• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Help Needed: Help Me Buy

wendy johnson

Diva in Training
I am a from the east coast and am going to park city next week. I have demoed the burnin luv 156 and the volkl fuego 154 and they were both great I didn't like the solomn origins. There weren't any bumps or powder so I am wondering if I should wait til I get out there to purchase. I am 5'4' and 135. advanced skiier. Also any thoughts on the dynastar legend or Nordicia olympia speed machine? I like speed and bumps and making tight turns on the edge of the slope. I want to be better at powder so I want an east coast ski that will ski in the powder ,does it exist ?

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Hi, Wendy, and welcome to the forum from another Wendy!!!

If you want a ski that's great for the ice and groomed trails in the east, then you're in the right ballpark (especially with the Fuegos. I'm not a K2 fan). That's probably where most of your skiing is, so not a bad choice.

But if you want something that you could use for powder, too, you might consider something wider, like the Volkl Aurora, the Nordica Conquer, or the Head Wild One. These are good on groomers and are wide enough to cut through the crud and powder, too.

Hope you plan to demo in Park City. But think about what you want the skis for, mostly, and keep that in mind when you try them out.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
SkiDiva is on track. If I were you, steer toward the 78 ish range, like the Aurora, Nordica Conquer and the Hart Pulse/Beat.

I recently demo'd the Hart Pulse in Colorado and had a ton of fun. at 77 in the waist, it did nearly everything I wanted and let me enjoy the groomers on the scant snow days.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ditto the above. The Speed and Fuego are awesome on the groomers and ice but neither are very versatile. If you're looking to start skiing pow and crud, go a bit wider than these 2.

If the Aurora is too much, maybe the Tierra or Luna will be more tractable.

Of course, I'd be a bad Diva if I didn't suggest starting a quiver! Get the Speed or Fuego for ice skate days in the east, and a mid-fat twin for deep days and trips out west.

Swamp Dog

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm pretty pleased with the Blizzard Viva Magnum 7.6 IQ. Helluva name, huh?

anyhow, great in typical east coast conditions, and pretty sweet in freshies too. Seems to do everything I ask of it, tight turns and big turns both.

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm an ice coast skier who took 2007 Nordica Victory's (74mm waist) out into two feet of powder this weekend. They floated. This year's model is slightly wider at 78mm. They're a great all-mountain ski.

Slidergirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We're supposed to get snow showers most of next week. But, given the temperatures we're expecting, I wouldn't count on it being fluffy powder. I would suggest, if you want to buy now, you get an all around ski and demo a pow ski if the conditions warrant it. In town, 2 of our local stores, Jans and Cole Sport, have a good supply of demos. There is also an on-hill demo center at the intersection of the Bonanza and Silverlode lifts. But, since you're an EC skier, I would tell you to listen to Ski Diva and the other ECers on a good all-around ski for you for EC conditions. I have a pair of Nordica Victory skis and they work just fine in all of our conditions. I also have a pair of the much-loved-by-Divas Vokl Auras. They are my play skis for when I'm not really interested in heavy carving or when the slopes are NOT hardpan.
I don't think I helped much, did i?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga