• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Help choosing new skis

lauraw

Diva in Training
I'm looking to get some new skis and can't seem to wade through the various conflicting opinions from the kids at the local shops...

I've been skiing on an off for about 10 years. Never for long enough to really get the hang of it but planning to fix that once and for all this season. I'm comfortable with parallel turns on the Greens and easier Blues but revert back to the old snow plow on the more advanced Blues. I'm currently skiing on 170cm Rossignol Energy's which are about 10 years old(diff. shape from todays shape ski's). I'm 5'5", currently ~170lbs(incl. post pregnancy weight, but I'm confident I'll be back sub-150 by next season) and have quite strong legs. I've been out twice this year and expect we'll make it out for another 10 days which will likely include a few hours of private lessons to help get me to the next level. I'd like to find a ski that will be easy enough for me to ski now, but leave room for growth for a couple years or so. Here's what we've found at the local stores, but we're also open to looking harder for recommended ski's....

'07 Atomic B9:7 150cm $499
'08 Hot Minx $499
'08 Cool Minx $399
'07 K2 True Luv 153cm $499
'06 Rossi Passion II 154cm $299
'07 Blizzard Emocion 6900 150cm $279
'07 Elan My Spice 160cm $199
'07 Elan Wild Spice 160cm $199
'08 Roxy Juicy $399
'08 Roxy Sugah $499
'08 Volkl Attiva Oceana $449
'08 Exclusive Active $499
'08 Exclusive Sensation $399
'07 Fischer Vision 20 $249

Sorry for such a large list with such a large range of skis, but we've received many suggestions from the very low end and up....

Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

I'm on the east coast BTW and value edge hold on the hard and crunchy...

-Laura

Sheena

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Does your local ski hill have demos? I know where I skied in the mid-atlantic, they did not get a lot of demo days, however the ski shop at the resort did have high-performance demos for pretty cheap, and I could try up to 5 different skis within a three-hour time frame.

If your local mountain does have demos, then I would see if they have any of the skis you listed and see if you like them.

I got back into skiing about 4 years ago, and had never skied on shaped skis before. I ended up buying a pair of Dynastar Exclusive Carves and I really liked them. They have great edge grip, and helped me a lot with gaining confidence and skills back.

lauraw

Diva in Training
Unfortunately there aren't a lot of demo days around here. I can't seem to find many reviews for women's skis. Its proving to be very frustrating. Not real sure where to go from here.

sbskier

Certified Ski Diva
Is there a ski shop near the mountain? Most offer demos and will credit the cost of the demo toward the purchase of skis. Also, many mountains offer demos in their rental shops.

Good luck

outdoors313

Diva in Training
Choosing skis...

I love researching skis and have demo'd a lot so I can understand your dilema. First, start looking at the dimensions of the skis sidecut as well as the radius. This is the only real difference in skis. You sound like you have muscular legs so you should be in the 157-169 length. Anything shorter will curtail your improvement. The next most important question is where do you want to GO? Bumps? Groomers? Deep snow? Each condition requires a different style of ski. My advice...bumps are knee-killers so start with excelling at groomers and really carving up the slopes.. If you want to float around...a twin tip ski will be fun..but it won't hold an edge or beat through crud. I would get a 400$ ski for groomers and a cheepy bump ski for fun and in 2-3 years... and demo'ing along the way..you will be very very happy! enjoy!

Jilly

Staff member
Try the ski finder on Ski Press. You plunk in the parameters, and a list of skis will follow.

As for your list:

Atomic B9 - heavy ski, Metron. Go for a Hot or Royal Minx
Rossi - Look at an Attraxion, not the Passion (I'm a Rossi fan)
Elangirl will weight in on the elan's you've listed. As will others. Hope we will be of help and not confuse you more.!!

lauraw

Diva in Training
Thanks for all of the advice/recommendations.

I can see how demoing would be helpful in most circumstances. I have skied so sporadically over the last few years that I have no technique. I'm not sure that I would get any useful information out of it. What feels good to me now, will likely feel very different at the end of the season.

My current plan is get a ski that is known to be a good intermediate ski that is known to be good on ice. I plan on taking a few lessons and really improve over the remainder of the season. Hopefully by the end of the season I will have progressed to a solid intermediate, have the made progress on the post pregnancy baby weight (2 kids in 2.5 years - ugh!) and end up with a ski that I can ski with confidence. Maybe I'm being a little ambitious in my thoughts!

I'm currently leaning toward an '07 Fischer Vision 70. It comes highly recommended and has a good reputation for ice grip. Now, I just need to figure out my size! :smile: The 70 is available in a 152 and a 158. The 152 is local and would likely be better when I get down to my regular weight. The 158 is likely better now.

lauraw

Diva in Training
I decided on the Fischer Vision 70 in a 152. I bought them at a local ski shop that also helped to make my boots fit a little better. My husband and I went skiing on Saturday night and had a great time. The conditions were not my favorite (hard pack, some ice, lots of crunchy stuff), but I was able to ski with more confidence than usual. I would like to think it was the ski :smile: So far I'm more than happy with the ski! We are going out again tonight for some New Year's Eve skiing!

Kano

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hopefully by the end of the season I will have progressed to a solid intermediate, have the made progress on the post pregnancy baby weight (2 kids in 2.5 years - ugh!) and end up with a ski that I can ski with confidence. Maybe I'm being a little ambitious in my thoughts!

Naw, you're not being too ambitious!

But, 2 kids in 2.5 years -- that's not "ugh!" That's wise! How long do we want to drag that diaper stage out, anyway! It IS hard on us mommies though, but it will get better, promise! (and it will get worse, and better again, and probably repeat for many years, but don't worry about that now!)

Kano

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I decided on the Fischer Vision 70 in a 152. ..................
:smile: So far I'm more than happy with the ski! We are going out again tonight for some New Year's Eve skiing!
Great! Glad to see you report back. Happy New year!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga