• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Help! Need travel advice about going from Munich to Zermatt

akjen

Certified Ski Diva
We'll be visiting Zermatt in a couple of weeks, and I am so confused about train schedules/options on how to get there from Munich! Anyone familiar with this (MissyD, 2ski2moro), please help! )
We're a family of 4 (hubby and 2 young kids).

Thanks!
Jen

drjoyous

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
hmmm--i know it doesn't seem comforting, but it will be clearer when you get there. I've never made any plans of any sort before heading out for months at a time...and europe never fails to be easy to navigate. So IF you don't get any answers ahead of time, try not to worry: it's not like they're not civilized or anything....
My experience all over europe (eastern as well) is that they are MUCH more helpful to the traveler/tourist than i've experienced here in america. So someone will help you, you can be sure...

tahoe girl

Diva in Training
You can access the swiss train website at: https://www.sbb.ch/en/
and it will provide a list of options for you to get from a to b. I really like how clearly you can see how many train changes you'll have to do - with kids, fewer changes might sway me over total time but ymmv.

happy travels,
tahoe girl (who loves Swiss trains and Switzerland in general!)

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I LOVE Zermatt.

IIRC, you have to take the train Munich - Zurich, then Zurich - Bern, then Bern - Visp, then Visp - Zermatt.

Could you rent a car and drive there? You will have to park the car and take the train into Zermatt, of course.

Could you fly into Zurich instead of Munich?

abc

Banned
Pretty long train ride, I'm afraid.

sbb.ch is indeed the best source of train information. If you do decide to go by train, that is. With 4 of you, it's not all that clear if you can't do better driving.

If you do go by train, look into the family pass and Swiss transfer ticket, info of which are also available in the sbb website. Or, for a little longer explaination, another website that might be helpful for those who're not familiar with Swiss Railway: myswitzerland.com

altagirl

Staff member
I don't know how to explain using the train system in Europe either... but I've never had a problem figuring it out when I was there. I usually drove, but took the train from central Germany down to Munich for Oktoberfest, and took the train to Budapest and a few other places and it was easy (and fun).

When I went from Germany to Zermatt, I just drove (well, obviously just until you get close and have to park and take the train into town).

ScottishGirlie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm afraid I've never been in those parts before so have no idea.

Just wondered if posting on something like a British forum might help given that a guess a lot of the gang head to Europe. Snowheads.com might be an option as some of their members might have a few tricks up their sleeves.

akjen

Certified Ski Diva
Thanks for all the replies! I've tried the swiss train (sbb.ch) website, but it just confused us more! It's comforting to know that it'll be easier to schedule train travel once we arrive in Munich. We'll be spending a week there before heading to Zermatt. We aren't driving because we'll be heading to France after, so the whole car rental return would be a problem.
Once again, thanks for your replies!

Jen

akjen

Certified Ski Diva
I LOVE Zermatt.

IIRC, you have to take the train Munich - Zurich, then Zurich - Bern, then Bern - Visp, then Visp - Zermatt.

Could you rent a car and drive there? You will have to park the car and take the train into Zermatt, of course.

Could you fly into Zurich instead of Munich?

Oh, and we can't switch to Zurich since we're spending a week in Munich with family...

Bumblebee

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
akjen - are you already booked in for Zermatt? It's just that conditions there are really quite bad right now. The weather is supposed to be getting colder but it's not been pretty. But at that corner of the world you might find Tignes or Chamonix (France) more snowsure options? Cervinia (Italy) is normally very snowsure but as it's just on the other side of the Matterhorn from Zermatt I'm sure it's in the same state. (e.g., on the snowheads report this week they were saying Zermatt's lower slopes are all but gone and the middle-top were "slush shin deep"!).

Again, I'd recommend logging on to www.snowheads.com to get an up-to-the-minute view on where to go. The chances are your train will go through Geneva anyway so any of the resorts would be options from there.

akjen

Certified Ski Diva
akjen - are you already booked in for Zermatt? It's just that conditions there are really quite bad right now. The weather is supposed to be getting colder but it's not been pretty. But at that corner of the world you might find Tignes or Chamonix (France) more snowsure options? Cervinia (Italy) is normally very snowsure but as it's just on the other side of the Matterhorn from Zermatt I'm sure it's in the same state. (e.g., on the snowheads report this week they were saying Zermatt's lower slopes are all but gone and the middle-top were "slush shin deep"!).

Again, I'd recommend logging on to www.snowheads.com to get an up-to-the-minute view on where to go. The chances are your train will go through Geneva anyway so any of the resorts would be options from there.
Unfortunately, we have our lodgings booked already and we'd have to pay a penalty to cancel. We're hoping that the skiing's still good on the upper slopes...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga