• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Helmet tips

Emski528

Angel Diva
Helmets are probably a lot like boots...fit is super personal. However, I'm purchasing a new helmet for the first time in over a decade. I still love my old Salomon helmet but it is getting a little loose and is pre-MIPs era. Do you have a favorite helmet? What do you look for? I just scored some amazing Smith goggles at Sierra (with day and an extra night lens) for $99 in store. I'm a Smith size medium helmet when I tried on in a ski store today but, for 200 bucks, I want to know it's worth the money. Is there some magic helmet other skiers love? I like to ski aggressively and in the trees so I'm definitely looking for something top-notch, super warm, and snug. Thanks in advance.

Emski528

Angel Diva
I liked the Smith Vida. I ordered the small but it was way too tight. I’m on the border of small medium. Medium in store was very comfortable.

Jilly

Staff member
I love my mission. And I've come over from Salomon too.
There are different fits, oval and round. What Salomon helmet were you in?

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I forgot to ask colour. They have the matte meridian (blue) for $115 on Amazon, but delivery is a week or so out.

Scribble

Angel Diva
My past couple of helmets have been Smith, but I've switched to a POC Obex. It isn't quite as warm as my Quantum was, but the ear pads have a scoop in them that makes it easier to hear what's going on around me. Also, I look less like a bobblehead doll in this one, so that's nice!

brooksnow

Angel Diva
Fit is my primary concern. I want an adjustment in the back, and I have to have vents and removeable ear pieces. The helmet should sit comfortably just above the eyebrows and not wiggle independently when you shake your head.
I'm currently wearing a Giro Avera. It fit my head the best.

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am annoyingly close to being between sizes as well but currently have the Giro Terra in an M. I have a 54.5cm head and most brands the S stops at 55cm, so if I want to put a warm thing under my helmet I'm in trouble in a S! I got it on sale but honestly, my brain is necessary for the job that gives me the money to ski, so $200 is not really that much to help reduce serious brain injury in the event of a crash. From listening to the Blister podcasts, it does sound like better tech and more thought goes into the higher end helmets in general in terms of thinking about the type of impact, warmth vs vents etc.

Mudgirl630

Angel Diva
I am annoyingly close to being between sizes as well but currently have the Giro Terra in an M. I have a 54.5cm head and most brands the S stops at 55cm, so if I want to put a warm thing under my helmet I'm in trouble in a S! I got it on sale but honestly, my brain is necessary for the job that gives me the money to ski, so $200 is not really that much to help reduce serious brain injury in the event of a crash. From listening to the Blister podcasts, it does sound like better tech and more thought goes into the higher end helmets in general in terms of thinking about the type of impact, warmth vs vents et

Mudgirl630

Angel Diva
Over the years, I wore POC. They are very technically andanced. Even that, 4 years is the life span, without any hard impact applied.

Lately, I wear Indigo and Casco, both made in Italy. These are much higher price range. Supposed to last 8 years without any high impact incidents. The outer materials are, unlike typical ski helmet, much more dense materials.

Emski528

Angel Diva
This is all so helpful. I think I’ll go with the $200 vida since I’ve had a chance to try it on and it was comfortable. Very bug- like but I kinda dig that look I like the vents and the elastic goggle strap. Something interesting I noticed… the same helmet name can be sold with and without MIPS. It’ll look like you’re getting a killer deal but that price difference is because there’s no MIPS. Buyer beware. The MIPS protection is important to me because trees are hard. Thanks everyone! I appreciate all the responses.

CyberLola

Certified Ski Diva
I haven't had any terrible crash that I hit my head on a hard surface like a rock and test how good my helmet is to protect me, just the normal crash on my back,butt or knees (now even more that I've switched to freestyle and crashing so much as I learn), but I like Alpina helmets. I bought a new helmet for this season and went directly to buy a new Alpina. I like how they fit my head, no gaps, no strange noises, no crazy wind coming through the ear protection and the strap is nice and soft, I can tight it without strangulating me.

shadoj

Angel Diva
I have the Smith Mission in small. I believe it's the men's version of the Liberty, just with less fuzzy insides (my preference). Love it!

lisamamot

Angel Diva
I just scored some amazing Smith goggles at Sierra (with day and an extra night lens) for $99 in store. I'm a Smith size medium helmet when I tried on in a ski store today but, for 200 bucks, I want to know it's worth the money. Is there some magic helmet other skiers love?
Fit is most important - both the fit on your head and the alignment with your goggles. If the Smith fit, that isn't an outrageous price for a MIPS helmet with features (vents, audio compatible, etc.). I expect it would also have good integration with your new goggles. If you go to a shop to try on helmets, bring your goggles with you. I was in a Sierra store before Christmas and they had Smith and Giro MIPS helmets at a nice price, but they could be long gone.

I wear the Giro Stellar MIPS medium. Giro seems to fit my head the best, plus it integrates very well with my Anon WM1 and WM3 goggles.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga