anas and Black Pearls? I actually just picked up a pair of the 2021 SA88 after falling in love with 2021 SA93 demos last season, I saw a great deal on the 88s so grabbed them and I'll get to try them in a few months!

newbieM

Angel Diva
@OleTimeRiverGuide I am also in LA with no good options for boot fitters. I also have wide feet up front with bunions, super high arches that collapse and narrow ankles.

When I was in Utah, I went to The Lift House in Cottonwood Heights and did rental boots because I didn't want to buy, what I did was the following:

1. Made a call and made sure the boot fitter was free
2. Stopped by, he scanned my foot, looked at the old boots I had and pretty much decided that they were both the wrong size and wrong fit. Gave me recommendations for length, flex and last for when I am ready to buy something.
3. He went to the rental area and picked a pair of non-standard rentals (I think they are called sports rental or something, the level above the basic ones) and picked out three rentals that would potentially meet my needs. I found one that fit like a glove, I LOVED them and skiied like a champ all week without any discomfort. I also came in mid week and swapped my rental skiis for ones that would do better in powder. Super great experience renting from them.

Maybe I got lucky but if you are going the rental route that was perfect for me. Otherwise if you are going to Alta (you said no snowboards so that is it) then maybe the rental shop there so you can swap out if they don't work for you during the day.

newboots

Angel Diva
He went to the rental area and picked a pair of non-standard rentals (I think they are called sports rental or something, the level above the basic ones)

They're called "performance" rentals where I've worked.

edelweissmaedl

Angel Diva
Ahh, I've been really interested in those boots since I found out about them! My feet are too narrow for a 98mm last so 96mm sounds realll nice.

@fgor I'll be curious to hear about them if you get them since we both had/have the hawx ultra's. I'm in the Fisher Podium GT 110 which also has the 96mm last. I wonder how similar/different they are.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna