• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Help me pick - Salomon Siam 10s vs. Burnin' Luvs

alyeskaluv

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Time for the next ski in my quiver . . . now that I have the Auras, I need a new(er) frontside carver for the those days where the snow is especially hard.

I found used pairs of both the Salomon Siam 10s and the K2 Burnin' Luvs in my size online, but am looking for some more input on these skis.

I know lots of Divas love the BLs, but the one time I skiied K2s (which was, admittedly, before they really had any women's specific skis), I felt like they skiied really heavy and damp. On the other hand, I have always loved Salomons, so I'm thinking I'd find the Siam 10s pleasing for those (very very) few days when I'm not on my Auras.

Help! Any comments on these two skis are appreciated!

Oh and, FTR, I really really want the Fuegos :drool:, but since I don't intend to ski my frontside carvers nearly as much as my Auras, I am thinking I will go on the cheap for these skis and upgrade to the Fuegos down the road.

cinnabon

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am biased but I'd pick a Salomon over K2 any day for just the reason you mentioned! I love the "snap", it can make turning effortless. I have the BLs with the integrated binding and they are SO heavy!( I will be selling them as soon as I get around to it) Due to the weight how lively can they be? But I know a lot of people love them, so if you can, demo both... I don't know the Siam 10. I have the Mynx, the Origin, and the old X-Scream Series and I love them all!

Jilly

Staff member
cinnabon the Siam 10 is similar to your Origins, it replaced the Siam 10, but I think there are some differences.

Alyeskaski - The Siam 10 is an all mountain ski. I demo'd this ski a few years ago, but I don't remember anything specific. I can't find the write up I did for the store on it in my computer, but I think I have a print out at the condo. I'll look this weekend. I've never tried the K2's, don't have access to them.

C

CMCM

I think the Siam 10 is more of a lower intermediate ski. I haven't ever tried K2s so I can't compare those, but I have the 07/08 Origins and they are fabulous. I read detailed reviews comparing the 06/07 Origins to the 07/08's (the skis looked pretty much the same), and the 07/08's got much better reviews as it appears there were construction changes. I believe the ones for this year are exactly the same as last year's except the topsheet design is different. I love my Origins....they are very quick to respond and very stable, and I'm totally happy with them now.

C

CMCM

I belong to ExpertSkier.com, which has really great, unbiased reviews on both current and older skis. In addition to reviews, it also has all the yearly catalogs for each ski line. It's well worth the yearly subscription of $19.95. Anyhow, I looked up the Siam 10's and here's what they said:

Siam 10
Our skiers preferred the Origin. Complaints included "too soft, chattery, does not like small radius turns, lacked energy, grabby and dull" but, most testers recognized, stable at speed. We recommend the Origin.
In their ratings, out of possible 5's, here's what they said:
clean carve: 3
soft edge: 2
straight run: 2
stability: 3
rebound: 2
quickness: 3
lightness: 3
forgiveness: 3

By comparison, here's the 07-08 Origins review (same this year too, just a different topsheet):

Salomon's marquee female-specific 1-ski-quiver gets an update. A good performer, yet reasonably user friendly for strong skiers. One of the most versatile skis in the line.
clean carve: 5
soft edge: 4
straight run: 4
stability: 4
rebound: 4
quickness: 4
lightness: 4
forgiveness: 3

Here's the Origins 2007 review, which differed slightly from the 2008, apparently. Ratings seemed to improve in 2008, too.
This should be a strong seller for Salomon. Quick, smooth, stable, damp (wood core) and relatively forgiving. The one downside is that several of our skiers made negative comments on the graphics.
clean carve: 4
soft edge: 5
straight run: 4
rebound: 5
quickness: 5
lightness: 4
forgiveness: 4

And here's the 2009 Origins Opal, new this year:
1-ski-quiver for skiers who ski 50%+ on the groomed. Similar to the Origins, slightly less aggressive and demanding. Good tool with which to improve skills and tactics and a good teaching ski.
clean carve: 5
smooth soft edge: 4
accurate: 4
rebound: 4
quickness: 4
lightness: 5
relaxing: 4

Hope this helps!

fatoots

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have never skied Salomon so I am giving you my 0.02 on the BL's. My only ski for the moment, lol. It's funny to hear complaints about them being heavy, because when I demo'd the Volkl AC30s I could barely carry them and that was a turn off for me.

Good pluses imo for the K2's is the stability at high speeds. I get very little chatter when I start gaining speed, and I kind of don't like to go very fast, but I'm working my way up to going faster, so to me having stable skis helps because the chatter would freak me out. LOL They also carve really well.

I rode up the lift with a girl who said she thought her Volkl Attivas held and edge on hard pack better than her Burnin' Luvs, FWIW.

alyeskaluv

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks, CMCM! I should just pay for expertskier.com, but after finding the Aura, I didn't expect to buy any more skis this year!

I had the same concern about the Siam 10 - they say it's like the Origin, but some reviews I've seen say it is too soft for advanced skiers and that the revamped Salomon line is a big improvement. I think I will look elsewhere for my carvers! I really do love Salomons, so the Origins may be a good fit.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna