• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Help needed choosing a new ski

Michelle P

Certified Ski Diva
When I was looking last year, I narrowed my choices to the BP and SA -- with a goal of getting the 84. I tried the BP, I believe in an 84, the SA the store only had 88 (in 158). The beauty of this store was that they allowed me to take both of them out for an afternoon (and the deposit could then be applied to the purchase). So nice to have that real time opportunity to compare!

Ultimately for ME the choice was the Santa Ana 88 because it was a little more forgiving when I made mistakes. The BP, for me, was a little more stiff feeling which I was trying to get away from (I was "coming" from an older pair of Vokls 156/96) which were waaaay too much ski for me (at least at the time).

In the past year, these skis have allowed me to boost my level of confidence and control quite a bit -- from sheer moments of terror to finding more moments of fun and joy! :D

Good luck!

Michelle P

Certified Ski Diva
So -...I'm not noticing much difference between them. They seem responsive and turn well. I'm thinking that I'm thinking too much!

I can TOTALLY empathize, sympathize, and relate to this! I did a little of that too! If they are that close, well then you will likely be happy with any of them....and realistically you will! They are soooo different from what you are coming from, all of them will give you some great tools for getting back into skiing.

Go with your gut....and maybe the current price/availability....and I bet you'll be happy!
Following up on my previous post -- I THOUGHT that I was going to love the BPs....I tried to love them more than the SAs, in part because of the comments/opinions of so many others. But when I just went out and skied, and didn't "think" about what others thought (maybe because I wasn't feeling confident in my own opinion/awareness?) then I knew what was best for me.

ENJOY!

gailc

Diva in Training
I can TOTALLY empathize, sympathize, and relate to this! I did a little of that too! If they are that close, well then you will likely be happy with any of them....and realistically you will! They are soooo different from what you are coming from, all of them will give you some great tools for getting back into skiing.

Go with your gut....and maybe the current price/availability....and I bet you'll be happy!
Following up on my previous post -- I THOUGHT that I was going to love the BPs....I tried to love them more than the SAs, in part because of the comments/opinions of so many others. But when I just went out and skied, and didn't "think" about what others thought (maybe because I wasn't feeling confident in my own opinion/awareness?) then I knew what was best for me.

ENJOY!
Oh good, I so glad I'm not the only one not noticing a big difference in skies! I think you hit the nail on the head - go with my gut. I have more difficulty doing that when spending hundreds of dollars - lol. Maybe I need to practice with new ski clothes!

Michelle P

Certified Ski Diva
Oh good, I so glad I'm not the only one not noticing a big difference in skies! I think you hit the nail on the head - go with my gut. I have more difficulty doing that when spending hundreds of dollars - lol. Maybe I need to practice with new ski clothes!
And I'm glad that I'm not the only one to make everything such a difficult decision -- including new googles and ski pants! :rotf:

I think that's a good idea to start with a "small" decision and work up from there!

:goodluck:

mintzcole

Certified Ski Diva
I just bought the Salomon Stance 84. I have demo’d ripstick 88, SA88, BP88. If your don’t love the stances the ripstick 88’s might be a good fit. They threw me around inthe bumps but were fun. The SA88’s were too much work. The BP88’s were too chattery. The stance was the one I loved. The Fischer Ranger 90 might be worth a look. Great ski, similar feel to the Stabce but I felt the extra width. For carving check out Elan Wildcat Black. Or maybe Nordica wild belles. I have demo’d the wildcats and like them but again the stance were my sweet spot.

gailc

Diva in Training
And I'm glad that I'm not the only one to make everything such a difficult decision -- including new googles and ski pants! :rotf:

I think that's a good idea to start with a "small" decision and work up from there!

:goodluck:
Love your emoticons! So fun.

gailc

Diva in Training
Love your emoticons! So fun.
I just bought the Salomon Stance 84. I have demo’d ripstick 88, SA88, BP88. If your don’t love the stances the ripstick 88’s might be a good fit. They threw me around inthe bumps but were fun. The SA88’s were too much work. The BP88’s were too chattery. The stance was the one I loved. The Fischer Ranger 90 might be worth a look. Great ski, similar feel to the Stabce but I felt the extra width. For carving check out Elan Wildcat Black. Or maybe Nordica wild belles. I have demo’d the wildcats and like them but again the stance were my sweet spot.
I've read up on all of these skies except the Fischer and Wildcat. Wish the Stance was available here to demo. Good to hear your experience with them! Thanks.

Mariem

Certified Ski Diva
Hi! I'm 66 and do most of my skiing on east coast groomers. A few years ago, I took a clinic geared towards older women, at the time I was skiing on K2 Burnin' Luvs which I loved. The instructor was skiing on Black Pearls. I took note because the clinic was partly sponsored by K2 and I really wanted new Burnin' Luvs. Demo'd the new ones and was disappointed. Talked to a gentleman at a trusted ski shop and demo'd the Black Pearls. Didn't want to give them back! Bought a pair, and my husband bought the Brahmas. We have enjoyed them so much, but they needed to be replaced this year. I read a lot of reviews, then went to our ski shop, talked with a knowledgeable rep and left with new Black Pearls and Brahmas. They're responsive on groomers, and have held up well on lots of ice this year.

gailc

Diva in Training
Hi! I'm 66 and do most of my skiing on east coast groomers. A few years ago, I took a clinic geared towards older women, at the time I was skiing on K2 Burnin' Luvs which I loved. The instructor was skiing on Black Pearls. I took note because the clinic was partly sponsored by K2 and I really wanted new Burnin' Luvs. Demo'd the new ones and was disappointed. Talked to a gentleman at a trusted ski shop and demo'd the Black Pearls. Didn't want to give them back! Bought a pair, and my husband bought the Brahmas. We have enjoyed them so much, but they needed to be replaced this year. I read a lot of reviews, then went to our ski shop, talked with a knowledgeable rep and left with new Black Pearls and Brahmas. They're responsive on groomers, and have held up well on lots of ice this year.
Thanks for sharing your experience! I admit I love the name Black Pearl (although the Joy series has them beat for names!) And I liked them when I demo’d. But since I also liked the Ripstick, Mindbender, Santa Anna and Fischer RC one - maybe I'll end up going with the prettiest. Thinking of trying a Volkl this week, if our local shop has any in my range.

What an awesome clinic! Haven't heard of anything like that in our area but am happy with our 5 week workshop - learning so much.

brooksnow

Angel Diva
at the time I was skiing on K2 Burnin' Luvs which I loved
Memories! I had a pair of Burnin' Luvs that I loved until they couldn't be tuned again and the bindings weren't indemnified any more. Tried the Luv Machine that was fine, but didn't give me the same "I can ski anything" feeling. Now I'm on 2 year old Kenjas that are great for me skiing everything from classic east coast shine to occasional powder.

skinnyfootskis

Angel Diva
Which BP 88??

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga