• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Help needed choosing a new ski

gailc

Diva in Training
I’ve been reading through the forum for the last month or so trying to educate myself, but am having difficulty choosing a new ski.

I’m 66 and after injury to my back and both knees, am definitely no longer an aggressive skier. Currently 5’7” and range between 150-175#. I started skiing at 6 with my sister who is still my ski partner and our ski patrol parents. From grade school to high school, we skied every available run but only groomed runs as that was the only option back then. About 4 years ago and after a 47 year break I dusted off my boots and skies (172cm 62mm) and hit the slopes again. Realizing last year that continuing to use my old boots and skies is probably dangerous, I started looking for new gear and signed up for a 5 week workshop to learn how to ski on these odd shaped skies. I have purchased boots (Atomic Hawk Ultra 95) and am now trying to make a decision on skies. I don’t intend to ski off the groomed runs, have no idea how to bring skis up on edge but will be learning and love to ski fast. I can ski black diamond’s but so far prefer blue runs as I don’t completely trust my knees yet – but I’m getting there again. I demoed the Black Pearl 88 159cm and the Ripstick 94 at 163cm and liked them both but thought the Pearl was a bit short and the Ripstick too wide. I expected to feel a huge difference between these skies, but didn’t so am thinking that I may be obsessing over this decision more than I need to – lol. This week I’ll be demoing the Santa Ana 88.

After reading tons of comments on different skies I made up a long list of interesting skies, but am (in the moment) most drawn to the Black Pearl 82 or 88, Santa Ana 84 or 88, Ripstick 88, Blaze 82 or 86 and Solomon Stance 80 or 84. Unfortunately, here in the PNW there don’t seem to be any narrow skies to demo and many brands are not available either. I’m hoping you Ski Divas can help me actually make a decision before I’m broke from renting – lol.
I’ve been reading through the forum for the last month or so trying to educate myself, but am having difficulty choosing a new ski.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jilly

Staff member
With your knee issues (like me) I would try to stick to the narrower skis you can get. The Wild Belle and Blaze should be demo'd. Not sure you would like the Santa Anna's. But I have a different opinion of what carving is than some people.

Wider skis on groomers can create knee pain as it takes more effort to get the skis up on edge.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Big fan here of the Ripstick 88w, my primary ski for the last few years. I have a 162, they seem perfect (for me). Stats 5'6 125, New England, skiing 49 years, OLD. (Also have Head Super Joy, 75 wide, nothing wider than 88, minimal powder ops here.)

gailc

Diva in Training
With your knee issues (like me) I would try to stick to the narrower skis you can get. The Wild Belle and Blaze should be demo'd. Not sure you would like the Santa Anna's. But I have a different opinion of what carving is than some people.

Wider skis on groomers can create knee pain as it takes more effort to get the skis up on edge.
Why do you think I won't like the Santa Ana's? I've put them on my list then crossed them off several times, but don't know why - lol

Jilly

Staff member
Why do you think I won't like the Santa Ana's? I've put them on my list then crossed them off several times, but don't know why - lol

I didn't like them as a groomer ski. Mine were too soft, too wide and not the tool I like. But you may have a different experience.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I’m 66 and after injury to my back and both knees, am definitely no longer an aggressive skier. Currently 5’7” and range between 150-175#. I started skiing at 6 with my sister who is still my ski partner and our ski patrol parents. From grade school to high school, we skied every available run but only groomed runs as that was the only option back then. About 4 years ago and after a 47 year break I dusted off my boots and skies (172cm 62mm) and hit the slopes again. Realizing last year that continuing to use my old boots and skies is probably dangerous, I started looking for new gear and signed up for a 5 week workshop to learn how to ski on these odd shaped skies.

After reading tons of comments on different skies I made up a long list of interesting skies, but am (in the moment) most drawn to the Black Pearl 82 or 88, Santa Ana 84 or 88, Ripstick 88, Blaze 82 or 86 and Solomon Stance 80 or 84. Unfortunately, here in the PNW there don’t seem to be any narrow skies to demo and many brands are not available either. I’m hoping you Ski Divas can help me actually make a decision before I’m broke from renting – lol.
Welcome! I'm in your age bracket but was only an adventurous intermediate skier until I started skiing more out west and taking lessons after age 55. My hiatus was around 20 years after learning to ski in middle school in the northeast. Good for you for realizing new gear was important. Also that lessons would be helpful.

For the PNW, skis in the 80s are on the narrow side. While my first all-mountain skis were 75 underfoot, it didn't take long before I went with skis that were in the 80s for trips out west. From my demo experiences in the last decade, the BPs, SAs, and Ripsticks feel quite different. They have also evolved, without a name change, so comments from more than a couple years ago may no longer be as relevant.

It's been discussed in various threads that narrower skis are easier to turn, and so easier on knees. When I had finished knee rehab a decade ago, I used skis that were narrower and shorter for a few seasons in my home region (groomers in the southeast).

For your list, I would drop the SAs. I tried some in Montana several years ago and while they were fun in powder, I didn't like them on the groomers.

Lizzybliss

Diva in Training
I'm 64 and skied all my life and while i don't have knee issues (just old knees!) i just have to put a vote in here for the Head Great Joy that i'm on. They're the widest ski i've ever owned (besides a short stint with a second pair just for powder) and they are an incredible all mountain ski, all condition ski. Sounds like groomers are your happy place and even though these are a (ahem) 98 under foot they ski like a much narrower ski and give all the benefit of a wide ski (plow through crud and clumps), and seems like in the NW some of that crud is inevitable. Just my 2 cents, so glad you're back out on the hill, the happy place!

Knitjenious

Angel Diva
I ski the Ripstick 88 and really enjoy it. So if you liked the wider Ripstick, definitely try the 88!

I tried the Blaze 82 on a demo day and it was super fun and playful and turned sooooo easily, but I felt like I would overpower it very quickly. (I am your height but heavier than you.)

sashak

Certified Ski Diva
I just want to throw out there how happy I am with my Atomic Maven 93 skis. They are easy on the knees (I had ACL surgery) and are very responsive on all varied conditions. I am confident on ice, groomers, shallow crud, a little powder, and even moguls with my sensitive knees. I love these skis and think they'd be a great fit for your description. There was a awesome write up awhile back called "skis if I met them in a bar" or something like that. These Mavens are the smarty-pants skis that get you home every time. Some others you are considering are on the list as well. Good luck and enjoy!

Here is the link

Nedgirl

Certified Ski Diva
I'm 64 and skied all my life and while i don't have knee issues (just old knees!) i just have to put a vote in here for the Head Great Joy that i'm on. They're the widest ski i've ever owned (besides a short stint with a second pair just for powder) and they are an incredible all mountain ski, all condition ski. Sounds like groomers are your happy place and even though these are a (ahem) 98 under foot they ski like a much narrower ski and give all the benefit of a wide ski (plow through crud and clumps), and seems like in the NW some of that crud is inevitable. Just my 2 cents, so glad you're back out on the hill, the happy place!

Head doesn't make the Great Joy anymore. I think the last year they made it was 2019. I have that ski and I do love it, and will be sad when I retire it as I haven't found anything else quite like it. There is a Total Joy that I believe is 85 mm underfoot and I have heard is a bit more forgiving but skis well on the groomers.

I have the Ripsticks. They are a nimble and fun ski. But compared to The Joys, they do require a bit more strength and energy, especially off piste. They are a bit stiffer than my Head Great Joys which had a softer tip and a bit more rocker. But they do carve an edge nicely and do very well on the groomers, so if you are mainly looking for an on piste ski, I'd say they fit the bill.

gailc

Diva in Training
Thank you everyone for your replies - lots to think about! I demoed 3 skies today during and after my class. Will post tomorrow as I'm almost asleep on my aching but happy feet.

gailc

Diva in Training
Yesterday I demoed the Santa Ana 88 at 165cm and liked them except for an extreme squiggle/wobble on a run I had to ski fast downhill to make it through a long flat section. Almost wiped out twice when the front squiggle side to side so much that the backs crossed. I would have rented resort skies immediately if I hadn't been in a class. I progressed in class to being pretty comfortable with the new style of turns and the Santa Ana were great. Only learned at the end of the day that I can't ski straight and flat on parabolic skies like I'm used to - lol.

So - I thought I was finally feeling some real difference between skies, but after demoing Black Pearl, RipSticks, Santa Ana, Mindbenders and Fisher RC1, I'm not noticing much difference between them. They seem responsive and turn well. I'm thinking that I'm thinking too much!

brooksnow

Angel Diva
It's great that you're getting instruction as you get back into skiing. The new equipment makes skiing so much easier if you let it. (Kids these days have absolutely no idea how good they have it!)

As you noticed, these newfangled shaped skis can get quite squirrely when run flat. Add just a tiny bit of edge to do some railroad tracks and the runouts become fun. I'm sure your instructor will be happy to help you figure that out.

gailc

Diva in Training
It's great that you're getting instruction as you get back into skiing. The new equipment makes skiing so much easier if you let it. (Kids these days have absolutely no idea how good they have it!)

As you noticed, these newfangled shaped skis can get quite squirrely when run flat. Add just a tiny bit of edge to do some railroad tracks and the runouts become fun. I'm sure your instructor will be happy to help you figure that out.
Thanks, I'll definitely give that a try! At least in that situation I only need to chant 1 thing to myself instead of the 5 or 6 when turning - lol

gailc

Diva in Training
I just want to throw out there how happy I am with my Atomic Maven 93 skis. They are easy on the knees (I had ACL surgery) and are very responsive on all varied conditions. I am confident on ice, groomers, shallow crud, a little powder, and even moguls with my sensitive knees. I love these skis and think they'd be a great fit for your description. There was a awesome write up awhile back called "skis if I met them in a bar" or something like that. These Mavens are the smarty-pants skis that get you home every time. Some others you are considering are on the list as well. Good luck and enjoy!

Here is the link
Great article! Haven't considered the Maven but will look into it now. Thanks.

gailc

Diva in Training
Big fan here of the Ripstick 88w, my primary ski for the last few years. I have a 162, they seem perfect (for me). Stats 5'6 125, New England, skiing 49 years, OLD. (Also have Head Super Joy, 75 wide, nothing wider than 88, minimal powder ops here.)
My sister is interested in the Super Joy (hard not to be with that name! How is it different than the Ripstick?

gailc

Diva in Training
I ski the Ripstick 88 and really enjoy it. So if you liked the wider Ripstick, definitely try the 88!

I tried the Blaze 82 on a demo day and it was super fun and playful and turned sooooo easily, but I felt like I would overpower it very quickly. (I am your height but heavier than you.)
Good to know! Haven't found any Blaze to demo around here. Will take them off my list.

gailc

Diva in Training
Head doesn't make the Great Joy anymore. I think the last year they made it was 2019. I have that ski and I do love it, and will be sad when I retire it as I haven't found anything else quite like it. There is a Total Joy that I believe is 85 mm underfoot and I have heard is a bit more forgiving but skis well on the groomers.

I have the Ripsticks. They are a nimble and fun ski. But compared to The Joys, they do require a bit more strength and energy, especially off piste. They are a bit stiffer than my Head Great Joys which had a softer tip and a bit more rocker. But they do carve an edge nicely and do very well on the groomers, so if you are mainly looking for an on piste ski, I'd say they fit the bill.
Thanks for the great comparison- that's really helpful!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
My sister is interested in the Super Joy (hard not to be with that name! How is it different than the Ripstick?
Obviously narrower (75). I think it's a bit stiffer, not sure about turning radius?? Definitely a frontside ski.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna