• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Help me pick 3 demo skis

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Blue Mountain (PA) offers 3 demos for a set price, so I'm likely going to take my new boots for a spin with longer skis to see how I feel. Due to being a poor college student the last few years, I am not at all up on current skis, and I haven't demoed a ski since 2018. I'm definitely going to take out the 154 Yumi for an apples-to-apples comparison to my current 147 Yumis, but curious if anyone has recs for the other two? I've always been intrigued by the Head Super Joy, although I suspect it will probably be too stiff for me. Mostly trying to stick to the 80s for width since similar to the Yumis.

Stats: 5'1", 95 lbs., low advanced skier
Current Quiver: 147 Volkl Yumi; 150 Head WC iSL RD Team

Demo List:
Elan Ripstick 88W 154
Elan Wildcat 82C 152
Head Super Joy 153, 159
Nordica Wild Belle 78 150
Nordica Wild Belle 84 150
Rossignol Nova 8 156
Salomon S/Force W 7 150
Salomon S/Force W Fever 149, 156
Volkl Blaze 94W 151
Volkl Flair 79 149, 156
Volkl Kenja 88 156
Volkl Yumi 84 154

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Blue Mountain (PA) offers 3 demos for a set price, so I'm likely going to take my new boots for a spin with longer skis to see how I feel. Due to being a poor college student the last few years, I am not at all up on current skis, and I haven't demoed a ski since 2018. I'm definitely going to take out the 154 Yumi for an apples-to-apples comparison to my current 147 Yumis, but curious if anyone has recs for the other two? I've always been intrigued by the Head Super Joy, although I suspect it will probably be too stiff for me. Mostly trying to stick to the 80s for width since similar to the Yumis.

Demo List:
Elan Ripstick 88W 154
Elan Wildcat 82C 152
Head Super Joy 153, 159
Rossignol Nova 8 156
Salomon S/Force W 7 150
Volkl Blaze 94W 151
Volkl Flair 79 149, 156
Volkl Kenja 88 156
Volkl Yumi 84 154
Good selection but I had the Volka Kenja from 2012 and they were super stiff and that was in a 149. I typically ski in the mid 150's but not in the east. I've heard the Elan Ripstick 88's were really easy to ski (not sure that's what you want but it's what I heard)....

marzNC

Angel Diva
Hmm, only three? Here's 4 in addition to the Yumi.

Elan Wildcat 82C 152
Salomon S/Force W Fever 149
Volkl Flair 79 149
Volkl Yumi 84 154

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Good selection but I had the Volka Kenja from 2012 and they were super stiff and that was in a 149. I typically ski in the mid 150's but not in the east. I've heard the Elan Ripstick 88's were really easy to ski (not sure that's what you want but it's what I heard)....
That's their entire list... not my selection, just for clarification.

I owned the Kenja back in the day, and I won't try it again. While I loved that ski, realistically it's too stiff for me. Good to know on the Ripstick. I was eyeing up the Ripstick only b/c I feel like I've heard that name tossed around a fair bit. I'm mostly just looking to try new skis that others have liked and see how being able to flex my boots impacts my feelings on longer skis than I've liked in the past, which is why I'm keeping the Yumi as a direct comparison. The other two skis are just bonus. :smile:

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hmm, only three? Here's 4 in addition to the Yumi.

Elan Wildcat 82C 152
Salomon S/Force W Fever 149
Volkl Flair 79 149
Volkl Yumi 84 154
Have you tried the Wildcat? I was looking at that one earlier, and the width is similar to the Yumi, but I don't think I've heard much talk surrounding it.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Have you tried the Wildcat? I was looking at that one earlier, and the width is similar to the Yumi, but I don't think I've heard much talk surrounding it.
From the description on the Elan website, the Wildcat 82C sounds interesting to me, 129-82-112, TR 11. Although if I were to buy a pair, I'd probably go for the shorter length, 146cm. For me, it's a plus that there is a version that comes with bindings.

I haven't demo'd skis in the 80mm range for a while. Just starting to consider options for a replacement for my Head Absolut Joys. Could just get another pair but I like to change things up.

I miss the Whitetail Demo Day that used to have a really good selection of brand tents. The Sunapee Ladies Day was the last general demo day where there were more than enough options to try to keep demo'ing all day.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I miss the Whitetail Demo Day that used to have a really good selection of brand tents. The Sunapee Ladies Day was the last general demo day where there were more than enough options to try to keep demo'ing all day.
Yeah, unfortunately the PA demo days were few and far between, and the pandemic seems to have finished them off. Would love to see them come back one day.

SMichael08

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have the Wildcat 86CX and have really enjoyed it thus far. The CX versions have carbon rods that run the length of the ski whereas the C just has a layer of carbon reinforcement along select portions of the ski, so the 82Cs will be a bit less stiff. I’ve only been able to ski the 86s a few half days, but so far I find them to be really quite easy to get on edge and they seem to like some speed. I will say I’m 5’1” currently about 150# and I went with the 158 (previous skis were 154s) and I do wonder if the 152 might have been a bit more enjoyable for me, though I’m sure I’ll adjust to the extra length before too long. Selfishly I’d love to have more folks try out the Wildcats for discussion/comparison, but I’m finding them a great frontside+ ski. I believe @VTborn just bought the 82Cs and might some good perspective on them.

VTborn

Certified Ski Diva
I have skied on the Wildcat 82C 6 times and I love them. They love to carve, are easy to turn, and feel (to me at least), more stable at higher speeds than the yumis. I am 5’3” and 125 lbs and bought the 146. I probably could have gone for the 152, but it’s a stiffer, less-rockered ski than what I was used to so I went with the shorter length (hoping I don’t regret this—I’d definitely try both sizes is they’ll let you). I would say I’m at a similar ability level to you and this ski has already helped me progress a bit.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Got out to Blue Mountain yesterday with @vanhoskier

Demoed:
150 Nordica Wild Belle 84
154 Volkl Yumi 84
154 Elan Ripstick 88 W

I haven't demoed in forever and didn't have any wild epiphanies on any of the skis, but here are my basic thoughts on each, if anyone is curious.

150 Nordica Wild Belle 84 - Shortest of the skis I tried and not really any longer than what I'm normally comfortable with. Much turnier than the Yumis (both my current skis and the 2022), probably due to the side-cut; they have a wider tip in relation to the waist than the Yumis. Decent energy and grip on the groomers. Comfortable and serviceable in the bumps, but nothing exciting.

154 Volkl Yumi 84 - Not as turny and maybe a little less grippy than the Wild Belles. Good energy on the groomers. Felt very similar to my current Yumis used to for me when I wasn't feeling "off" on them. But I really loved these skis in the bumps. While not as turny as the Wild Belles, they felt MUCH softer than my current 147s in the bumps, which was curious (not sure if this is related to the lengths?) and sooo much energy. I had a blast on them on Blue's new run Freefall (the trail formerly known as "Coming Soon"). Unlike in the past where I've felt that the 154 Yumis were too long for me, I didn't notice the extra length at all, especially in the bumps where I usually dislike extra length. Didn't get to take them into any trees because sketchy conditions, and demo agreement says you have to stay on trail anyhow.

154 Elan Ripstick 88 W - I'm not sure if I did or really could give these skis a fair shot. By the time I took them out it was getting scraped off on the groomers and they just didn't feel as grippy as the other skis. Again, like the Wild Belles, they were just okay for me in the bumps, but I'm not sure they got a fair shake there either because the trail was crowded when I was on it, and I never really got into a groove. Overall, these skis were just wider than I would like for the conditions I tend to ski in eastern PA and on the east coast in general. Would be curious to try them in more western conditions. Like the Yumis, I also didn't notice the extra length on these skis and with the rocker they felt shorter than the Yumis.

sorcamc

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Got out to Blue Mountain yesterday with @vanhoskier

Demoed:
150 Nordica Wild Belle 84
154 Volkl Yumi 84
154 Elan Ripstick 88 W

I haven't demoed in forever and didn't have any wild epiphanies on any of the skis, but here are my basic thoughts on each, if anyone is curious.

150 Nordica Wild Belle 84 - Shortest of the skis I tried and not really any longer than what I'm normally comfortable with. Much turnier than the Yumis (both my current skis and the 2022), probably due to the side-cut; they have a wider tip in relation to the waist than the Yumis. Decent energy and grip on the groomers. Comfortable and serviceable in the bumps, but nothing exciting.

154 Volkl Yumi 84 - Not as turny and maybe a little less grippy than the Wild Belles. Good energy on the groomers. Felt very similar to my current Yumis used to for me when I wasn't feeling "off" on them. But I really loved these skis in the bumps. While not as turny as the Wild Belles, they felt MUCH softer than my current 147s in the bumps, which was curious (not sure if this is related to the lengths?) and sooo much energy. I had a blast on them on Blue's new run Freefall (the trail formerly known as "Coming Soon"). Unlike in the past where I've felt that the 154 Yumis were too long for me, I didn't notice the extra length at all, especially in the bumps where I usually dislike extra length. Didn't get to take them into any trees because sketchy conditions, and demo agreement says you have to stay on trail anyhow.

154 Elan Ripstick 88 W - I'm not sure if I did or really could give these skis a fair shot. By the time I took them out it was getting scraped off on the groomers and they just didn't feel as grippy as the other skis. Again, like the Wild Belles, they were just okay for me in the bumps, but I'm not sure they got a fair shake there either because the trail was crowded when I was on it, and I never really got into a groove. Overall, these skis were just wider than I would like for the conditions I tend to ski in eastern PA and on the east coast in general. Would be curious to try them in more western conditions. Like the Yumis, I also didn't notice the extra length on these skis and with the rocker they felt shorter than the Yumis.
Great reviews..Please let me know if you are at Blue again! Would love to ski w you both!

Lmk92

Angel Diva
I really want to get there for a demo day, too. Sad that they have such a limited selection, but at least they have a selection! I'm really interested in trying those Wildcats. Also the Wild Belle 78s are intriguing.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Great reviews..Please let me know if you are at Blue again! Would love to ski w you both!
Definitely! It was so nice to be on there on a quiet weekday, and LOVED the new trail.
I really want to get there for a demo day, too. Sad that they have such a limited selection, but at least they have a selection! I'm really interested in trying those Wildcats. Also the Wild Belle 78s are intriguing.
Yeah, on one hand it is sorta limited, but given we used to have no mountains with demos, it was nice. The topsheets on the Wild Belle line are nice. Really liked the landscape with mountain and trees. I'll be curious to see what you try and your thoughts if you get there! I also really wanted to try the Head Super Joy, but I'm not really in the market for a carver. Kind of a bummer you're limited to only 3.
Sounds like more demoing in your future to find a love connection?
Not sure. Still liked the Yumis, LOVED them in the bumps, but, yeah, nothing was a wow moment other than the bump run with the Yumis. That was a blast and put a huge smile on my face. Not sure how long I can deal with my current Yumis, though. At this point, I'd rather just ski my race skis, tbh. I may have someone double check the tune on my Yumis, just in case, but I suspect the new boots have put me farther forward, and I've just lost the sweet spot on my skis because of their shorter length. Otherwise, I'm at a loss what the sudden issue is.

shadoj

Angel Diva
I suspect the new boots have put me farther forward, and I've just lost the sweet spot on my skis because of their shorter length.
You have become a better skier, clearly, and have outgrown them! A tune will at least let them ski as well as possible until you find an upgrade. Plus, ready to go if you decide to sell 'em!

I'm not sure what the flex pattern is in your year Yumis; if you're really starting to get forward and drive your skis, it might be fun to try a ski whose stiffness extends further in front of the boot. Maybe this is why the Yumis were so fun in bumps, too; I assume that having bit more flex between tips & center helps with the 3D terrain? I'm still curious as to how the Nordica Santa Ana 84 skis. I'd let you hop on my BP82's if you have the right BSL (265), too.

Defnitely try those Super Joys when your carvers need an upgrade!

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Dare I suggest you try the Kenjas again? They are more accessible since they took some metal out...but I am biased, because I love my full-metal ones despite being barely able to ski them sometimes.

Mudgirl630

Angel Diva
Dare I suggest you try the Kenjas again? They are more accessible since they took some metal out...but I am biased, because I love my full-metal ones despite being barely able to ski them sometimes.
I totally forgot that I had the metal one also! They are nice also.

SnowDancer

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Demo List:
Elan Ripstick 88W 154
Elan Wildcat 82C 152
Head Super Joy 153, 159
Rossignol Nova 8 156
Salomon S/Force W 7 150
Volkl Blaze 94W 151
Volkl Flair 79 149, 156
Volkl Kenja 88 156
Volkl Yumi 84 154
Thank you for the Blue Mountain demo info! I'm in NJ; may try to get there next week.

Using the Blue Mtn demo list tinymoose provided above, I'd appreciate some suggestions for my demo at Blue.

I'm 5'5", 170 lbs, intermediate/advanced senior skier, no bumps (back & knees)
- My favorite skis have been my 2014 Nordica Hells Belles (154) but I feel like they've lost their energy.
- Have 2020 Elan Ripstick 88W (156) that I enjoy out west but not sure how they'll be back home in the east.
- Demoed 2022 Nordica Wild Belles 84 (156) at Steamboat last month, which hadn't had any new snow in a while so conditions were groomers in pretty good shape. I liked them, but they weren't a wow. However, it was our last day of 10 and I was on very tired legs, so I'd like to give them another shot.

I'll bring my own Ripsticks to Blue, their Nordicas are probably too short, will definitely try the Head SuperJoys - what else?

Thanks, ladies!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga