• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Helmet?

Jilly

Staff member
What ever fits your noggin!! They all don't fit the same. Also remember to take your goggles with you. With luck you might not have to buy new ones of those either.

SkiNurse

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What she said!

Lori_K

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yep, buy the one that fits the best. Try on different manufacturers, and different styles. Different styles from the same manufacturer can have a slightly different fit.

Make sure the helmet is snug on your head. No hats or liners--nothing in between your head and your helmet.

That being said, adjustable vents are nice to have. Lots of other features out there too, but the most important is get the best fitting helmet.

Sheena

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I don't know that I can recommend a specific brand. I would suggest that you try several different helmets - I found there is some variation in fit. IMO proper fit is more important than choosing a specific brand.

merrow

Certified Ski Diva
Indeed...the goggles are critical (along with getting in front of a really big mirror to look for any gaps) Bring every pair that you have, because you never know what will work.

Kano

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yeah, that helmet/goggle seam is an important one! I DID have to invest in a very thin helmet liner hat, cuz I was having problems with BRAIN FREEZE! I love the helmet and the goggles, didn't expect the draft cuz all looked fine to me in the mirror. When I have to replace the goggles, or the helmet, I'll look more carefully at the "seam" there on my forehead!

And adjustable ventilation is nice -- some is done with plugs, but I would lose those, so I went with a helmet with sliders.

Karen in Boise

tamlyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have had good luck with Uvex helmets. My old one was a bit more substantial than he newer ones but it was heavy and had no vents. I just replaced it with a Uvex Wing. It is sturdy, comfortable, has good peripheral vision and covers the ears but has vents that open so you can hear...or close if you want peace and quiet. Just make sure you measure your head. The measurements given are accurate. POC also makes a good helmet, alot like the Uvex but $100 more. I picked up a new Uvex on E Bay for $60 + $9 shipping but they run about $200. Both will take a mouth guard which I don't have but plan to get. In the olden days when I was young LOL we were kind of embarrassed to wear a helmet, so we would strap them to our knee. Now that I have epilepsy and it is not unusual to wear one I kind of like them. They are warmer than a hat and i like my teeth!!! I would avoid helmets that are constructed like bike helmets, hard Styrofoam with a thin layer of plastic. If you want a good fiberglass helmet cheap prorider.com has fiberglass helmets for $29.00 delivered. They seem to be sturdy and are rated but you may not like the colors. All the above helmets have goggle straps, which are a must.
Tami (Gravity Girl)

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Look for a helmet that fits firmly and fully on your head. It should come down just above your eyebrows in front and sit fully over the bumps at the bottom back of your head. Make sure it doesn't squeeze your head sideways or front-to-back because that can give you a huge headache. Yet, you want your eyebrows to move with your helmet when you grab it with both hands and move it around. The best fitting helmets will stay on your head without straps if you bend over, head down, and shake your head.

Then, make sure it fits with your goggles, but be prepared to shell out for new goggles if they just don't work together. Helmet fit really is more important.

Comfort features that are a bonus after finding the right fit: adjustable vents, padded chin strap, compatibilty with music systems.

Whatever you do, though, don't buy one because it's cheap or pretty. :nono: Like boots, this is one purchase that should not be done on-line the first time!

mollmeister

Angel Diva
I love the Giro Fuse helmet, but again, every head is different!

^^^ What she said. . . except that the goggle strap/fastener on the back of my helmet *disappeared* after one season, no idea why or where, and I have never been able to locate a replacement.

^^^ What she said. . . except that the goggle strap/fastener on the back of my helmet *disappeared* after one season, no idea why or where, and I have never been able to locate a replacement.

I lost the same item on my first Fuse helmet and REI (where I purchased it) replaced the helmet right away. I have owned 2 since without problems (daughter is using one of them and I'm using the audio helmet).

rangergrrl

Certified Ski Diva
Helmets

I'm a fan of POC helmets. Unfortunately not many places seem to carry them. For my small 21 in head the fit was perfect.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I own a Giro, but I only wear it when it isn't too cold. It has a lot of vents on top that can be opened and closed using a slider, so that may be why it's so chilly.

My usual helmet is a Boeri Tactic. It's a lot warmer than the Giro, and very comfortable. It has vents, too (just not as many), and you have to remove the plugs in the liner to open them up. I also replaced the ear pieces with ones that are configured for audio, which is tons of fun.

Sassy

Diva in Training
Pretty much what everyone else has said: get one that fits. I like my Giro because it has the Roc-Loc system so it can be ratcheted down for a very snug and comfortable fit. Make sure the helmet you have either has vents or a removable liner. It makes a difference. The Giro Fuse has a vent system that allows you to open or close them without having to take your helmet off to remove a liner.

Most importantly, cool that you're getting a helmet. I recommend them to everyone. I wear one not because of my skiing ability but the others around me. When I had an out of control snowboarder crash her board into the back of my head I was sure glad I had the helmet on.

busybeingfree

Certified Ski Diva
Make sure the helmet is snug on your head. No hats or liners--nothing in between your head and your helmet.
QUOTE]

If you try on a helmet without the liner and it fits perfectly, won't it be too tight with the liner?

Thanks for all the "helmet-fitter" tips! I need to go out and get one asap!

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If you try on a helmet without the liner and it fits perfectly, won't it be too tight with the liner?

Thanks for all the "helmet-fitter" tips! I need to go out and get one asap!

I'm pretty sure she means something like a balaclava, not the liner of the actual helmet, don't go take that out in the store.

Noosh

Diva in Training
Thanks so much, everyone, for the great advice!

I think I'm ready to go shopping now.

missyd

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have different helmets .... 3 from R.E.D, 1 from Smith and 1 from Giro G10 (arrived today). As I need an XL (60cm head) size its always difficult to find one. So if there is a nice comfy one I just bought it!
I would say the one from Giro has the best ventilation system and a very nice soft padding!

All of them fit my head perfect .... but not all heads .... so its up to you to try out different models. And best time to buy a helmet ist before the season .... more choice in the shops!

busybeingfree

Certified Ski Diva
I picked up a helmet last night at REI. It's a little girly for me, but it feels great on my head. It's a Giro so I'm going to keep my eyes out for a deal on the the headphone adaptors.

I'm just sad I'll have to part with my cute hat on the slope. :(

Thanks for the tips everyone! I'm ready to shred with confidence!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga